Star Trek: Discovery season 4

StarMan™

***SPOILERS*** kind of I guess. Well, nothing too spoiler-y. Do you really care?

Well, I saw the episode was available in my region (on our free-to-air streaming service). I thought what the hell, I'm not paying (well I suppose I am via my taxes) - one episode won't hurt, right?

Dear lord, what a mission. It took three attempts to finish the episode (the first check out was after “saxophone lessons”).

And I'm only referring to the first episode. Once the credits rolled after "let's fly", I couldn't have switched it off faster. Call it hyperbole if you want, but I had zero desire to watch the next episode.

That was bad – but so quintessentially Discovery.

Any glimmer of hope for this show’s improvement faded away somewhere in season 3. Yet, here I am, unable to resist checking in on its final stretch.

Olatunde Osunsanmi returns to direct, their trademark style in full force. This show tries so hard to be cool, yet despite its efforts - and those neck-breaking camera angles - it ends up being all style and no substance.

What's a Red Directive? Dunno. But apparently, it’s super-duper-important, except no one seems to take it seriously. Orders are disregarded as if they're just suggestions. What matters is that Michael Burnham must know the stakes and the reasons behind it all. She simply can't accept that it’s important, highly classified, and her job to execute it - a job she fails at least twice in one episode. No doubt a reprimand will be forthcoming – oh, what's that, Kovich? Yes, of course, she should spearhead the team. Silly me.

Perhaps you might be conjuring up a precedent set by some other Starfleet officer to render the above critique null and void. Sure, you could reference any number of episodes from the canon. But no matter which past episode you choose, were they ever this... obnoxious about it all?

The problem with Burnham in this episode is the same as every other – she's boring and ofttimes unlikeable. [note: as this is C&P'ed from my Jammer / TrekBBS review, I opted to be more diplomatic. What I actually wanted to say was "She's a bit of a dick. Probably an asshole"]

Oh yes, her and Book started their little private little remember when … bit again. That’s always fun.

At least there’s Strange New Worlds. While watching this episode’s splendiferous CGI sequences, I couldn’t help but wonder how many extra episodes we could’ve squeezed out of SNW S2 if they’d just Batgirl’d (or Prodigy’d) this season. More SNW is the only Trek I have a shred of interest these days. They’ve only managed to get one live-action project right (apologies to those worshipping at the feet of Matalas) - just do that exclusively for a bit and give it all the damn money.

Unfortunately, with the direction Paramount is heading, I wouldn't bank on SNW getting a long run.

I went in with low expectations. Normally I get something out of Disco's whiz bang openers, airheaded as they typically are. But this time round, it did nothing for me.

A properly bad episode, but so very Disco - like they've taken the essence of the show and concentrated it into something even more ... Disco-ish. <shudder>

A thoroughly deserved 1 / 5

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I still vaguely think I'll give in and watch season 4 by the end of summer.

StarMan™

I still vaguely think I'll give in and watch season 4 by the end of summer.

If it's a struggle, just do ep. 1, 2, then skip to the penultimate (pay close attention to the recap) then the finale. I think I might do that for this season of Disco, though I don't know how I'll find the will to get thru episode 2.

What I've noticed is they lay most of the groundwork for the mystery in the first couple of episodes, then the draaaag kicks in.

What's funny is - whether it's Picard or Disco - you can be guaranteed the reveal that finally satisfies the "what is going on?" part of your brain is invariably saved for the second-to-last episode. Take Picard S3: because of this rule, they finished two episodes in a row with "what's behind the red door, Jack?". lol, they had to engineer a whole episode of story gymnastics and fluff to drag it out one more episode, just to finish on the same note as the previous. But in the penultimate episode they lay it all out in quick succession to prep for the action-packed finale, which is filled with lots of pretty 'splosion to distract from the gaping plot holes.

