WASP COCK BAStArd

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Remember when all the bees disappeared.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
In Vermont, all the bats have disappeared.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
EVERYTIME YOU GET RID OF ONE WASP, ANOTHER TAKES ITS PLACE.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
@Jack: there's an awful fungus that's been wiping out bat colonies in N.A. I noticed their absence this summer up here too - and the increase of the mosquito population.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
There's no shortage of bats in the woods behind my sister's house in CT.

curiousa2z

@Loktar, you just kill bees unprovoked? And yet you hypocritically eat their honey.

@ Eggs - lucky sis! We were relieved to have a few around our place at the end of the summer - they must be living up in our 100-year-old attic. I hope they make babies- apparently the colonies living in caves have been decimated.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
You guys should build bat houses.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You Can Help Save Our Endangered Bats

Press Release | July 17, 2011
By Deb Markowitz, Vermont Secretary of Natural Resources

Some years ago, when the kids were young and my husband was out of town on business, I discovered a couple of bats flitting around the house. Quickly, the house erupted into chaos with bats flying, children screaming and running around, and me – trying to figure out how to open the windows (still caulked from the winter) while avoiding the darting bats. I was unsuccessful. Finally, I corralled the kids into a room and closed the door and called a friend who calmly caught the bats in a large sheet and then safely released them outside. The emergency was over.

I don’t know for sure what kinds of bats were in my house that early spring day – but most likely they were little brown bats. Until recently, the little brown bat was one of two species most often found in and around our homes, attics, barns, and garages. Due to a devastating illness, these populations have shrunk by as much as 95 percent. Just three years ago little brown bats were Vermont’s most common bat species, and now they are one of the rarest in the state. Consequently, as of this month, the little brown bat along with the northern long-eared bat have been added to Vermont’s Endangered Species list. This requires all of us to rethink how we treat our encounters with bats.

The Situation

White Nose Syndrome now threatens as many as 25 species of cave-hibernating bats across the United States. In Vermont alone, we have already lost over 500,000 bats. Two of these species – the little brown bat and the northern long-eared bat – have experienced declines by as much as 90 percent or more. Unless we find a way to slow the disease the little brown bat, among others, could become extinct within the next 15 years.

Why Bats are Important

Bats are important to our ecosystems because they pollinate plants and flowers, spread seeds, and, of course, eat insects. In fact, these little creatures eat nearly one-half their weight on a given night. Some of these insects are forest and agricultural pests – and others, like the mosquito – are human pests.

The impact of the loss of bats in Vermont cannot be underestimated. The 500,000 bats that died from white nose disease would have eaten around 2.5 billion insects every night – a figure that is so high, it is hard to imagine. A recently published national study found that bats contribute as much as $32 million annually in value to Vermont by destroying insects that could damage crops.

What We are Doing at the Agency of Natural Resources

This month both the little brown bat and the northern long-eared bat will be listed as state endangered species. We listed these bats on the advice of biologists in the Fish and Wildlife Department and the Vermont Endangered Species committee, with the support of many members of the public. We all believe that the protection offered by this status will help buy these species some time, so that we can, hopefully, find a treatment for White Nose disease before it is too late.

As a practical matter, once a species is listed as “endangered” members of that species cannot be taken, harassed, or killed without getting special permission. This means that pest control companies that remove bats from a chimney must take care to relocate them in a safe manner – rather than just kill them. It means that we must all avoid entering caves and mines in the winter when we know there is a colony of endangered bats hibernating within. And it means that when we encounter bats in places they don’t belong – like our homes and barns – that we find a safe way to remove them.

How You Can Help

Until a treatment is available we need to all work together to prevent unnecessary harm to Vermont’s endangered bats – and you can help.

We take concerns about rabies transmission from bats very seriously. The goal of the state is to provide technical assistance to citizens and pest control companies to appropriately deal with and exclude these bats from homes. Avoiding interactions with bats avoids bites and scratches from the small number of bats that carry rabies. Because such bites and scratches are serious, despite the endangered species listing, Vermonters will still be able to kill a bat in order to have it tested for rabies when a possible exposure has occurred, so long as the killing is reported to Fish and Wildlife officials.

I know from experience how hard it is to think straight when a bat is flying around the house – but it is more important now, than ever to remove bats without hurting them. You can get more information about best practices for keeping bats out of your house and removing them safely at our website Vermont Fish & Wildlife.

Remember, the little things we do can make a big difference. Help us help our bats.
She's doing all this, and yet she still doesn't just go up on the roof and shine the BAT SIGNAL.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
LOL and now this happens:
Fake Batman goes to Christchurch police

Published: 4:56PM Friday September 30, 2011 Source: NZN

A fake Batman has marched into Christchurch central police station demanding to know what emergency had triggered the "bat signal" - white light beaming through the sky.

The caped crusader, dressed in full superhero garb of mask, cape and tights, was insisting that the White Lights of Hope, which commemorate the earthquake anniversary, bear an uncanny resemblance to the bat emblem that flashes through the night sky.

In the comic, it's police commissioner Gordon who orders the call for Batman to come to the rescue, so who better for the Canterbury faux hero to ask for.

"First of all he wanted to speak to the commissioner," Sergeant Chris Jones told The Press.

"And then he wanted to know what was going on and why he'd been called, because he'd seen the lights in the sky."

Sgt Jones, who was just clocking on when the hero arrived on Sunday, said he was too "scrawny" to make a convincing Batman, adding Robin would have to be "6 foot 4 and built like a tank to help him out".

After a brief chat, the superhero, who was being filmed by a friend, made a quick exit, leaving the officers chuckling.

"Contrary to popular belief, the police still have a sense of humour," Sgt Jones said.
THEY HAVE SO MUCH HUMOUR THEY ADD THE EXTRA U FOR LAUGHS.

I like Gawker's take on it better:
Batman Responds to ‘Bat Signal,’ Shows up at Police Station

In response to light formations ("bat signals") in the sky, a man wearing Batman garb showed up at the main police station in Christchurch, New Zealand wondering what the emergency was. But a police officer determined that the man was too "scrawny" to be the actual Batman, and dismissed him as an imposter. Guess they didn't hear about Batman's Sensa diet.

Two hours later, the Joker gunned down four people at a Christchurch McDonald's.

p.s. Wasps really do suck.

curiousa2z

Loktar stop waving your arms around. The bees think you're attacking them. Just stay calm and they'll leave you be.

Wasps do suck. My friends had their roof replaced last summer and the workers discovered a fucking HUGE wasp nest up in a crook of their roof ..it was truly frightening thinking of how many wasps lived in that. No wonder they were all over us every time we tried to eat outside....bastards.