Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art for art's sake

Neil said:
GAH! I need to see those at actual size, man! There's SOOOO much going on! That's bad-ass! I love those kinds of images...
We got into his art at Ozzfest back in 2000 and 6 years later I still find new shit in the 2 we have
One day I'll own all his art
As for seeing them up close and actual size...you would have to come visit,lol

Next up: SHAG! (JoSH AGle)

One of my fave artists of all time! Love this man! Love his quirky style. His work touches upon so many of my interests... 60's British psychedelia, Tiki gods, surfer bods, popmod evil scientists, sympathetic monsters, beautiful killers and campy henchmen... SHAG is the man... He has been called 'The World's Most Collected Living Artist' and his stuff is the shit. He got the license to provide artwork to celebrate the Pink Panther's 40th anniversary celebration a couple years ago, and has done quite a bit of work for Disneyland (Tiki Room, etc.) recently.

shag.jpg

358_shag.jpg

Roadrunner.jpg

Golfwidow.jpg

shag.gif

^Self-portrait?

Today is Dali

dali20.gif

I did my thesis on Dadaism and the birth of surrealism and became addicted to Dale, particularly his work 1928-1939.

My favourite picture of all time

the temptation of St. Anthony (I have this one hanging in my shower room)

2120dali.jpg

then there's Ordinary french loaf with two fried eggs riding without a plate 1932 (I just loved the title)

32OrdinaryFrenchLoaf.jpg

and Discovery of America

ny-7692.jpg

I have more - many more, but that'll do for now :)

Gorgeous, Rae!

I never would've thought to include Dali, but I've always been intrigued by his work.

I think I had heard that - back in the day - Dali and Disney had done something together, but I don't recall. I'd love to see what came of THAT collaboration!

Neil how could I not include him - he is almost solely responsible for my enduring love of many many forms of art - he was a huge influence on me when I was 17/18 - hence a 40,000 word thesis :)

Dali & Disney = Destino, a six minute short cartoon, never seen it, but I would love to. Walts nephew Roy revived the project in the late 90's I think, I'll see what I can find

LOL - I was gonna do Dali today - not a word of a lie.
He was my first love of the Surrealists....with the fickleness of youth, I moved on to others, some of who's work I shall post later (on lunch right now) - but ya never forget your first . ;)

EnglishRose said:
Dali & Disney = Destino, a six minute short cartoon, never seen it, but I would love to. Walts nephew Roy revived the project in the late 90's I think, I'll see what I can find

Released in 2003... still waiting for the DVD, even though it looks like it was originally supposed to have come out in '04.

Hm.

curiousa2z said:
LOL - I was gonna do Dali today - not a word of a lie.
He was my first love of the Surrealists....with the fickleness of youth, I moved on to others, some of who's work I shall post later (on lunch right now) - but ya never forget your first . ;)

Ooo which of the others Arp, Magritte, Miro, Man Ray??????? *can't wait*

and if we could find a copy of that film...what an excuse for a get together :D

I agree with that, Rae, but coordinating travel between 3 countries for 6 minutes of animation?

Yeah, ok - I'M SO THERE!

I'll bring ya a Dew and a personalized 8 x 10, and my Halloween mix discs for C2.

:D

Neil said:
I agree with that, Rae, but coordinating travel between 3 countries for 6 minutes of animation?

Yeah, ok - I'M SO THERE!

I'll bring ya a Dew and a personalized 8 x 10, and my Halloween mix discs for C2.

:D

It's a deal

and Vincent - I adore Vincent - thanks for reminding me of him.

I lurve this thread :D

Ah, Vincent... I almost lost my virginity while that was on in the background. Good times!

(Sorry. TMI)

Travis Charest

image002.jpg

charest.jpg

CHAREST-3.jpg

Mostly a comic-book artist, Travis started out as little more than a Jim Lee (X-Men/WildC.A.T.S./Batman artist-extraordinaire) clone in the mid 90's (and was hired by Lee's Wildstorm Studios) but kept pushing the envelope, developing a signature style reminiscent of some of the subtlety of European master graphic artists like Mobius and Manara, but with the American flash comic book fans clamor for. He was hired by Humanoids Press and currently lives in Paris, France.

His art has jumped forward by leaps and bounds in the last 8 years, and is lovely to behold, but he's so freakin' SLOW! Oh, well... it's ALWAYS worth the wait.

time for some calming Claude Monet

When I visited Paris I stumbled across the Orangerie, his water lily paintings are displayed in a circular room - you just sit and relax in the centre and lose yourself in art

white20-20monets20japanese20garden.jpg

monet-lily_bg.jpg