COMMUNITY Season 6 OKAY

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I THOUGHT IT WAS GOOD. But yeah I kind of liked that Britta and Keith David were going to be friends but then they just turned it into another "Britta's the worst" type joke and really I don't get why his character was even there when he isn't friends with the group and doesn't even know them? Not that he isn't funny (I liked his reaction when Frankie said she doesn't own a tv...like my reaction to CRANKY BASTARD.) Jeff's voice reading the Asian teen texts was funny.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The musical segue with Britta was inspired by Toast of London (Matt Berry's in a later episode in the season).

I could've done with hearing the word "dog" a few less times, but other than that it was very good!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
‘Community’ Was Hours From Dead, But Now Dan Harmon Is Loving The Yahoo Life

by David Bloom
March 25, 2015 3:38pm

Community was within hours of being truly dead, its actor contracts expiring without another distribution option when Sony Pictures TV and Yahoo cut a deal for a sixth season. And now, with the quirky comedy relaunched on Yahoo earlier this month, creator Dan Harmon said he couldn’t be happier, even if he was “relieved” when NBC first cancelled the show.

Yahoo“What are the dark days that are coming?” Harmon said semi-seriously during a panel with Yahoo and Sony executives at the Content Industry Connect LA conference today. “Now that we’re rid of that horrible Nielsen metric, what horrible things are coming?”

Harmon said he used to have to deal with the oppressions of both a network stuck in a long-established process of managing and structuring shows and of ratings numbers. Now, not so much.

“I’m one back injury away from being David Milch (giving orders while lying down on the set because of his back),” Harmon joked. “I’m so close to that because of the amount of rope Yahoo has given me.”

Yahoo has kept the reins on Harmon loose, said Ian Moffitt, Yahoo’s sr. director of programming, strategy and acquisitions, to allow the show room to go where Harmon will take it. Sony is taking a similar approach.

“From Sony’s standpoint and mine you embrace the chaos,” said Sony VP of Development Max Aronson. “It would be a waste of all of our time to try to make it that” traditional network show while distributing it online.

“One of the things that’s going to change, I hope, is this enmity will end between people in the bureaucracies of the networks and the people making the content,” Harmon said. “It seems those days have ended, but maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part.”

Harmon, who was fired from the show at one point, then returned for the fifth season, had plenty of fights with network executives. So when NBC finally canceled the show, “I was very relieved,” Harmon said. “I just had so much exhaling to do and was so happy that Community was done. I just needed to celebrate.”

Then a Sony executive asked if he’d be up for having the show revived, on Hulu, which had been running the show in re-runs, and making Harmon a lot of money. After some initial reluctance, and stories that he was the only holdup, Harmon said he decided, “Hulu makes sense. Hulu bought my house. They were paying a lot of money for a Community package. We thought it would be Hulu. Then the Hulu clock ran out. Then I was relieved again.”

Attention turned to Yahoo, but time was very short. And once again, Harmon said he wasn’t enthusiastic, until Yahoo’s Chief of Media and CMO Kathy Savitt called.

“I got the impression from talking to Kathy Savitt that I was on the wrong side of history if I don’t cooperate,” Harmon said. “I thought, ‘These people are going to be in charge of the base on the moon one day and will be in charge of whether I get oxygen or not.'”

Aronson said Sony initially “needed some selling too” on doing a deal with Yahoo. But, “We were incredibly impressed. We thought it was going to be Hulu too and when that fell apart, I thought it was over.”

Yahoo was interested in Community because it always had a very young-skewing audience, and a vocal one,” Moffitt said.

Max Aronson SPTV Ian Moffitt Yahoo Screen“That younger audience is coming to us in droves, largely in part because of Community and other shows we’re doing,” Moffitt said. “It was about finding the perfect show to demonstrate what we’re trying to do, and it was perfect.”

Harmon said Yahoo was “ahead of the game,” thanks to its deep trove of data about what people are searching for.

