Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art for art's sake

Neil said:
Totally, man! And I love how those stylistic sensibilities have actually come back, full circle, and influenced the work of American artists, whether it be in animation or in comic books, graffiti, or whatever.
Teen Titans, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and The Matrix animations are fine examples of this.

^Still one of the funniest moments in the Animated Clerks series.

"Oh my God, Bear is driving! How can that be!?!?"

Neil said:

^Still one of the funniest moments in the Animated Clerks series.

"Oh my God, Bear is driving! How can that be!?!?"
The ending of that episode was hilarious! :bigass:

Yes! Yes, it was!

I'll rummage around the Cave, see if I have any worthwhile "animanga" stuff to post. Not usually what I gravitate towards, but I do have some stuff.

Neil said:
Yes! Yes, it was!

I'll rummage around the Cave, see if I have any worthwile "animanga" stuff to post. Not usually what I gravitate towards, but I do have some stuff.
My hard drive is full of it. :blush:

curiousa2z said:
And now I give you: Gaudi.

barcelona_casa_batllo.jpg

Pedrera.jpg

Take it back. Gaudi's work remind's me of Dali's painting: surreal and imaginative. Yet, that style should be left on a canvas, not a blueprint.

Honestly, his architecture always reminded me of glorified clay huts.

curiousa2z said:
And I'm a bit envious of anyone here who may have been to Barcelona to see Gaudi's work first hand.... you know who you are. ;)

:Raises hand:

Guilty as charged. La Segrada Familia wasn't finished when I was there.

Now, if you want architecture... I can supply some stuff.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Frank Lloyd Wright.

obe_robie_house_1_lg.jpg

tree_of_life.jpg

fountain.jpg

flwcoonl.jpg

stained-glass-5a.jpg

These are just his designs for windows that go into the houses. Frank Wright loved the use of light and shadow on the inside of his homes. He detested hallways. He never put hallways into some of his houses. For those that he did, he made them narrow and dark so that you'd want to remove yourself from it. As if birthing yourself into the light of the next room.

I'll go fetch some details from his homes later.

More FLW

These are some details from the Dana-Thomas house.

dhientry.jpg

dhiwindo.jpg

dhilivrm.jpg

Notice how well-lit the space is without the use of man-made lighting.

Bellissimo, no question that FLW is also a genius in his own right, but you cannot compare him to Gaudi - that's apples and oranges. I love the organic flow of G's buildings - diametrically opposed to the careful balance and craftsmanship of FLW, whose work and vision I also love.

I soooo envy you & ER going to Barcelona!

Chris Ware - Chicago-based illustrator with MAD skillz. One of the most technically proficient artists I am aware of. He has almost created a new language within sequential art, or more exactly, takes full advantage of the medium itself, pushing it to it's limits.... A true master of time and space on the printed page. His cartooning work is fantastic, his attention to detail INTENSE. His stories are fantastic and flawed and fragile... gorgeous and sad and powerful and moving and heartbreaking and brutally honest. Oftimes, at his own expense. I cannot suggest his work enough.

waregod.jpg

warecreativity.jpg

warequimbies.jpg

ware-scene1.jpg

35ae8970.jpg

These few examples are a poor introduction to Chris Ware and do not even begin to detail his considerable artistic achievements.

He rose to prominence within the Fantagraphics-published series ACME NOVELTY LIBRARY and has since gone on to edit books, create concert images, paint murals, etc. Multi-talented guy...

^I've seen this one used on Dead Can Dance promotional posters. Very cool, Mess! I love old woodcuts.

curiousa2z said:
Bellissimo, no question that FLW is also a genius in his own right, but you cannot compare him to Gaudi - that's apples and oranges. I love the organic flow of G's buildings - diametrically opposed to the careful balance and craftsmanship of FLW, whose work and vision I also love.

I soooo envy you & ER going to Barcelona!

See, you're into the superficial aspect of architecture. It cannot be all about the exterior. If it were, Gaudi would be a genious in my book. Architecture is about using the space inside a building, as well. Gaudi concentrates on making his homes look good from the outside. The interiors are deplorable. FLW is one of the best because he combines form and function in such a seamless fashion. His use of space and light inside his buildings is remarkable, beyond compare.

Well, since I haven't had the luxury of visiting Spain and seeing the interiors of Gaudi's work, we'll have to leave that debate til ER gets back. I've certainly not read any where that Gaudi's interiors were "deplorable".

I still maintain you cannot take two architects - who were so diametrically opposed in his own individual vision to each other- and be so pompous as to declare one better than the other.

Takes all kinds to make a world.

Memento mori

Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be freely translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose, which is to remind people of their own mortality.

Memling_Vanity_and_Salvation.jpg

Earthly Vanity and Divine Salvation by Hans Memling. This triptych contrasts earthly beauty and luxury with the prospect of death and hell

StillLifeWithASkull.jpg

Philippe de Champaigne's Memento mori is reduced to three essentials: flower, skull, hourglass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_mori