Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

BOTTOM Shelf
9458.imgcache.jpg

LOTS OF GEORGE (as this is essentially my Minefield bookshelf)
Canticle for Leibowitz - Just one of the best Post Apoc novels around
Michael Moorcock - This book reminds me of Menty - not sure why.
Larry Niven - Ringworld - BIG LOVE for this book. It has nice hair
Frederick Pohl - He has nice eyes. Underated.
Rudy Rucker - Postsingular - Weird Cyberpunk fucked in the head excellent novel
Hyperion - Great novel - agree with some earlier comments that the follow up is also excellent.

Anyway - more to follow.

My books aren't in any kind of order and they're all different sizes and stuff (and I have loads of graphic novels) so fitting them together on my limited shelf space is like an annoying game of Tetris...plus I got a Kindle last year which is good for saving space but kind of annoying when I have some books from a series in paperback and some on Kindle...and not all books are on Kindle (like only one of Asimov's robot books is FOR SOME REASON)...I want to take a photo of all the History Of Middle Earth books though just to prove they exist...

Final little bit
9478.imgcache.jpg

Charles Stross - Accelerando - more cyber punk about us dismantling the planets. Some interesting high brown Sci Fi concepts.
Roadside Picnic - I really enjoyed this Russian novel. Sort of post apocalyptic, really interesting scavenger hunt theme.
Sun of Suns - Karl Schroeder - interesting "concept" novel but it didn't really grab me.
Life During Wartime - Fuckin hard to follow near alternative future war "psycorps" style novel. I'm sure it's good and very PKD is style. It confused the hell out of me.
Dying Inside - Mind reading powers squandered. I liked this book, reviewers hated it.
More than Human - High minded idea about "gestalt" Critics loved it, I found it quite hard to follow and not nearly enough spaceships, gns and explosions. (I joke, but you get the point)
Sheri Tepper - Grass - brilliant book, still vividly remember it and it almost reminded me of Dune (not quite, but getting close is still bloody marvellous)
Walter Tevis - Mockingbird - DONT ASK, RELAX. It's been called the unofficial sequel to Fahrenheit 451. I would agree with that. It's about an android that wants to die.
Jack Vance - Emphyrio - I loved this "reverse" book about an artisan society kept that way by a very advanced overlord class. Well worth reading.
Vernor Vinge - Rainbows End - I class this as Cyber Punk with lots of "wearable" technology and augmented reality. It's a 2007 novel and this is reflected in the close reality of the concepts. Quite scary in concept.
Robert Charles Wilson - Spin - All the stars suddenly disappear... A great concept novel about the earth being trapped behind a big SEX BOMB

I made that last bit up, anyway all done now!

You should check out some other Sheri Tepper novels. Try Raising the Stones, IMO! I've read lots of her novels, but not all of them were that great. I did like her style in all of them, so they weren't difficult to read.

Just bought This Book Is Full Of Spiders, The Bridge and Hyperion on Kindle...my Asimov reading plans ruined by his books not being on Kindle and wanting to read something...only one of those is sci-fi though (and all written by MEN, sorry.)

Has anyone read Leviathan Wakes by James Corey? I noticed it and Seeds of Earth in a bookshop today and they both looked quite interesting and have high profile "omfg this is amazeballs!" quotes on the covers. Leviathan has GRRM and Seeds of Earth has Iain Banks.

I haven't, but they sound good. I like good space opera.

I am getting close to halfway through The Crow Road. It's really good. I like Iain Banks writing style.

Back