"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ugh. Property management in California (or running any business in California). I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. At the risk of offering unsolicited advice, John Schaub's "Building Wealth One House At A Time" and Mike Butler's "Landlording on Autopilot" are excellent. And if there's a local chapter of the Real Estate Investors' Association (REIA) that isn't a bed networking tool (at least the Kentucky one is good). Robert Kiyosaki also did a "The Real Book of Real Estate" a little over 10 years ago. It's a little dry and goes into more stuff like restaurants, shopping malls, and apartment complexes. And one of the contributors (each chapter is written by a different expert) got convicted for fraud or something, but I enjoyed it.

Oerdin

The irony being that the two section 8 tenants have been absolutely fine, never missed a rent payment while HUD paid the rest right on time. It is the third bitch, who had been there for seven years so you would have thought she’d be ok. Yet she hasn’t paid in four months, $3200 x 4 plus late payment fees, for a luxury townhouse in Scripps Ranch (a very nice and very white part of San Diego). She has worked the whole time and never claimed her income was effected by COVID 19, the bitch had the money to pay and even hired a lawyer for $2000-$3000, she’s just a grifter who heard there was an evocation moratorium and decided to stop paying.

All the courts were closed due to COVID 19 so I couldn’t evict her despite her not officially qualifying for the moratorium as her income was not effected. That changed on the 1st of the month but due to horrible state laws she can grift for another six months at least. She is just taking advantage of the situation and ducking my family and I out of money. The state changed the law so that after Jan 1st I can sue he in small claims court but the capped at $10,000but her back rent will be around $21,000 before late fees and legal fees so the state is screwing me out of more than half of many money. Fuck Democrats.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It's fascinating that she wouldn't see the consequences of this action. I mean, unless she's planning to buy a house, it's going to be very interesting to explain where she's lived for 7 years when she has to find a new place to live. But even buying a house, it seems like it would be hard to get a mortgage with something like this on your credit.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Cant you start the eviction proceedings at least? That will make sure it's on her record. I also thought they had means testing in California? If she didn't pay you before the moratorium i'd sue her for 10k now and again when you can?

Oerdin

We hired an attorney and wasted time on the back and forth. At first she claimed she didn’t think we were the legit owners so we served her with proof that we were indeed our father’s heirs and legally owned the place. She then simply stopped communicating. Last Friday we had a 3 day notice to pay or quit taped to her front door and supposedly today she called my sister trying to deal. We shall see.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Just make sure she knows that in a situation like this, she pays the legal fees and it's about to go legal.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
My "supervisor" for the census (who I've never met) is an idiot. He may have missed that I work another job Monday and Friday nights, but we submit our work availability via govt.-issued smart phone, so he should be able to figure out when I'm available.

Well he calls and texts me frantically around 8pm Friday--when I'm in the middle of assembling dishwashers. Obviously I choose not to lug my Etch-a-Sketch-sized census phone with me. So I call him around 9am Saturday and get his voicemail. Later that morning, while I'm walking my dog, He starts group texting the contact info of other supervisors because apparently he doesn't work Saturdays. I mean, he didn't say that--just texted 3 contacts. I considered texting him about the messages from Friday night, but you know what? I already left a voicemail. He's clearly on his phone. I'm not the supervisor in this equation.

By Monday I still haven't heard from him so I leave him another voicemail. Still nothing...until 6pm. When I'm in the middle of assembling dishwashers. I'd say more, but I've got a lot of shit to take care of in the next 24 hours so I should wash myself and get unconscious fairly soon.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. In fairness, my supervisor probably isn't an idiot. The people who hired him are idiots. He has a 9-5 job. How can you manage people in the field if you can't take any calls between 9 and 5 M-F?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
In fairness, my boss isn't an idiot, the people who made him a boss are idiots. Apparently he has a M-F 9-5 day job. So he can't take any calls until he gets off work. It's a clusterfuck goat rodeo. But allegedly there's only a week and a half left, so I'll try to hang in there. 6 working days for me. Anyway, said boss just quit today. So apparently he realized how unworkable his position was too.

Coming back to an earlier subject, I'm not at all worried about the 'rona. But you know what *does* have me worried? Fleas. Bedbugs. I'm worried I'll be in one of these shitty apartments where people don't fill out the census paperwork and I'll bring parasites and pests back to my house. I think I was in a building with fleas yesterday, but once I got out, I found a breezy spot out of sight and vigorously dusted myself off as best I could.

Today I had 37 addresses in a bloc of 4-plexes. They came up not long before lunch, so I decided to skip them and tackle a smaller apartment instead. Came to them after lunch and they are terrifying--where the white people that live in hellholes live. Saw this in all the signs driving up. Found a place to park but realized I was right against a driveway so I pulled up a bit--and immediately almost stepped on a couple heroin needles. The first address I went to, I almost fell through the floor inside the front door (OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but for a 165# man, there was a pronounced softness to the floor in the doorway. I could have kicked through it if I wanted. Well, the first place I had to go to was missing its doorknob. So I looked in and the place was gutted and clearly uninhabitable. At that point the fun-meter had been pegged and I decided it was time to call it a day. I had 2 more addresses in that building, but I decided to leave because I was afraid I'd knock on a door and someone would be at home.

I'm boggled that people live like that. And that other people allow people to live like that. As a property manager, there's no way in Hell I'd take money from a human to live in those conditions. I could say more, but I really don't need to. And I don't know what I'd say anyway.