Community (season 1-2)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
There's an interview with Dan Harmon about the second season (well, it's part one of four interviews about the seconds season.) It's interesting but really wordy and he does seem to be too harsh on himself. But there's some good stuff in there.

Dan Harmon walks us through Community

None. Halloween was where it all began. I don’t know how to access the character of Shirley. I don’t know who she is. All I know about her is how big her purse is and that she talks like Miss Piggy and Gary Coleman in alternation. I know these circumstantial facts about her: She’s got kids. Her husband left her. She’s a Baptist. She’s allergic to blibbedy-blah. Meanwhile, you’ve got Britta next to that, which is a fucking phenomenal study in the work you can do developing a character. I’ve dated women like Britta. I have politics like Britta. I’m awkward like Britta. I pronounce the word “bagel” like Britta. There’s just a million tools that are brought to bear in creating a character that to me is a unique move in a sitcom. I feel that way on one level or another about almost all the other characters, and my white guilt kept saying to me, “Is she sticking out because she’s a black woman?” And that all the more made me say, “I’ve gotta get in there. I don’t want to perpetuate this cycle.”

So my impulse was to start doing to her what I was doing to Britta in the first season in response to people saying, “We don’t like that character. We’re not responding to that character.” My response was to start pulverizing that character, putting pressure on her, saying, “You’re not supposed to like her. It’s all part of the show. Have you ever not been liked?” And slowly but surely, this Britta character went from being perceived as a mistake to being perceived as an achievement and numerous people’s favorite character, including mine, frankly. I want to always make sure that all of these characters can all be worlds and universes in and of themselves. And I just felt obstacles there with Shirley, and I felt like I just wanted to make her human. So I had her make out with Chang in the bathroom.

Looking back, seaosn two got off to a shaky start (Dan Harmon seems to hate five of the first six episodes.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
IT'S NOT SHIRLEY'S FAULT SHE'S NOT LIKEABLE! :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

Well Dan Harmon says it's his fault, yes.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
That's what I MEANT.

CaptainWacky

I didn't like the Abed Jesus episode.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't like Britta. I find her funny, but I don't like her. She's as much of a judgemental try-hard as Shirley, only from a liberal rather than conservative perspective.

CaptainWacky

But in a likable way!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't find it likable, as such. Making friends with a lesbian just so she could be seen to be open minded and better than everyone else isn't much different from Shirley making a big deal out of how she's going to forgive so and so for doing something, so she can be seen as pious and having better morals than everyone else. The only difference is that Britta's usually more half arsed in her attempts and therefore funny, but that doesn't make her more likable for me. She's still up herself.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like something about all the characters, because none of them are perfect. I think Dan Harmon tries to explore the imperfections, or something. Shirley never bothered me, because I found her piousness cute, and I also enjoy the times the sassy black lady comes out. I like Britta because she tries so hard to be the girl she pretends to be, I can relate to that.

CaptainWacky

She's nice to cats.

CaptainWacky

ANOTHER NAME-SWITCHING JEW OMG.