Speaking of 'splosions, Nu Trek has been a disappointment on the space battle front. I still get more out of DS9's big battle scenes, or Voyager S4 onwards, (or Babylon 5, or nuBSG, or The Orville) than anything made recently. Disco's premiere Battle of the Binary Stars was alright, and possibly the only instance of a proper multi-ship engagement. The Disco S2 finale was just a soup of drones and laser fire. The Picard series finale - which certainly teased an epic battle - was another big letdown, with one monolithic fleet firing at a Starbase.

(I like space battles)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I did decide to start watching Season 4 and it's, like, fine? It's not good, definitely not as good as even the worse episodes of, say, Lower Decks or Strange New Worlds, but it's not actively bad like Picard or earlier Discovery. It's just sort of there. Michael still sucks though.

The overall plot so far is actually quite good and interesting it just takes forever to actually do anything. It's fine to have on in the background I guess!

StarMan™

I did decide to start watching Season 4 and it's, like, fine? It's not good, definitely not as good as even the worse episodes of, say, Lower Decks or Strange New Worlds, but it's not actively bad like Picard or earlier Discovery. It's just sort of there. Michael still sucks though.

While other characters are given the odd side quest or mini arc (which are either forgotten or abruptly wrapped up to clear the deck for the mystery box resolution), there's no getting away from the reality that Michael is the nexus of the show. It succeeds or fails on SMG's performance and the realization of her character. If the character doesn't work for you, it's a tough thing to get past.

I didn't mind Burnham in the first season, where Fuller's creative direction was still present. I actually quite liked the show, up until Lorca's turn to moustache-twirling villainy. I have to wonder what his long-term plan for Burnham was - I suspect something more nuanced than the turn to action hero savior.

There were kinks to iron out of the first season - as is the case with many shows. Instead, they retooled it. That's where they started to lose me.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SELF SEALING STEM BOLTS!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've only seen episode 1 so far. I didn't know it was back until yesterday. Either I wasn't in the mood for it, or it was just kinda of blah? I have been a defender of Discovery from the start, I thought it wasn't the best Trek ever, but not the worst either. I really enjoyed some of it, but missed the standalone nature of Trek where they have adventures and problems they solve, but also sometimes a bigger thing that spans the season or more than one season. Maybe this was Disco's attempt to have that adventure inside the overarching theme, but I can see they struggle with it! I'll watch the 2nd one tonight.

(they should totally bring the totally not Data back to life)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

I think we should watch this instead.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Three episodes in, and it's not getting any better.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I didn't think the day would come when they would put out new star trek and I wouldn't be interested in seeing it, but here we are.

To be fair the same thing happened with enterprise. These are the only two shows where I haven't seen every episode.

StarMan™

I'm two episodes into not-watching. Just didn't have the will to watch episode 2.

I'm going thru with my lil' experiment: check back in on the second-to-last episode, pay attention to the recap and see how well I follow along.

I didn't think the day would come when they would put out new star trek and I wouldn't be interested in seeing it, but here we are.

To be fair the same thing happened with enterprise. These are the only two shows where I haven't seen every episode.

I think I dropped ENT sometime during S2.

There were other factors. It wasn't airing locally or available of VHS. The only way to obtain episodes was via the high seas. Back then the only option was dial up. I remember episodes taking north of 24 hours to download and sometimes, there'd be a fuck up with the connection and I'd have to start over. I would have persisted if I were enjoying it, which I was not.

Eventually caught up a few years down the track and thought the Xindi arc was okay. And some of the mini-arcs in the final season were alright.

I used to be excited for anything new, once. :(

StarMan™

I don't know if it's my imagination, but are Star Trek fans particularly fragile these days?

Over at TrekMovie, I noticed for some time that my comments were no longer accepted. Odd. So the other day, I used a different email and hey presto, it was submitted.

My latest comment amounted to not watching the latest season, sounded like it was truckin' along like it always did and had hit the molasses mid-season and finally, that I would tune back in on the penultimate episode. The post was locked by whoever runs the place - Anthony Pascale I think his name is. Blacklisted again. Who is he? This Anthony rings a bell so presumably he posted at TrekBBS. Does he remember me / have an axe to grind? Others on Trekmovie say far worse.

