Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

I am always right on these matters, all other opinions should be CRUSHED UNDER THE WEIGHT OF A MULTI MEDIA DISRUPTIVE ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN.

Unfortunately, this is closer to the truth than I am comfortable with.

WE HAVE BEEN ASSIMILATED.

I did learn an interesting thing from Pattern Recognition, and that is apophenia. Thinking you see meaning in random things. Always leave room for coincidence!

I don't know what to read next. Maybe The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

I finally got started on it. Took a little bit to get into, but now it's GOOD. I did watch the movie last year, i think. I liked it too.

Seeds of Earth was just about alright. I wouldn't rush out to it.

1. Lots of stuff easily explained by a universe underworld thing.
2. The green planet nice people were a bit Avatar (and a bit morally superior) I detest hippy luddites which may have tainted me a little.
3. It's a series and I have no desire to discover the Call of Cthulhu type character that is rising from the depths. HP Lovecraft did it so much better.

Ah, so Seeds of Earth just had a pretty cover then.

I just finished reading the Expanse trilogy, of which the first book (Leviathan Wakes) was another I pondered about in here at the same time as Seeds of Earth.

Well, it was quite an enjoyable series, if a little schlocky. It centres around one of Saturns moons, which is discovered to be a billions of years old alien artifact that was launched toward Earth, but got caught in Saturn's gravity. It has the ability to reorganise biological matter and convert it into... something.

The main characters are basically ripped off from Firefly. A masculine, but kind at heart captain. An ethnic Amazon type woman second in command. A geeky pilot. And a beefy guy with a gun whose actual role I'm not too sure of. And they're all wise cracking. In a kind of comedy of errors they end up starting a war between Earth and Mars, and all the while trying to find out what the story is with the artifact. I basically treated it as a new Firefly story, and enjoyed it as such. Really quite light reading, if punctuated by graphic violence, which made a change from some of the heavier books I've been reading lately.

Some choice excerpts:

"It was a real book - onionskin pages bound in what might have been actual leather. Miller had seen pictures of them before; but the idea of that much weight for a single megabyte of data stuck him as decadent."

-

"The sight of her half nude in the dimly lit room gave him an embarrassingly sudden erection.

Naomi panned her gave up his body, pausing at his midsection, then at the water glass, and said, 'Is that for me?'

Holden didn't know which thing she was asking about, so he just said, 'Yes.'"

I'm now reading Typee, which is one of Herman Melville's books that isn't Moby Dick.

Not scifi but whatevs. He really does have a way with words.

I'm starting Cloud Atlas tomorrow, so I'll post my thoughts. It's come down in price a hell of a lot since the release of the unsuccessful movie, so that's encouraging.

So far it's tallying with what I heard about it being a bit show offy at writing in different styles. The first chapter is actually extremely similar to the Herman Melville book Omoo I was reading last (and Melville is referenced at one point). In Omoo a man writes in the first person of being on a South Pacific island with natives and an English doctor he meets named Dr Ghost. And in Cloud Atlas a man writes diary accounts of the same situation, but with a Dr Goose. So the use of language doesn't overly impress me.

Anyway, it's readable enough even if I can't figure out just yet what it's all in aid of.

Back