COMMUNITY Season 6 OKAY

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Are you still signed up with either of those other private sites I shared with you?

The theme of the first 2 episodes is CHANGE and GROWTH, kind of like how season 4 of Buffy was IDENTITY after half the cast fucked off.

LADDER - It was funny. But the absence of the departed cast members is now painful. Shirley's fake TV show at the end was one of the funniest parts.

SECOND EPISODE WITH LONG NAME - It was funnier overall. Best joke: Francesca's "Jimmy Fallon Syndrome" line. Also I love to see Lesley Ann Warren in anything, great choice as Britta's mom. Martin Mull is looking soooooo old, but he's still funny. But Britta's character has jumped the shark, as has Chang's. They need to fix that.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The Pirate Bay link worked for me, thanks J.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The lovely golden lighting flooding into the study room made those scenes look like a movie. It's supposed to look cheap and artificial!!

Anyway, it was funny and Britta looks really nice and less like Michael Jackson with her (more or less) natural hair colour.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
JESUS WEPT!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The lighting was definitely a lot brighter because I remember posting "WHY IS EVERYTHING SO DARK?" during season five a lot. Good CG frisbee like someone tweeted as well.

It was kind of sad how they had to add more drawings to the thingy in the opening credits because they didn't have enough cast members to fill it. I guess Paget Brewster and Keith David are classed the same as Jonathan Banks in that they're in nearly every episode but don't count as main character so they don't get paid as much?

Anyway, am I the only one who thought the first episode was much better? It felt far more natural than season 5's 'Repilot' in terms of setting up the new situation. It had a decent story and I was impressed they managed to resist yet another "JEFF IS TEMPTED TO LEAVE AND BECOME AN EVIL LAWYER" moment. "Shut up, Leonard. I mistook like six guys for you at a pharmacy" then Frankie's failed attempts to insult Leonard was funny. Abed was funny. It was funny.

The second episode...meh? It's amazing what a difference an extra five minutes makes as it felt pretty long and had some stuff that dragged and wouldn't have been included if it was on a network (this would also apply to the montages in the first episode but they were funnier.) I'm talking about the virtual reality stuff. The idea was funny but I really didn't need to watch the Dean act out every individual action. It felt like padding almost. And I love Britta (GILLIAN JACOBS HAS ALWAYS BEEN BEAUTIFUL, FUDDLEMIFF) but the story with her parents didn't really work for me. They never made it clear if Britta was telling the truth about them being horrible parents so it just made her look kind of bad.

Portugese Gremlins was great though.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah, the first episode was better but I thought both were pretty damn good.

The second episode sort of felt like a season 4 episode, except if it was actually written well.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
On second thought, the second wasn't necessariliy fuinnier than the first. I just felt like the first was almost too subdued and plotty/charactery for a Community episode. But hey CHANGE. And once I saw how Francesca was integrated into the gang in episode two, things made more sense.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
In case you were wondering:

Ken Jeong Says He’ll Never Leave ‘Community,’ No Matter What

March 18, 2015 | 12:48PM PT
Debra Birnbaum
Executive Editor, TV @debrabirnbaum

Aside from playing the crazy Señor Chang, Ken Jeong is known for being, as he calls it, a “lifer” on “Community,” sticking with the show from its beginning to its current state, in season six on Yahoo Screen. Jeong spoke to Variety about dealing with the show’s cancellation on NBC, cast changes and why he’ll never leave the cult favorite.

You’re six seasons in. Are you still enjoying it?
This has honestly been my favorite season out of all them because there’s a new lease on life. There’s a new freshness to it. We still have most importantly Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna and all the great writers from last year. Table reads are my favorite part of this whole experience for me. We get to read the scripts for the first time. It’s fun going to a Dan Harmon table read, to discover the words for the first time. The quality is still so sharp, after six seasons, after over 100 episodes. I’m just in awe of how Dan and the whole writing staff work. I’ve never been part of anything so consistently brilliant.

