DEATH PENALTY

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
good point! now, how the hell do I edit that in? erk.

curiousa2z

The reason I'm thinking about this today is that this part of the province where i live has been on Amber A
Alert for the past 42 days looking for an 8 year old girl, Tori Stafford.

Yesterday a man and woman were charged with her murder. Police have been searching in a dumpster about 1 hour away from where she lived, as her remains have still not been found.
Who puts a human being in a dumpster? Who kills a Grade 3er?
Times like this I am sorry we do not have the death panalty in Canada.
I was wondering if the death penalty exists where you live, and if you support it, or not, or under certain circumstances, or why you oppose it.

thanks!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The death penalty doesn't exist over here in the UK anymore, which I'm glad about since I don't agree with it. I just think it sets a really bad example for the state to be killing people.

There are some instances, like in the article BDM posted a few days back, where sure, I'd like to see the guy get ripped to shreds by wild dogs, but just because I have a gut reaction like that doesn't mean it should be acted upon. I also think that when someone's done something as heinous as that it's really giving them a favour to kill them. Why should they get to die relatively peacefully when everyone else has to go on dealing with their shit? No, I think it's a fitter punishment for them to live out the rest of their lives being vilified for their actions.

One argument people make is that keeping offenders in prison for life costs the taxpayer too much. Again, I don't think it's right for the state to say "it costs us too much to keep this person alive, so we'll just execute them". If it costs too much to feed and clothe them then make them work for it like everyone else in society. Make them do menial tasks that no one else wants. In the long run, that might actually be more beneficial to the community than if the prisoners were dead.

There's also the issue of innocent people being executed. I know these cases are gone over rigorously, but mistakes still happen.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
We give the most evil fuckers incredibly lightweight sentences in Britain.

I don't agree with the Death Penalty for the most part though I would never dream of taking the moral high ground with those who have been victims of the worst society has to offer.

I want life to actually mean for life. Not out in 5 years. And I want those in prison for the worst crimes to literally be caged like animals and made to break rocks for the rest of their lives in prison. No TV's, community events or other luxuries that are so often handed out these days.

Stick em in a cold cell and let them rot in there for the rest of their natural lives. If people had more faith that the punishment was relentless and unforgiving in prison then less would probably support the Death Penalty.

Prison should be so fucking awful (again, for the WORST criminals) that a last meal and a quick injection would seem like a really good deal.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
When people in the US talk about the cost of keeping someone in prison for life, I can't help but laugh at the bullshit. We lock up more of our own citizens than any country in the world. If the cost of imprisoning people was a problem you'd think they'd stop locking up non violent drug offenders. There are private companies making a killing off locking as many people up as possible.

I do think there are times when a person deserves the death penalty, but I also believe that too many people are sentenced to death without being proved guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Our system of prosecution is corrupted by grandstanding DAs who are only interested in getting reelected. Serving justice doesn't interest them as much as their win record.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I agree. In the US there are far too many young adults who have their lives ripped apart and are sent to prison just for smoking a couple of joints.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
I agree with the death penalty for people who have killed and are most likely to kill again.
And, it's always a judgement call.
does a single killer that did it in a particularly gruesome way get it?
what about repeditive scammers? those people that have caused multitudes of other people to go bankrupt?
It's not killing, but they have affected the lives of hundreds of people negatively, and who's to say if one or more of their victims commited suicide because of it?

And don't get me started on SPAMMERS!!!! (telemarketers and mailbox stuffers!)

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Yeah, I agree. In the US there are far too many young adults who have their lives ripped apart and are sent to prison just for smoking a couple of joints.
Most sentient beings would learn not to smoke pot.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'm against it because of the whole "the state should be better than the criminals" thing and if we should set an example by not taking life (THE SAME REASON BATMAN DOESN'T KILL CRIMINALS) though as I get older it seems less likely that this will ever make much of a difference and we'll ever end up living in Star Trek: The Next Generation utopia world. But there's also the fact that I might become a serial killer one day and I don't want to die so I still have to be against it for that reason.

curiousa2z

thanks, everyone for your thoughts on this - I actually guess when I calm down (the woman abducted the kid right from the school yard after school) I am against it as well, if nothing more for the reason that Fuddlemiff pointed out: mistakes have been made [Stephen Truscott].

But I agree with Menty: a life sentence should be fucking LIFE and not out on parole for "good behaviour" (what about the behaviour that got them there?), and not earning a B.A. on the taxpayers' backs when the rest of us had to go in debt earning ours [Karla Homolka], and not having goddamn satellite TV , etc.

Why indeed cant the bastards be involved in work projects - something that would go toward some sort of redress to society?

p.s. thanks for your insight into judicial issues in your State, Cassie.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I want life to actually mean for life. Not out in 5 years. And I want those in prison for the worst crimes to literally be caged like animals and made to break rocks for the rest of their lives in prison. No TV's, community events or other luxuries that are so often handed out these days.

Yup. It pisses me off no end when I hear on the news that someone's got "life", but "could be released in 3 years". It's abso-fuckin-lutely ridiculous! I don't care if someone's been a good little boy in prison, they're not serving their sentence for their behaviour during the time they were locked up, it's for whatever crime they committed outside.

Yes, I think rehabilitation is a great idea for those on short sentences and often instead of prison altogether, but not for serious crimes.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
We're 40 years into the "War on Drugs" and no, many people still feel it's a lesson that need not be taught in the first place.

There aren't magazines, conventions and political lobby organizations dedicated to making crack or coke legal. People aren't idiots. This is one of those issues where government would rather turn a blind eye and treat people like idiots, because it makes their jobs easier.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Jack Tweed sunbathes in prison!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

x0we2lc82joyq7n9z95.jpg