Guns Don't Kill People, Gun Control Kills People

Tyrant

For months now, Ugandan army troops have been garrisoned in the northeast part of the country under orders to disarm the local populace—pastoral, cattle-herding tribes known as the Karamojong. The army is attempting, and failing, to quash an uprising which was caused by a prior attempt to disarm the same tribes.

But in its effort to "disarm," the Ugandan army, supported by tanks and helicopter gunships, is burning down villages, sexually torturing men, raping women, and plundering what few possessions the tribespeople own. Tens of thousands of victims have been turned into refugees.

http://reason.com/news/show/118708.html

THERE ARE MANY GUNS WHERE THERE ARE GUN-RELATED CRIMES... THEREFORE, GUNS MUST BE THE ROOT OF THE CRIMES. GOo d sd show!

Cranky Bastard

Messenger said:
http://reason.com/news/show/118708.html

THERE ARE MANY GUNS WHERE THERE ARE GUN-RELATED CRIMES... THEREFORE, GUNS MUST BE THE ROOT OF THE CRIMES. GOo d sd show!

And by the same logic, pencils cause misspellings! Oh noes!!1!

24.gif

The Question

Eternal
State-ordered disarmament ---> abuse of the people by the state.

Always.

The Question

Eternal
No, now they have stabbings and stonings, don't they? Human nature > idealistic fantasism, every single time.

Guns just make things more convienent to express what people will do anyway. It's more effort to swing a machetti than to pull a trigger.

But...if you were going to be killed by some crazed psycho, would you rather be shot or hacked to death?

Guns don't kill...People WITH guns kill...and will kill with a myriad of other things if gun's aren't available.
-SB

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Lone "Crazy Psycho" Killers have stopped. The legislation has worked.

The Gun crime we have now in the UK is now around drug and "Yardie" culture. It is very localised to particular cities.

I would be interested in any links to a rise in lone psycho stabbing and stonings. Stonings in particular would interest me. Facts might be nice.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
A 37 percent increase in violent crime in London was recorded in the year ended March 2004 and is the latest annual statistic available for the city. Police didn't give figures for assaults on parking attendants. Violent crime in the U.K. rose 6 percent in the three months through September, prompted by an increase in offenses involving alcohol or guns, according to police figures released in January.

Does not contradict what I stated in my post. Looking forward to the rise in stonings in the UK in particular!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
There has certainly been a rise in gun crime in England, London in particular, but Headvoid is right. The gun crime increase can be attributed to gang-culture and it is still as rare as it has ever been top see a gun releated murder outside of that pocket of pseudo-culture.

You will go to prison for 5 years just for being in possesion of a gun that isn't licenced. (and licencing is kept pretty much for Farmers only.)

But, I do agree that trying to push the same model on America is basically impossible. It is a different situation and the size of the country and many other variables should be considered.

But the fact remains that these 'flip-out and kill people' psychos who shoot up schools and malls just don't happen in the UK.

Acrimonious

headvoid said:
The UK used to have lone killer school shootings. It doesn't happen any more.

No, now they just have stabbings instead.

Acrimonious

Steps to establish a tyrannical regime or dictatorship:

1. Disarm the people.
2. Remove the freedom of speech, the press, and the right for people to peacably assemble.
3. Confiscate private property.

The UK is just one step closer to tyranny than the U.S. is, that's all. One step closer to red China or the failed U.S.S.R.

Acrimonious

headvoid said:

Here's one link. I'm sure I can drudge up more of them from British sources.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5366544.stm

Some highlights:
"An audit at The Royal London Hospital found a rise in admissions for stabbing injuries over the last decade.

The evidence appears to show that knife injuries are an epidemic, the team told the British Medical Journal."

"In London last year there were 1,200 reported stabbings, and 30% of homicides involved a knife, police and Home Office data show."

"Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said: "This is a direct consequence of Labour's failure to tackle violent crime on our streets."

In summary: Guns are banned. Violent crimes are now being comitted with knives. Violent crime is on the rise. The government has failed to control it and is calling it an epidemic. If half of the citizens in the U.K. were armed with concealed pistols (and the bobbies were allowed to carry pistols) criminals might think twice about muggings, beatings, stabbings, and shootings.

Cranky Bastard

People will kill people with whatever is at hand - thus invalidating the idea that a certain tool causes murder.

As if pencils cause misspellings.

Acrimonious

headvoid said:
Lone "Crazy Psycho" Killers have stopped. The legislation has worked.

The Gun crime we have now in the UK is now around drug and "Yardie" culture. It is very localised to particular cities.

I would be interested in any links to a rise in lone psycho stabbing and stonings. Stonings in particular would interest me. Facts might be nice.

You wanted a link to a lone psycho stabber? Here's a Brit-stabber for you, and a cupcakeer at that. They let him out to go shopping recently. Apparently he went nuts in a department store and stabbed 17 people.

In the decent states in America (the ones without draconian gun laws) he would have been shot.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006380337,00.html