Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art for art's sake

*blows dust off thread*

Charles Addams

A cartoonist of considerable renown, known for his dark, subtle sense of humor. His cartoons appeared regularly, in the New Yorker, from 1938 to his death in '88. Some of his recurring characters became the Addams Family, which spawned a couple live action shows, a few movies, and some animated series.

That's pretty damned impressive.

I love his pallette.

addams1.jpg

addams2.jpg

addams3.jpg

^This one makes me laugh. This is representational of me making preparations, getting our house in order for our new arrival...

Brian Froud

Probably best known for his conceptual work on the Henson movies Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal, and the book (along with Monty Python alum, Terry Jones) Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Brian Froud is a fantasy artist whose illustrated works go all the way back to the early 70's.

I love the playful freedom of his style, his vision.

brianfroud2.jpg

Goblin4.gif

Froud_Skeksis.JPG

It was one of the most wondrous - and, yet, sadly pathetic - moments of my life!

And the three images I posted don't even begin to do the man's body of work justice. Not at all.

Awesome!!!

Here's a couple more SHAG images I had kicking around on an old hard drive...

dearly.jpg

indreams.jpg

masqprint.jpg

curiousa2z said:
such gorgeous clean grapics

Yes!

I'm such a dork for his stuff, C2. I have drink coasters, stationary, a journal, t-shirts, decals, a wall clock, and an alcoholic recipe book with his images on it. Never mind the art books I have with his stuff in it.

curiousa2z said:

Of course! His shit's EXPENSIVE!

I don't remember if I mentioned it or not (on the preceding pages), but he's the most collected living artist right now.

His stuff's in HIGH demand.

curiousa2z said:
there is help available for that recipe book.

LOL I'll see what I can do! ;)

And we've gotten FUCKED UP from that book, too. (That was a hell of a Valentine's Day!)

SHAG also did a lot of Disneyland murals and art, some of it's being "revived" for the 50'th anniversary media campaign/celebration.

I bought a deck of cards with some of his tiki room and "It's a Small World" concept and promotional art.

Good stuff.

This thread needs an anime touch........like you didn't see this coming.

Jango Joe is my favorite artist over at DeviantArt. This is one of his interpretations from Burst Angel
itsnotaboutthatbyjangojoe0qr.jpg

Here's another one. This time from Mai-HiME...
11307119386506gq.jpg

Someone took the characters from Azumanga Daioh, and made them as characters from Final Fantasy X-2, creating Azumanga Fantasy X-2. This is Kagura as Paine...
453962nz.jpg

And for the erotic touch, what Lunamaria fanatic would I be without posting one of hers?
lunasexy1ax.jpg

Rommie, I have a lot of respect for the manga/anime artists. They spend many MANY disciplined years honing their craft.

I have a copy of an old Astro Boy book from the 60's (printed backwards as they read their books with the spine on the right side) I should scan some pics of for you.

Neil said:
Rommie, I have a lot of respect for the manga/anime artists. They spend many MANY disciplined years honing their craft.
When people bash anime, they forget about that. That people spend their entire lives, and still do not perfect their techniques. I think that Anime is a unique art form, in that while it's very similar, there are so many differences as well. You can always see something new, even from the same artist.

Totally, man! And I love how those stylistic sensibilities have actually come back, full circle, and influenced the work of American artists, whether it be in animation or in comic books, graffiti, or whatever.