Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Is that the actual opening title sequence? (Probably not?)

SAUSAGEMAN

but yeah it's the actual opening @StarTrek shared it with the caption "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Opening Titles"

CaptainWacky

SAUSAGEMAN

first reviews out

maybe it's good
Some weeks you’re fighting for your life against a menacing threat, sometimes you’re breaking peace between warring factions. Sometimes you go meet gods, or go to Ye Olde Timey Planet. That’s Star Trek, it always has been, and Strange New Worlds lovingly carries on that spirit—in many ways, its most comparable counterpart among the current crop of Trek shows is Lower Decks. The animated series is a little more fun about it, but both shows are loving, if gently-mocking, celebrations of how weird and silly Star Trek has been and should be, through the vision of Starfleet officers who absolutely love the hell out of how bizarre their lives can be. Everyone is clearly having a good time, and it’s enough to make you feel like you’re along for that good time too.

maybe it's not
And having now seen the first half of the first season (a second is already in production) I can say that Strange New Worlds will be a frustrating watch for fans. Frustrating because there are the bones of a really fun, interesting Star Trek series buried deep inside Strange New Worlds. Sadly, it’s trapped in the usual mix of faux-melodrama, clanging dialogue and dodgy plotting with the usual lapses in logic. Many writers are blind to their own flaws, which is why it’s so amusing that this is what Kurtzman and co. feel is a radical departure from their own work.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
both shows are loving, if gently-mocking, celebrations of how weird and silly Star Trek has been and should be, through the vision of Starfleet officers who absolutely love the hell out of how bizarre their lives can be.
I'm having trouble recalling any of the older shows/movies, or any interview with Roddenberry, depicting Star Trek this way.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yes, but the only ST movie people laughed at was the one he directed.

CaptainWacky

Tom Paris was always making quips about wacky aliens.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Holy shit, did they just make silent running canon to star trek?

CaptainWacky

I liked it. Wouldn't say it was great exactly (maybe a few too many speeches from Pike) but definitely good and fun. Felt much more like Trek than Disco or Picard, which makes it all the weird that Akiva Goldsman wrote and directed this. Spock had some good humour which felt like Star Trek humour and not cringey attempts to do Star Trek type humour. Chapel and Uhura were fun. It was fun!

I hope they don't keep doing the thing where Pike sees his burned face in reflective surfaces as it would get old pretty fast.

I mean it's not a terribly high bar but it's my favourite episode of Trek since uh Cogenitor.

'In a Mirror, Darkly Part 1'