Amy Winehouse found dead

I am quite sad about this. I was also very sad to see the footage of her in some sad fuckin eastern euro place being a bit of a mess.

Didn't stop me rushing to see the footage of her on stage pissed out of her head though, did it?

The most interesting bit about it was I was in Greece when this happened and only had Sky News to look at. They were dreadfully torn.

Nearly 100 non English speaking Scandinavians shot to death in a white rage killing
VERSUS
A drug addicted, very Jewish looking famous singer.

You could almost hear the editors arguements about which one was more important.

My default position is to be quite judgemental about her choices and the fact that she drove herself in to her own grave but from my late teens in to my early twenties I was on a pretty similar path of self abuse and destruction (just without the astounding talent) and although I have rehabilitated myself from that lifestyle somewhat I find it a daily struggle not to go overboard at every opportunity -and I still fail sometimes- but I work on it every day not to go back there. I never did smack or crack but only because I was surrounded by friends who did and died -one in my arms at the age of fourteen- and I could never go near it due to the stark reality of seeing that face on.

But those lessons didn't stop me getting in to an extensive ecstasy, cocaine, speed and alcohol addiction which got so bad it put me in hospital twice and almost killed me and definitely would have had I continued and not sorted it out. The thought of being an international singer and millionaire at that point scares me. I have faced my own addiction problems face on and am far from defeating them and probably never will though I have made great and ultimately successful strides to do so.

I thought Brands words about Amy and the subject of addiction were spot on and no matter how far away from addiction you get you are always a couple of seconds away from falling back in to it. It's not something that EVER goes away fully.

Amy was a stupid girl. She killed herself. But there is no way I can sit there and judge her from some moral high ground because she did. Could of been me. Could of been Russ. Could of been and will be millions of other people. Drug addiction is truly not related to intelligence, status, class or position. It's easy to not be an addict. It's very easy to be one as well. I had a will to not destroy myself and get clean but that choice alone doesn't make me some sort of emotionally stronger person. A lot of it is luck, will and support. I'm not sure I would be alive now if I had a multi-million recording deal either. It's all circumstance. I can't stress that enough. It's so easy to be persuaded to do what you ultimately WANT to do.

I feel bad for Amy and am thankful that Russell Brand wrote what he did because through all the judgemental bullshit he really nailed what it's all about. Just because she did it to herself doesn't make it any less sad.

I'm gonna be judgemental and blame her parents. Her dad was off in NY at the time, working. I don't have kids, but if anyone I was as close to as a father is supposed to be to his daughter, and they had an addiction which everyone expected would ultimately take their life without serious intervention, the last place I would be is on the other side of the world using their name to drum up publicity for my own career. Of course it's unrealistic to shadow someone 24/7, but to at least be in the same country isn't too much to ask.

Why is it always MITCH WINEHOUSE on the news talking about her? I'm sure he loved her and everything, but why do we never ever hear from her mother (who was there too)? He's become a "celebrity" in his own right out of her and it's a bit weird.

I've never heard of him till now! Does he sing too, or is just getting famous because his daughter was famous and he has no talent of his own? The parents of famous people always seem so icky to me (with a couple exceptions, of course).

Still can't get that Russel Brand site to load, I wonder if it's blocked in the US or soemthing.

Why is it always MITCH WINEHOUSE on the news talking about her? I'm sure he loved her and everything, but why do we never ever hear from her mother (who was there too)? He's become a "celebrity" in his own right out of her and it's a bit weird.

Perhaps she doesn't want to talk to the media.

Doesn't load for me now either.

I think her dad had an unsuccessful career as a crooner, but his day job was as a taxi driver. In the last couple of years he's released an album and toured a bit, basically getting attention by being her dad. He also spoke to the British tabloids about her condition, possibly around the same time as the album release. He shows up on tv here every so often to comment on celebrity stories, or for general publicity purposes, enough that I'd recognise him by voice alone. Always seemed nice enough, but it was odd to see a famous singer's dad on tv more than the singer herself.

He was on Richard and Judy's show a lot. Until they went to Watch, he was too big a star to appear on it then.

Here's the Russell Brand thing FOR CASSIE.

When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they’ve had enough, that they’re ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it’s too late, she’s gone.

