Doctor Who/Clara theory

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I wanted to make this a seperate thread.

My therapist and I were talking about Doctor Who during my weekly visit. (That's how I knew she was a cool person...She's a Whovian).

She's got an idea on who Clara is and I don't know if this has been talked about in the main thread and I'm too lazy to go check.

So...SPOILERS

She thinks Clara is the little girl from the Library episodes, where we first meet River Song. I thought that was a pretty interesting theory, and wanted to know if any of y'all had ideas on that, or want to dispute and say YOUR THERAPIST IS FUCKING NUTS NO WAY THAT'S HER

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to really speculate, but it's interesting that pretty much every theory I've heard about who Clara is and what the Doctor's name is revolves around the library.

Tisiphone

Okay then, so this is something others have brought up. I'll be sure and let her know when I see her on Monday.

Before we officially start our session, we always recap Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. She hasn't read the books, and I'm just like "Oh, you just don't know what's coming." LoL.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well, I guess it's possible. I mean CAL was just a consciousness in a computer at the end but I guess anything's possible.

Tisiphone

And that is where River is still stored, right? Or maybe.

Fucking time travel gives me a headache and confuses me.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I hope she's nothing to do with River. I also hope she is just an ordinary girl and it's through her own actions that she becomes extraordinary, rather than that she was created by The Seventh Bibble Of Meep to trap the Doctor in the Hodor Cage Of Light and that's why she's special.

Tisiphone

^I'm with you. I never liked the character of River Song, but as I've said before, I think it's because of how Alex Kingston played it. Especially knowing they wanted Kate Winslet for the part. NERDGASM

She's kinda why I stopped watching for a while. I never got her and she made me SO ANGRY

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think somehow she is Susan, in the last episode he tried to take her back to victorian london to jog her memory of being there before in a previous life, and when he took her to the god awful singing girl flying bike planet, he said he had been there before, with his granddaughter.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
All the time travel stuff during the River Song era made Doctor Who incredibly confusing for me. I don't even remember the library. I ended up just turning off the part of my brain that wanted to figure things out.

I really like Clara and this season of Doctor Who. I finally feel like I know what's going on, even though there are lots of things I don't know.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The library was back when David Tennant was the Doctor (did you watch then?)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
IDGAF about Clara. If they reveal The Doctor's Galifreyan birth name, I think I'll flip absolute shit. The Doctor IS his name for all I care. He picked it for himself, just like The Master picked his. Accordig to canon, Galifreyan children choose their own name at the time where they are taken to look into the Untempered Schism. End of story. Part of the mystery of the show (which has continued for almost 50 years) is NOT knowing his real name. Some things in fiction are best left a mystery, and this is most certainly one of them.

FYI, his name is written in plain sight in stars somewhere in the universe, and it's known by many others how to find it. Going on a quest to discover his name is kinda pointless. Also, doesn't Sarah Jane Smith know his name? Told it to her during the Tom Baker (the pivotal Doctor IMHO: genesis of the daleks anyone?) years, yeah?

Tisiphone

Would Donna know his name if she got her memory back since she's part Time Lord?

(That may be a stupid question, but fuck it, I'll ask it).

Yub

Anachrophobic
Would Donna know his name if she got her memory back since she's part Time Lord?

(That may be a stupid question, but fuck it, I'll ask it).

I'm guessing yes, but she'd die, so bad and stuff. Also River Song = awesomesauce. I'm wondering where the hell she's been.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
^ I agree. I like River. She's fun. I don't understand the hate.

Tomtrek, go rewatch "The Sound Of The Drums". The Doctor specifically states that it's part of the initiation into the Academy of the Timelords. They look into the Untempered Schism and then pick a name.

As for the SJS being told, that's just an assumption of mine based on the ongoing relationship she and Baker's Doctor had. I haven't watched all of those episodes yet. I was referring to "The Genesis of the Daleks" as one of the better Who series and Baker's perormance was exemplary.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Again, in "The Sound of the Drums" Donna remembers, but it triggers a defence mechanism The Doctor put in place to protect her. She just remembered and some weird pulse shockwave blasted out of her head and presumably killed or incapacitated three Master clones, then promptly knocked her unconscious to miss another large alien happening.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Tomtrek, go rewatch "The Sound Of The Drums". The Doctor specifically states that it's part of the initiation into the Academy of the Timelords. They look into the Untempered Schism and then pick a name.
"Children of Gallifrey are taken from their families at age of 8 to enter the Academy. Some say that's where it all began, when he was a child. That's when The Master saw eternity.

As a novice he was taken for initiation, stood in front of the Untempered Schism - it's a gap in the fabric of reality, though which can be seen the whole of the vortex. You stand there, 8 years old, staring at the raw power of time and space - just a child! Some would be inspired, some would run away, and some would go mad."

Says nothing about picking a name, sorry.

As for the SJS being told, that's just an assumption of mine based on the ongoing relationship she and Baker's Doctor had. I haven't watched all of those episodes yet. I was referring to "The Genesis of the Daleks" as one of the better Who series and Baker's perormance was exemplary.

"What is The Doctor's true name?" is not a question that is ever really raised in the classic series, so it's an assumption you're pulling out of nowhere really.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Of course if you are in america and ordered the bluray of season 7 you will already have the name of the Doctor today.

So maybe you can tell us.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
^ Ok, because he's told just about every other woman he loves, why not one of the longest running companions who got her own spinoff? Also, yes, the question about his real name is brought up all ove Who history, even in the VERY FIRST episode. When (I don't remember his name) The Doctor's granddaughter's male teacher arrives in the junkyard and is introduced to The Doctor for the first time, he makes something of a scene about the issue.

There are a number of cases noted by the TARDIS wikia as well.

Master: Doctor.
Doctor: Master.
Master: I like it when you use my name.
Doctor: You chose it. Psychiatrist's field day.
Master. As you chose yours. "The man who makes people better." How sanctimonious is that?

"The Sound of the Drums, Part 1" Time reference 18:00 - 18:25.

I may have been mistaken about it being part of the initiation, but he still chose the name himself. Seeing as how it's at the moment when a Time Lord either goes mad, becomes inspired, or runs away while viewing the entirety of time and space, one can be led to the conclusion that's the time he picked his name.

A correction: Donna remembers in part 1 of "The End of Time". I had a Master mixup.