DAnce with dragons *SPOILERS FOR ALL FIVE BOOKS*

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Is it wrong to like rape jokes?

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother." - Roose Bolton

I just finished that chapter!

I'm not exactly bored with the Dany chapters, but I think i know what the problem with her chapters IS.. nothing ever happens. We were expecting her to be more like she was in GoT, I THINK. Hopefully everything is about to change soon.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
JAIME!

Woohoo! I guess that means I'm finally past where Feast and Dance are part of the same time frame, and into the FUTURE. I shouldn't celebrate much, I'm sure the future is bleak :rwmad:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
GRRM filled A Dance with Dragons with lots of descriptions that I could do without.. I don't need to know ever color of the damn bricks, and clothes, hair and STUFF. It's like he describes all these things just to fill up the chapters and then at the very end of the chapters something great (or awful) happens and the chapter ends RIGHT THERE and then when that person's POV comes back they've gone on past the good stuff and back to more describing of the scenery.

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
don't tell me he's turning into Jean M Auel! Say it aint so!

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
Oh..... MAI.......GAWD:
Snape Kills Dumbledore

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Finished this morning!

Cock, I don't think so. The chapter ended, without saying so FOR SURE. ALSO, GRRM gave an interview and said something that makes me think he isn't. I will search for the interview and post the link.

Captainwacky, I think we should have a thread with spoilers so we don't have to post everything inside tags and tell people who haven't finished to stay the fuck OUT. IMO!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
DOUBLE FUCKING POST :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I could just edit "SPOILERS" into the title of this thread?

NO ONE is dead unless we actually see them die and are presented with their headless body (actually, even that isn't a guarantee, EH ROBERT STRONG!)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
YES, edit spoilers into the title or something!

Who is Robert Strong? He's the knight who's going to champion Cersei, right? Is he The Hound? I was reading that chapter today, but I kept thinking about the Hound.

CaptainWacky

Gregor, possibly without a head!

The Hound is off on some island with monks or something.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OR he's The Mountain, and the skull belonged to someone else. The Zombie Mountain.

AAAHHHH, or headless as you said. lol

CaptainWacky

I don't think dwarfes have skulls as larger as Gregor's.

Homo Erectus

there was a passage where somebody was looking at one of teh dwarves overkarge skull and the inference was made. I'll try and find the passgae but it was implied that this was going to become the skull they sent south.

CaptainWacky

I forgot that and I still think a headless zombie would be cool.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Some people think it's the dwarf septa's head (sent to Dorne) and some people think there's nothing inside Gregor's helm but mushy blood because of a dream Bran had in GoT. It probably was the dwarf head BUT yeah a headless mountain would be cool.

CaptainWacky

I need to read the webpage with all the prophecies again to see what's come true.

One thing when re-reading A Clash Of Kings I noticed was Jon seeing Bran's face in a weirwood tree. GOOD FORESHADOWING.

CaptainWacky

So I did mean to write an actualy review of this book but kept putting it back becasue I had so many meandering thoughts that I couldn't quite put down...but a meandering review would be quite suitable for this meandering book.

Basically, it's a disappointing book. I'm sure part of that is because was waited so long for it (and I only started reading the books in about 2006/7 so other people waited even longer) but it's also because it just isn't as good as books one to three. It's a bit better than book four, but I'm sure in time I'll be thinking of books four and five as being one big book since they cover the same time period. And despite the massive page count from that one massive book, it still doesn't cover as many events as any of the previous three.

SOME PEOPLE have said that there's too much description and of stuff and too much space is wasted and I agree that's partly true, though I do LIKE the description too. It makes the world feel real. I think it's only annoying because the book spends so much time on setting the scene then cuts out before any of the big events actually happen! The battle at Meereen, the battle for Winterfell...we don't get to either of them. It would be like if A Clash Of Kings finished before the Battle of Blackwater.

And that's MY issue with the book, it doens't feel complete. Despite being so long, it doens't feel like a lot happens in it. The three stories with the most pages (Jon, Dany, Tyrion) all meander at points and seem full of repetition. How many times does Jon have the same conversation with Bowen Marsh about wildinglings? How many times do we get the vows of the Night's watch repeated? How many fucking times do we need the raven saying "corn"? All of this would be fine if we got some resolution to the storyline, but we get a cheap cliffhanger instead. The first three books weren't so full of cliffhangers, they had some degree of resolution and then new plot threads set up for the next book to keep you readnig. This book just cuts out before any of the stories are resolved.

NOT SAYING I didn't enjoy it. The Theon story is the most satifying as it has a beginning and an end (he goes from thinking of himself as Reek to thinking of himself as Theon.) The Bran chapters are really good...but there's only three of them and they cut out halfway through the book. The Davos chapters are just getting good...then they cut out half way through. OOPS, I'm complaining agani. Wyam Manderly kicks ass. That's good. But those Dany chapters...those Tyrion chapters...the Jaime chapter is good but then ends with yet another cheat cliffhanger...it's just all unsatisfying. It should have been longer or the same length but with some stuff cut out (I'm looking at you, Quentyn) and more resolution. But instead we're going to wait another five years to get parts of the story that should have been told in this book...