I miss Carl Sagan

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
[YOUTUBE]AwTJXHNP0bg[/YOUTUBE]

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I've noticed how Brian Cox is in a different location with every new sentence he speaks.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I love love love Brian Cox (can you believe he's 42 he looks younger than my and I look young for my age?!) and I think his show is pretty good, especially the visuals, but... *deep breath* I miss Carl Sagan too. I've been going through Cosmos for a few months now and it's just perfect. Every episode is so absorbing and engaging. He was a brilliant man. I've been perfecting an impersonation of him lately.

And I love Contact, too. I didn't even realise he'd written it til I read his wiki entry.

mrcrazyman

I have to agree, Carl Sagan was awesome. I read sci fi sometimes, and I prefer the stuff that's more theoretically possible over the mare fantasy based stuff.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
The thing about Brian Cox is that he constantly uses analogies. He did the "We are stardust" Carl Sagan episode last night. In fact, he called the episode stardust, I would suggest as a homage.

It was actually quite good.

The only problem is that sometimes, the explosion of a super nova is NOT ACTUALLY LIKE giving a million walnuts to indonesian tree squirrels. Sometimes, it is fine to talk about the star exploding.

He did a scene where he was in a derelict Brazilian jail, and as he went further into the jail he spray painted elements on the wall. Compelling, but half the way through it suddenly occured to me that the Brazilian Jail was kind of pointless...

Carl was more poetic, but at least Cox exists for my kids now.

Every generation of kids needs a Sagan figure.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Brian Cox is cool and I'm just happy to have a new show following in the footsteps of Cosmos being produced at all. It is a bit distracting watching some of the more pointless location shooting because it can remind me that you have to tease and cater to a populace that needs new things to look at constantly just to pay attention. But it's a small gripe.

As for Carl Sagan.. well, I miss him too. He's one of my heroes and left a profound impact on me as a child and still does today. No one can really replace him for me.

I am a big fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson these days as well. His enthusiasm and eccentricity is infectious and he is also producing shows that are heavily influenced by Sagan's work. Check him out if you haven't already.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I think if you've seen Cosmos then Wonders appear a pale copy, despite its improved visuals. The depth just isn't there. Carl Sagan could really go into these subjects in depth, without using umpteen metaphors or cutting edge special effects and without being filmed from a helicopter as he crossed a road and it was still interesting and exciting. I've actually been finding Wonders of the Universe a little boring, because it takes so long to get to the point. And when it does get to the point, I find myself bored because it's taken so long to get there. And it's annoying when he repeats the same idea again and again with the words rearranged. I suppose some of that is because it's aimed at a wide audience and intended to be a sort of entry level introduction to cosmology, but like you, I find the metaphors tend to muddy the waters (so to speak). You don't need to say what everything's like, just say what it is.

Oh and I don't like it when he gets out those pictures on cards. It's kind of cheap looking and less effective than actually showing the full image on screen. When he showed the "pale blue dot" image the paper was so reflective and it had so many creases in it that it must have been pretty difficult to figure out for anyone unfamiliar with the photo. It's like banging on about how wonderful the Mona Lisa is, but instead of going to the Louvre, or putting the image on screen, he's pointing at a 5 year old's crayon reinterpretation going "ain't it grand?!"

The next episode is supposed to have some material on Sagan, though, so that's good. I still think Prof Cox should've credited him for that "we are the universe made conscious" type line.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It is very entry level stuff. Cosmos was accessible to almost everybody as well but if you compare the Cosmos episode on Kepler and planetary motion for example then you can see that WotU is not quite there yet. Comos gave me, as a kid, a great launch pad of knowledge to start seeking out more advanced stuff in various books and other media as it did many others who bothered. I'm sure that a lot of kids and adults watching Brian Cox will also be inspired to seek out more information but it's still not nearly as inspiring as Cosmos was.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Brian Cox is HOT, imo. lol

I love his Wonders of the Solar System series, and his Universe series will be on in the US this summer, if anyone in Americaland is wondering.

CaptainWacky

Patrick Moore is really fat now.

CaptainWacky

But it's good that he's still alive!

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I believe Patrick Moore is going to give us one last gift.

He will expand rapidly, forming the equivilant of a Red Giant before rapidly contracting and going Supernova. He maintains he will produce heavy metals and in fact "shit gold" at the final gasp to beat all previous astronomers.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
What a coincidence, now he lives a couple of miles from me.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Does he ride a motorcycle?