DOLLHOUSE SEASON TWO discussion thread

SAUSAGEMAN

He didn't take over the Dollhouse last week, he took over the Dollhouse during the first commercial break: there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it "Three Months Later" caption coming out of it.

I also liked these episodes a lot. You do have to think, though, that maybe, just maybe, the series would've been more successful if Whedon hadn't waited 20 fucking episodes before giving his protagonist a character.

It took a lot of explanation to tell my roommates how we knew Paul was alive in the future, because there were flashbacks to the past, in the future.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Wow, I totally missed that caption. That really does help a lot (Echo suddenly being a nurse was jarring too...but by the second episode it was clear three months had passed. Still should have been a bigger caption!)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
ARGggluleee it hurts so much when the show is so good because it's dead.

But I like that they've seemed to kick the narrative into overdrive now, as we're finally getting to the interesting stuff.

What this made me realise is that if the show had been about The Dollhouse as the main focus, about DeWitt and Topher and Boyd and Saunders and the various different actives going on various assignments, it would be such a better show than "Eliza Dushku presents: The Dollhouse (oh there are some other characters but HEY I WONDER WHAT ELIZA'S CHARACTER IS DOING???)".

CaptainWacky

I agree.

SAUSAGEMAN

Really? I noticed back in season 1 that the quality of an episode was inversely proportional to the amount of Dushku in it.

See: annoying Blue Skies episode vs Epitaph One.

CaptainWacky

Yeah, that's been obvious from the start. What were you thinking, Tomtrek!?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Which one of you is saying the episodes about Echo were better? I AM R CONFUSED.

CaptainWacky

No one is.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh, I SEE.

CaptainWacky

Episode 9: This one was pretty good, though I would have liked maybe a bit more of Victor's backstory and to see what Anthony is really like. Though I suppose the point was that there wasn't much to him without the army. I never would have guessed he'd end up joining the Borg.

Drunk DeWitt was entertaining.

Episode 10: Okay, this one was pretty insane. They packed a lot into it (probably why they cut the opening titles). Good to see Mister Dominic again.

I SUSPECT that this episode was written (or re-written) after they knew this was the last season and that's why they stuck all that backstory about Rossum in. Maybe Clive 2.0 is Harding?

I ALSO SUSPECT (NOT a spoiler just awesome speculation) that the reason Boyd is busy at home is because AMY ACKER has shown up at his house and they've been having the sex.

Frankenstein Helo was funny. I think we're supposed to think they took his love for Echo away from him.

The ending was pretty mind-blowing with the "WTF DEWITT IS GOOD AGAIN" and the whole team ready to fight...

But we know they're going to lose thanks to Epitaph One, right? Yet some of the flashbacks in Epitaph One seem hard to make fit now...or do they? I'LL HAVE TO RESEARCH.

ONLY THREE MORE EPISODES, FUCK.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yet some of the flashbacks in Epitaph One seem hard to make fit now...or do they? I'LL HAVE TO RESEARCH.

The only flachback in Epitaph One that doesn't work now was the one with Ballard and Echo in the lift where she says the headaches are getting worse, but it now does make sense as we see that very scene be one of her fake memories in The Attic.

CaptainWacky

Yeah I thought when I saw that it was that scene but forgot to mention it...I DID.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Also I'm glad DeWitt isn't actually evil, as I find DeWitt a much more interesting and likable character, so in the scenes where she was arguing with Echo I was totally hoping she'd win (would make for a more interesting show!).

CaptainWacky

Well, I'm a bit confused about the whole DeWitt thing. I take it she was GENUINELY evil last week, considering she gave Rossum the potentially lethal technology? But the guilt turned her to alcohol and it was only after Boyd told her off that she decided to become good and send Echo into the Attic? RIGHT?

ANYWAY, I was looking at Epitaph One's wikipedia page...

In an "Epitaph One" flashforward, we see a future where Clive Ambrose (in Victor's body) now offers the Dolls bodies for upgrades to their richest clients, offering immortality and physical perfection

So we already have seen Clive 2.0.

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
This is the first time I've actually been shocked by a show in a long time. TWICE IN ONE EPISODE, mind you.

I'll be sad to see this show go, add it to the list of shows like Life, Eastwick, The Night Rider remake (I KNOW I KNOW), that I really loved, and got cancelled before their time :(

SAUSAGEMAN

I laughed for like ten minutes when Doctor Claire "Doctor AWESOME" Saunders shot Bennett. She had the exact same look as when she was antagonising Topher for fun in the beginning of the season, and I just adore that she hates him that much.