Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art for art's sake

and a little Jack Kirby

KirbyCapt.jpg

OK, when I said brb, I meant, when RL lets me brb ;)

so without further ado: some of Magritte's work :

magritte-thumb.jpg

Magritte.jpg

fondos04.jpg

and my favourite, Attempting the Impossible:

attemptingtheimpossible.jpg

and two more:

spain.jpg

window.jpg

brilliant.

And I'm a bit envious of anyone here who may have been to Barcelona to see Gaudi's work first hand.... you know who you are. ;)

I do indeed know who I am ;)

I will scan and post thursday or friday

Casa mila (2nd photo first gaudi post) - I have been on the roof of that building.

Erté, the enigma of the fashion illustration world, was a Russian born (Romain de Tirtoff), Paris based artist, best known for his elegant and flamboyant fashion and theatre designs of the 1910s and 1920s. From 1915 to 1936, Erte made a choice of designing for Harper's Bazar or Vogue, by tossing a coin. Harper's, winning the coin toss, was Erte's exclusively for twenty two years, designing exquisite covers, lighthearted gay and imaginative designs and illustrations. Illustrations that are highly sought after by collectors today.

erte2.jpg

erte_moonlight.jpg

erte_A.jpg

erte_S.jpg

I love the lines... the curves... the detail... the idealized long and lithe figures... the extravagant dress....

God... I want me some baudy loud-mouthed free-spirited flapper with an excessive length of pearls, a sassy smile and a drunken night of debauchery on the town.

Fuck Prohibition, man!

erte20.jpg

^Erté, age 20

Very nice Neil, I've not seen his work before.

The Barcelona pictures will be coming.....promise, but today is my daughters 14th birthday and I have a house full of teenagers who all want the computer, if they don't break it, I'll get them done tomorrow :)

WOWIE ZOWIE, ER!!!! I am going to have to study up on Barcelona and all things Gaudi! JEEZ!

This image was taken from wrapping paper of a present that was given to me last week from some generous girls at the office.

babypaper.jpg

It's very reminiscent of Erté...

Neil, he really was a remarkable man - not only his architecture, I have some more photos of seemingly dull objects such as doors - you'd be amazed what a little green curvy glass can do for a door. I recommend a trip to Barcelona to everyone, it's a fantastic city.

when you get back and have the energy, I'd love to see the pix of those doors.
Barcelona's on Teh List.

I have a preference for statues. Rodin's "The Kiss" in Tate Modern for example. There was another set displayed in that room .. but I can't for the life of me remember what it was and if it was Rodin's.

Galleria Borghese in Rome has a great collection as well. Bernini's "Apollo and Daphne" and "David" are breathtakingly detailed.

dafne.jpg
david.jpg

"Laocoön" in the Vatican Museum is great to have seen when you've had to translate the story as well.

300px-Laoconte.jpg