Amy Winehouse found dead

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Amy Winehouse Dead

Troubled singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead in her North London home, Sky News is reporting. The Daily Mail reports that police have confirmed the passing.

The Grammy-winning singer, best known for her hit song, "Rehab," died of a suspected drug overdose, Nick Buckley of the Sunday Mirror tweeted. Tim Gatt, of Sky News, tweeted that her "death [is] being treated as unexplained by police."

She's battled drug addiction for years, having most recently checked back into rehabilitation in May.

Winehouse entered treatment in late 2007 for drug problems, including admitted heroin use.

Earlier in the day, Gatt tweeted a statement saying that she was withdrawing from all of her upcoming performances, writing, "Amy Winehouse is withdrawing from all scheduled performances. Everyone involved wishes to do everything they can to help her return to her best and she will be given as long as it takes for this to happen."

Winehouse has had previous near-death experiences, including one her ex-husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, described in detail back in 2009.
"I knelt over her as she kept on fitting. But then suddenly she just passed out and stopped breathing," he told The Sun (via NME). It was the most frightening thing I had ever seen. I felt sure I was watching her die right in front of me. I didn't know what to do or how to save her. I held her to me - and I thought she was dying in my arms. But somehow I managed to open her mouth and breathe air down her throat."
Story continues below

In January, 2010, she pled guilty to assaulting a theater stage manager.
In 2008, after some confusion, a spokesperson for Winehouse confirmed that she had "early signs of what could lead to emphysema."

whisky

Boobie inspector
The surprise isn't so much that it happened, but that it took so long.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Aww, I hoped she'd get herself together someday :(

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
She was a great artist, and it is sad her addiction led to this. She won a grammy. How exactly do you define great artist other than "I think they are great"?

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
She was an exceptional vocal talent, but her destructive lifestyle more or less belittled every small achievement she had earned. She squandered her talent. No albums since 2006, owing to 6-7 years of hardcore substance abuse.

Peter Doherty is next, when he's out of prison.

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
I blame the people around her for her destructive habits.

Either way, she in a better place now!

Homo Erectus

yeah. Under six feet of dirt. how can that be a better place? I'll pass on the whole going to heaven thing. What you get is six feet of dirt piled on yoru head.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Are you drunk, or is your keyboard malfunctioning?

whisky

Boobie inspector
In 2009 I didn't kill Amy Winehouse.
In 2010 I didn't kill Amy Winehouse.
In 2011 I did kill Amy Winehouse.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
But it IS a great record. And yeah, we all saw this coming, but it still sucks.

It is surprising to see words like "sudden" pop up in the news stories -- she's been on a 5-year slow decline. This is news I think people were oddly prepared to hear.

Comparisons to Billie Holiday may begin...now.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Are you kidding?

[youtube]RH4IlZenLvE[/youtube]

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Not in terms of legacy, but of circumstances. Her style of singing makes it an easier comparison than if, say, a punk singer turned up dead.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I guess the restorative properties of an essential oil bubble bath are limited after all.