Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art for art's sake

EnglishRose

addle barn
In here we shall post our favourite art (any and all types of art are welcome). If you feel like writing a paragraph or two or three explaining why you like a particular picture all the better.

So from Dali to Reubens, Monet to Millet, chagal to da vinci, warhol to lowry - let's see what pictures 'do' it for you :D

I'll start by adding some Roy Lichtenstein - his artwork makes me smile and seeing as how I am at work, and work does not make me smile, I thought I'd cheer myself up

explosion from 1965

P01796_9.jpg

Mustard on white - 1963
L01703_9.jpg

^^^POP ART-Y!

Love it!

Rae, you're a robo-babe!

First up from me: Alphonse Mucha

mucha9c.jpg

mucha%20spring.jpg

Alphonse_Mucha_Flower_1897.jpg

Alphonse_Mucha_1.jpg

Alphonse_Mucha_2.jpg

The line weight, the curves, the design flourishes, the attention to detail, the colours, the motifs, the archetypes and iconography, the graphic appeal... the celebration of beautiful women... Art deco at it's finest.

His work inspires me.

^ did you go to the Rodin museum? if so, did you get to see the 'gates of hell' a truly awesome piece of sculpture - I won't put a picture of it up as it wouldn't do it justice. Just go to the Rodin museum in paris and gaze in awe as you walk among his sculptures, many of them apparently randomly placed in the extensive gardens - sheer delight

EnglishRose said:
^ did you go to the Rodin museum? if so, did you get to see the 'gates of hell' a truly awesome piece of sculpture - I won't put a picture of it up as it wouldn't do it justice. Just go to the Rodin museum in paris and gaze in awe as you walk among his sculptures, many of them apparently randomly placed in the extensive gardens - sheer delight

No, just the Louvre. Sounds wonderful, though. But, honestly, I have no intention of ever going back to Paris after the treatment we received there...

EnglishRose said:

The Rodin Museum was the best museum in Paris, IMHO, although I liked the Orssay (sp?) too.

Most of my favroite art is sculpture, Naguchi and Rodin are my favorite sculptors. I recommend "Wave Hill" near NYC or the Naguchi museum on the East River (also in NYC) for the best examples of his work. "The Walking Void" is one of the few pieces of art that actually frightened me.

There is also poetry and music...but those are subjects well covered elsewhere.

2_parutions_art_litter_salome_beardsley_illustr_p.63_danse.JPG

beardsleyexcalibur.jpg

ab3.jpg

salome-l.gif

beardsley9.jpg

^ One of ER's countrymen. Aubrey Beardsley illustrated Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur - at the ripe old age 21 - as his first commissioned work. He was a caricaurist and mostly worked in ink. A fascinating and tragic figure, sickly most of his life, Aubrey was dead at 25 ( 1898 ), felled by TB. His volume of work, his output, at such a young age, astounds and humbles me.

Aubrey Beardsley is one of the most famous artists of the late 19th century, renowned for both his visual talent and the circle of decadent intellectuals he was associated with, particularly Oscar Wilde. Much of Beardsley's work is bizarre, profane and erotic.

Beardsley was a public character as well as a private eccentric. He said, "I have one aim — the grotesque. If I am not grotesque I am nothing." Wilde said he had "a face like a silver hatchet, and grass green hair."

180px-AubreyBeardsley.png

^Aubrey Beardsley

His work and stylisitc approach have shaped my own art considerably in the last decade or so.

Sadistic Bastard said:
The Rodin Museum was the best museum in Paris, IMHO, although I liked the Orssay (sp?) too.

Most of my favroite art is sculpture, Naguchi and Rodin are my favorite sculptors. I recommend "Wave Hill" near NYC or the Naguchi museum on the East River (also in NYC) for the best examples of his work. "The Walking Void" is one of the few pieces of art that actually frightened me.

I couldn't find The Walking Void, But I found InSilence Walking,
insilence1.jpg

Here: http://www.noguchi.org/sculpture.html

Sadistic Bastard said:

The Orsay museum is where they have the large collections of impressionist art isn't it?

The Rodin museum is the best :)

I hadn't heard of Naguchi until now, I intend to find out more, thanks for pointing me in a new direction :)

So I'll have to nip back across the pond to NYC now :D

Tara McPherson

http://www.taramcpherson.com/

^Official site.

I love this chick's work. She's done some comic book covers, a lot of prints, and concert posters.

mcpherson1.jpg

A fantastically clean cartoony/graphic style... and she's a hottie to boot!

my first poster on my dorm at university was by Waterhouse: I couldn't get over the sumptuous detailing and the frisson of eroticism (oh, those Victorians!!) in his work...still wouldn't turn one down if offered. ;)

tristan_and_isolde_sharing_the_poti.jpg

naiade-waterhouse.jpg

destiny.jpg

Waterhouse-circe.jpg

CirceWaterhouse.jpg

I-Penelope-Waterhouse.jpg

No, you're ABSOLUTELY right, C2. I flubbed that one. 'Art deco' entered my head and that's what I typed. Art Nouveau is what I meant to say. Thanks for spotting that!

Bladev1 said:

GAH! I need to see those at actual size, man! There's SOOOO much going on! That's bad-ass! I love those kinds of images...

Below is one (character-heavy/detail-intense) I did utilizing my own species of cartoony sci-fi characters:

beeter2.jpg

It took me 3 months to complete, almost 10 years ago. My mom said "This was in your head?" in concerned disbelief.

A picture really is worth a thousand words. Or more.

beetercolor.jpg

^And the colored version. (Sorry about the glare. It's framed.)