I miss Carl Sagan

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I hope Patrick Moore's last words are "I always prefered Gamesmaster to Sky At Night."

CaptainWacky

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I almost tweeted my love for Dr COX.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Ironic that he claims to be against luddites in that article, yet if ever there was an essay on a luddite view of our knowledge of the cosmos, that was it.

CaptainWacky

JessieXL
Yesterday 11:59 PM
Has Brendan O'Neill actually responded to any of the criticisms of this article?
Report Recommend
idiotwatch
Today 12:26 AM
Recommended by
2 people
no, from what i hear he's working on his next major composition - an arty piece of cultural genocide critiquing funeral homes because they suggest that the dignity of the human essence is limited by mortality. Expect it to be due in 6 weeks.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
What a ridiculous article from what an overblown, incredibly naive know-nothing. "Raising the horizons of humanity" my arse!

For anyone who is scrolling through the comments looking for Brian Cox's response, here it is:

I have to comment on this article, primarily because it has so spectacularly missed the point of the series and misrepresented my views on the importance of science, engineering and human progress. I'll do so by posting a few paragraphs from the Wonders of the Universe book, which Mr O'Neill would do well to read.

From the introduction:

The scientific project is ultimately modest: It doesn’t seek universal truths and it doesn’t seek absolutes; it simply seeks to understand, and therein lies its power and value. Science has given us the modern world, of that there can be no doubt. It has improved our lives beyond measure; increased life expectancy, decreased child mortality, eradicated many diseases and rendered many more impotent. It has given many of us the gift of time, freed us from the drudgery of mere survival and allowed us to open our minds and explore. Science is therefore a virtuous circle, its discoveries creating more time and wealth that we can, if we are wise, invest in further voyages of exploration and discovery. But for all its undoubted usefulness, I maintain that science is fuelled not by utilitarian desire but by curiosity. The exploration of the universe and its wonders is as important as the search for new medical treatments, new energy sources or new technologies, because ultimately all these valuable advances rest on an understanding of the basic laws that govern everything in nature, from atoms to black holes and everything in-between. This is why curiosity driven science is the most valuable of pursuits, and this is why we must continue our journey into the darkness.

And from the last page:

As the great astronomer Carl Sagan wrote:

“It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

Just as we and all life on Earth stand on this tiny speck adrift in infinite space, so life in the universe will only exist for a fleeting, dazzling instant in infinite time, because life, just like the stars, is a temporary structure on the long road from order to disorder.

But that doesn’t make us insignificant, because life is the means by which the Universe can understand itself, if only for an instant. And this is what we’ve done in our brief moments on Planet Earth. We have sent space probes to the edge of our solar system and beyond; we have built telescopes that can glimpse the oldest and most distant stars and we have discovered and understood at least some of the natural laws that govern the cosmos. This, ultimately, is why I believe we’re important. Our true significance lies in our continuing desire to understand and explore this beautiful Universe.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I really liked it when Carl Sagan said "billion."

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked it when he'd say "soup".

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
FUCK.. for some reason I can't copy paste from inside FUDDLEMIFF's spoiler tags.. but I like what Prof. Cox said about life being the means by which the universe can understand itself. I just recently read a book by Greg Iles called The Footprints of God, where that same notion was explored a bit.

CaptainWacky

WHEN WE DIE WE REJOIN THE UNIVERSAL COLLECTIVE AND REPORT BACK ON WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED...MY REPORT WILL BE "NATALIE PORTMAN IS NICE."

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I WILL CONCUR WITH YOUR REPORT AS I JUST SAW AN AD FOR HER NEW MOVIE AND SHE IS WEARING LESS CLOTHES.

CaptainWacky

Your Highness?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
YES! (I hope it doesn't suck)

CaptainWacky

It looks...okay. I think Natalie will be by far the best thing about it. She seems to be funnier in it than the guy who's supposed to be the funny one...

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Next he's doing The Wonders of Life

""Wonders of Life" will be a physicst's take on life / natural history. One idea is to explore how the laws of nature shape and restrict living organisms. For example, is there a limit to how good an eye can be, given the wavelength of visible light. The answer is obviously yes, but it's interesting to explore whether this limit has been reached, in birds of prey for example.

We'll also be looking at the underlying biochemcial processes that power life in detail. Photosynthesis, respiration .... and ask questions such as "Why do living things have to die?"

There will be lots of loud music, grand helicopter shots and me stood legs apart on mountains :)"

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There was a live Q&A today with Prof. Cox on the Guardian website, I submitted my own question, but did someone else from here send this?

Prof. Cox,

Who invented the skip...?

CaptainWacky

No, but every time there's a Q&A with Cox anywhere on the internet we all should send that question.