Do you get the feeling that we are about to enter WWIII

Cranky Bastard

If you are speaking of the religious-culture war of Islam against the West (as they have learned in their textbooks for the last 30 years), then you are correct and more aware than I had imagined you to be.

Ogami

No World War III, although I think it likely within the next few decades for Israel and Iran to have a nuclear exchange.

The Question

Eternal
Cranky Bastard said:
If you are speaking of the religious-culture war...
...then WW3 actually started as a Civil war here in the U.S., and the opening volleys were fired from university campuses. ;)

Cranky Bastard

The Question said:
...then WW3 actually started as a Civil war here in the U.S., and the opening volleys were fired from university campuses. ;)

This is why I say that Islam will win. We are fighting ourselves from within. The enemy has free reign to attack and we're helping them.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Cranky Bastard said:
This is why I say that Islam will win. We are fighting ourselves from within. The enemy has free reign to attack and we're helping them.

If this turns out to be the case, it will suck in a very special way. A writer I admire once said that the 9/11 attacks were "like being bitten by a rat out of the dustbin of history". If there's going to be another world war, I'd rather it be over socio-political issues than religious ones. That's a little like saying you'd rather have polonium-210 in your coffee than hemlock, sure, but I'd like to at least cling to the hope that our conflicts, however devastating, actually show some overall progress as a species. So far, it has, but it's a glacial progress: One step back for every two steps forward.

Then again maybe we need an all-out religious world war to cleanse us of that kind of pious myopia once and for all. But it wouldn't stop with the defeat of Islam.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Sadistic Bastard said:
India and Pakistan, All of Africa, maybe parts of the former Soviet Union (but not Russia) might fight each other. North Korea has nothign to loose, but isn't powerful enough to suck the entire world in. A fight yes, but a "World" War? Nawwwww.
-SB

If a "limited" nuclear conflict takes place in Asia there will be TREMENDOUS pressure for us to get involved, not only as the only nation who's ever actually used nukes in wartime, but as the only one with an effective first-strike deterrent capability. Question is: Would we learn the lesson of World War I, when a very small conflict spread to an entire continent in a matter of days (and, eventually, to a whole planet) thanks to a domino-effect of treaties and alliances, when old-world thinking combined horribly with new-world weapons for the first time (although the Civil War gave a pretty good preview, but that was over different and IMO more valid issues) for a horror-show the likes of which the world had never seen up to that point? Could we afford to hold off, a la President Wilson's policy? Would we, in this day and age, stand aside and let the aggrieved parties turn each other to glowing ponds of glass?

A significant part of me hopes we would. And yet.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Cranky Bastard said:
The next big weapon might be biological. Death without the bang - except for dispersion. What better way to conquer? The neutron bomb was a step in that direction.

Sounds like a plan --as long as the wind doesn't change.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
It'll be all about control; about containing the collateral damage.

The next big thing will be robots: Millions of tiny, lethal robots programmed to go after a group of people, or even specific people.

Keep an eye on Japan.

The Question

Eternal
Archibald Nixon said:
Sounds like a plan --as long as the wind doesn't change.

Unless genetically-targeted bioweapons come into play, in which case the wind doesn't matter much.

Ogami

I wonder when Gagh is negging someone, does he have both hands on the keyboard? There's obviously a fetish going on here, I guess we're just fortunate he doesn't have a webcam attached during all this. :retard:

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Ogami said:
I wonder when Gagh is negging someone, does he have both hands on the keyboard? There's obviously a fetish going on here, I guess we're just fortunate he doesn't have a webcam attached during all this. :retard:

OMG!

I would see a religious based war as more of a civil war, or set of wars within several countries (Including the USA).

If it comes to that, we can write off the SF Bay area (sigh).

Cranky Bastard

I'll write off the SF Bay Area right the hell now and piss easier for it.

Oh come on, the Stamford campus is nice...

Cranky Bastard

Been there once for my cousin's wedding at the chapel. Other than that, I don't give a shit.

Berkeley should be the terrorists next prime target.

Cranky Bastard

The OTHER Bastard, the one The Harlot doesn't sleep with.

happy0188.gif

Red Whacker

starguard said:
Do you think it possible?

Well a Middle Eastern leader did die recently just when the McNaught comet (brightest celestial object in 30 years) made its appearance.

Coincidence? I tend to think so, but the world is full of weakminded individuals who will more likely than not try to fulfill other potheaded predictions.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Red Whacker said:
Coincidence? I tend to think so, but the world is full of weakminded individuals who will more likely than not try to fulfill other potheaded predictions.
Which Bush has been doing since Day One, actually. People laughed at Nancy Reagan's astrologer, but don't seem to have any comment on Bush's repeated insistence that he's destined to start some serious End-of-Days shit.