And I've also been hit with a few temp bans over at the Startrek subreddit. Seems any bit of snark is cause for hand-wringing and the usual gatekeeping crap from the dutifully-consume-all-content crowd.

And finally, TrekBBS, which also seems to have a contingent of full-time gatekeepers who defend against any snark.

Fuck. We used to bitch about Star Trek and it was good. Yeah, people sometimes moaned about "trolls", but by-and-large active debate and disagreement on things was more accepted. Now, what were once lively forums for discussion / debate have shrunken into insufferable echo chambers.

Side: TrekBBS used to be cool with Babe of the Week threads. But everyone got sensitive and now, objectifying hot women is terrible even though every single guy fucking does it (and females - don't bloody deny you objectify slabs of meat like Cavill and Hemsworth, 'cause I know you do - my partner certainly does) - and they're shut down.

Damnit, Internet. What became of you?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
My theory for a while has been that the Trekkies think that if there's too many negative comments about Star Trek, Paramount will take it away from us again. We all lived through the wilderness years between Enterprise and Discovery where we had no weekly Trek (just a couple of movies that some hated.) I can understand not wanting to go back to that, but also calm the fuck down, nerds. We should be able to complain about modern Trek RUNING THE BREEN (I heard that's a thing) or whatever; you're probably doing more towards killing Trek by making us feel unwelcome than we'd be doing by bitching about them getting uniform pips wrong or whatever.

Side: TrekBBS used to be cool with Babe of the Week threads. But everyone got sensitive and now, objectifying hot women is terrible even though every single guy fucking does it (and females - don't bloody deny you objectify slabs of meat like Cavill and Hemsworth, 'cause I know you do - my partner certainly does) - and they're shut down.

I blame the drooling smiley for that. They should have just removed that and let the discussion of attractive ladies (AND MEN, I remember there was a genre hunnk thread too) go. Also the whole poll system was flawed as you could vote "thumbs down" for the girls and nobody can tell me anyone on TrekBBS had the right to give Jeri Ryan or whoever a thumbs down.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I was just about to post that Disco made the Breen lame!

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
I don't know if it's my imagination, but are Star Trek fans particularly fragile these days?

Over at TrekMovie, I noticed for some time that my comments were no longer accepted. Odd. So the other day, I used a different email and hey presto, it was submitted.

My latest comment amounted to not watching the latest season, sounded like it was truckin' along like it always did and had hit the molasses mid-season and finally, that I would tune back in on the penultimate episode. The post was locked by whoever runs the place - Anthony Pascale I think his name is. Blacklisted again. Who is he? This Anthony rings a bell so presumably he posted at TrekBBS. Does he remember me / have an axe to grind? Others on Trekmovie say far worse.

And I've also been hit with a few temp bans over at the Startrek subreddit. Seems any bit of snark is cause for hand-wringing and the usual gatekeeping crap from the dutifully-consume-all-content crowd.

And finally, TrekBBS, which also seems to have a contingent of full-time gatekeepers who defend against any snark.

Fuck. We used to bitch about Star Trek and it was good. Yeah, people sometimes moaned about "trolls", but by-and-large active debate and disagreement on things was more accepted. Now, what were once lively forums for discussion / debate have shrunken into insufferable echo chambers.

Damnit, Internet. What became of you?

I'd give it a few more years before there's truly epic backlash against the modern Internet's hyper-sensitive, "can't-say-that-it-might-offend-someone" collective mentality. It'll be kinda like how the 60's saw enormous backlash against the hyper-conformity of the 50's. Or any time any group tries to impose strict guidelines on how people should behave. Granted, I don't think it'll be a return to the sometimes over-the-top assholishness of the 90's and early 2000's... but it won't be Pussyland anymore, either. It'll be some... happy medium, hopefully.

That is, unless it creates some truly ungodly abomination that combines the worst of both worlds...