“You have numbers beyond numbers beyond numbers, cubes of them and tesseracts of them,” Harmon said. “You are looking at things you looked at before you bought the show. I don’t have to look at anything.”

Moffitt said that the initial couple of episodes are showing that people don’t watch long-form video during work hours, but “evenings are good.” The key is the user experience with the Screen App and whether it makes it easy and attractive for visitors.

No longer having to worry about that weekly number, Harmon said, “That part’s a relief, but I just fill it with other (sources of) anxiety.”

Oh, and regarding rumors about a Community movie, Harmon said, “I have been told not to talk about that (a movie), so that’s an exciting answer. I actually don’t know.

(But) that’s not just something that’s been made up and floated out there. It keeps coming up.”
He's such a coquette.

CaptainWacky

And we spent all those years making fun of Yahoo...

CaptainWacky

SO DID NO ONE ELSE FUCKING WATCH IT THEN?

Not the funniest episode ever. The Karate Kid story was pretty good. Just not all that funny? But it was good that Chang got to act well (and I guess it was kind of meta with Ken Jeong always playing crazy Asian men.) Let's face it though the Gay Dean song was the highlight. This show does good original music (or original cover parody music of whatever you call it.)

And there was something with birds I guess.

They must be having a big Britta episode soon, right?

Jeff hasn't really done much this season either.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BIG GAY DEAN ON CAMPUS! Loved the gay dean song.

I was glad they finally found something for Chang to do that wasn't annoying.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Well it's not going to be anyone's favourite episode ever, but it was ok.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I wonder why Britta was so scary acting every time Elroy said something to her. THAT will probably be Britta's next thing, they'll say she's racist :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

I didn't notice that. Maybe she just doesn't know what to say around a crazy old man.

Also the part where he said he was going to sue the maker of Donkey Kong and Jeff said "they're probably dead by now" DIDN'T WORK because surely Abed would have pointed out that Shigeru Miyamoto is still alive and well and awesome?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
"I'm not openly anything, and gay doesnt' begin to cover it." - Love it! Also the magic trick analogy.

"I am so curious." "Oh?" "Intellectually." "Oh."

The community theater & angry director was a riff on a lazy cliché. Meh. I get sick of theater being dumped on/dismissed like this. FUCK OFF, THE BEST TV AND FILM ACTORS GOT THEIR START IN THEATER AND THEY GO BACK TO IT EVERY CHANCE THEY GET YOU LAZY SNOB. Oh and directors NEVER speak before a performance.

The payoffs for each of the stories sucked. But it was good that Ken got to flex his muscles.

Giving Annie that line about being at a total loss seems like the writers telling us they didn't know where this one went off the rails. Cop out.

CaptainWacky

I THOUGHT THIS EPISODE WAS PRETTY GOOD.

"Does anyone ever get their head stuck between the bars?"
"We call that Getting Metal Ears!"

Britta and Annie made good faces.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I LIKED IT.

I wish they'd have an episode where they're all doing something together SOON. Also, Britta needs an episode.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Abed as Seinfeld made me laugh out loud unexpectedly.

LOL THE NEW GUY IS BLACK LIKE PIERCE WAS A RACIST I guess that's going to be his thing now.

"You're trying as hard as you can right now to murder me..."

"...and the mumbly pointlessness of everything after 2003" YAAAAS LAWD.

THIS IS A SILLY SHOW I LIKE IT.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Can't find any downloads in the usual places. :-/

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Can you use Hola! to watch the ep at Yahoo?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Looks like I can, but it's not the best quality.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Oh. I didn't see your post, Wacky, so I made do and watched it on Yahoo!'s site.

Good episode!

"Are you still trying to murder me?"

I agree, all of Elron's (is that right?) jokes are about race, which is a bit... well, racist, I guess? Sure, he has the technology whiz side of his character, but I see a point where they run out of ways to use that in plots and he's just making or being the butt of race jokes.