Does it feel different on Yahoo?
It doesn’t feel like because we’re on Yahoo now, I can do “Hangover” stuff and be nude. But we don’t have the same constraints. I’m not privy to any notes, but for me it feels like the respect of the vision of the show appears to be stronger than ever. I can’t say enough great things about Yahoo and (chief marketing officer) Kathy Savitt. She deserves all the credit for giving us more love than we have ever had, ever.

How did you feel when the show was cancelled?
I was devastated. Not being able to be with your friends — that was the first thing that came to my mind. Words can’t express my love for everybody. When you’re working with your friends it doesn’t feel like it’s work. Of course in TV all things end, but I felt the show had gotten better last year. There were more quality stories to tell, and I’ve been proved right. We still have a lot more to offer. I’ve already had several moments this season personally for my character that are my favorite of the series.

And when you were picked up?
I was ecstatic. I didn’t think it could be a possibility. You hear all the time, of course, the studio will shop it around. But as time went by, I assumed they’re passing. For us to come back is another miracle.

The show is full of miracles. I feel like we’re bucking the rules of television just by existing. I feel like we’re defying the rules of conventional TV. Any TV expert or agent or manager, no one would have predicted this. We’re a complete anomaly. It’s inspiring to me because nothing ever feels phoned in on this show, from the writing to the performances, as well as to our props department and our set decorator. I don’t think they get enough credit.

Have you ever been asked to do something that you felt was too outrageous?
You’re talking to the guy from “The Hangover,” so that pretty much answers that question. It’s been an amazing ride of how the Chang character still stays fresh to me as an actor. That’s what I love the most.

It’s always exciting. You never know what’s going to happen. It’s exactly what I feel I’m about as a comedian. It’s rare for a TV show to do that, the amount of care they give to the lines of dialogue to all the characters.

Do you always get all the jokes?
At the table read, there was a point where I whispered to someone, “What does that mean?” and I missed my beat. A lot of people in comedy don’t give up their egos to ask what does this joke mean. There’s a lot of ego involved where you don’t want to look dumb. I have no problem as does every one in the cast asking, “Where are you trying to land with this joke?” and admitting I’m sorry I’ve been saying it wrong. Some of us are Oscar winners. Some of us are Emmy winners. Some of us are movie stars. But we all let go of our egos and have a good time. We all grew up together. You can only develop this level of trust and camaraderie after being together for six years through the highs and lows. We’ve survived so much.

How do you feel about the cast changes?
There’s always a character vacuum, absolutely. I definitely have missed them all. At the same time you’re also happy for them because they’re doing what makes them happy. Keith David and Paget Brewster have fit in like a glove from day one. There are some lines he says, he just has that gravitas. And Paget shot something yesterday that has been one of the funniest things I’ve seen all season.

Will you stay with the show?
I’ll never leave “Community,” no matter what. You’re either a lifer or you’re not. I’ve just learned so much. If we come back, I’ve got so much to learn. This show has been a huge influence on me and what I’ve done in my other projects. On set on the second “Hangover” movie, Todd Phillips looked at me and said, “I don’t know what happened between the first two ‘Hangover’ movies, but you’ve just gotten better. You were kind of a newbie and you’re a pro now.” I’ve had no formal training in acting. This has been my school.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
"I thought you were an Annie, but you're not. You're an Abed."

"I don't know what that means yet."

CaptainWacky

I didn't get at first that Chang getting lost after being bit by the cat was because the layout of the sets has changed.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Really? I had no idea nor did I even notice (or were you joking)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
META :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

Well someone said it somewhere. I thought the study room looked different when we first saw it.

Dan Harmon confirmed on his Instagram account that filming of the show would take place at CBS studio center instead of the Paramount lot on Stage 31.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Ah! Interesting...

It is pretty amazing, how much money must be spent on sets and studio space -- even a show that is relegated to a web series has as many large sets as Community does. Granted they are all pretty much big square boxes and some long hallways, but still...

CaptainWacky

How much did all those ladders cost!

CaptainWacky

TROY WAS HOTTER.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
They are Brittaing Britta, but otherwise this was a cute episode. Seemed kinda empty, though. I DON'T KNOW.