Frustratingly it’s not a call you can ever make it must be received. It is impossible to intervene.

I’ve known Amy Winehouse for years. When I first met her around Camden she was just some twit in a pink satin jacket shuffling round bars with mutual friends, most of whom were in cool Indie bands or peripheral Camden figures Withnail-ing their way through life on impotent charisma. Carl Barrat told me that “Winehouse” (which I usually called her and got a kick out of cos it’s kind of funny to call a girl by her surname) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarrely anomalous in that crowd. To me with my limited musical knowledge this information placed Amy beyond an invisible boundary of relevance; “Jazz singer? She must be some kind of eccentric” I thought. I chatted to her anyway though, she was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable.

I was myself at that time barely out of rehab and was thirstily seeking less complicated women so I barely reflected on the now glaringly obvious fact that Winehouse and I shared an affliction, the disease of addiction. All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they’re not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his “speedboat” there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they’re looking through you to somewhere else they’d rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

From time to time I’d bump into Amy she had good banter so we could chat a bit and have a laugh, she was “a character” but that world was riddled with half cut, doped up chancers, I was one of them, even in early recovery I was kept afloat only by clinging to the bodies of strangers so Winehouse, but for her gentle quirks didn’t especially register.

Then she became massively famous and I was pleased to see her acknowledged but mostly baffled because I’d not experienced her work and this not being the 1950’s I wondered how a “jazz singer” had achieved such cultural prominence. I wasn’t curious enough to do anything so extreme as listen to her music or go to one of her gigs, I was becoming famous myself at the time and that was an all consuming experience. It was only by chance that I attended a Paul Weller gig at the Roundhouse that I ever saw her live.

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a fucking genius.

Shallow fool that I am I now regarded her in a different light, the light that blazed down from heaven when she sang. That lit her up now and a new phase in our friendship began. She came on a few of my TV and radio shows, I still saw her about but now attended to her with a little more interest. Publicly though, Amy increasingly became defined by her addiction. Our media though is more interested in tragedy than talent, so the ink began to defect from praising her gift to chronicling her downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood soaked ballet slippers, the aborted shows, that youtube madness with the baby mice. In the public perception this ephemeral tittle-tattle replaced her timeless talent. This and her manner in our occasional meetings brought home to me the severity of her condition. Addiction is a serious disease; it will end with jail, mental institutions or death. I was 27 years old when through the friendship and help of Chip Somers of the treatment centre, Focus12 I found recovery, through Focus I was introduced to support fellowships for alcoholics and drug addicts which are very easy to find and open to anybody with a desire to stop drinking and without which I would not be alive.

Now Amy Winehouse is dead, like many others whose unnecessary deaths have been retrospectively romanticised, at 27 years old. Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy’s incredible talent. Or Kurt’s or Jimi’s or Janis’s, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call.

just got home and found out about this today. I've already posted in the past a few times that I thought she had great talent and hoped she would overcome her addictions. Apparently she could not.
R.I.P.
She died too soon.

With Amy Winehouse's near-half-decade-old Grammy-winning sophomore LP, "Back to Black," at No. 1 on iTunes and Amazon following her death, thoughts turn, naturally, to the London singer's new material that she had been recording for the past two years. Daily Telegraph sources say the songs were at demo stage but that there was "a lot of material" available.

Winehouse was found dead last week in her London apartment at the age of 27. The rights to her material will revert to her parents, Mitch and Janis, according to the U.K. newspaper. So far there is no release date for a posthumous album.

Last year, Michael Jackson's collection of unreleased material, "Michael," arrived in December, a year-and-a-half after the singer passed away.

Over the past two years, Winehouse is said to have hit the studio with her former collaborators Salaam Remi (who produced "Tears Dry on Their Own") and Mark Ronson ("Valerie," "You Know I'm No Good").

Meanwhile, MTV News quotes Amy Winehouse's stateside publicist as saying, "There is no information on any new music at this time."

In the end, not too many concrete details. But it seems highly unlikely that Amy's label wouldn't release her newly recorded material in some form or other.

Guess the real question is simply, when?

Leading Gear to wonder if it would be a good idea to start putting together 'Release upon Death' collections prior to the passing of certain artists likely to go.

It's just good business people. Nobody wants to get caught with their pants down.

Back