Doctor Who/Clara theory

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
His name is written in a book titled "The History Of The Time War" in the TARDIS library. Just go read that.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
^ Ok, because he's told just about every other woman he loves, why not one of the longest running companions who got her own spinoff?

The only person we know to know his name is River. And we don't even know if he told it to her directly. He has never mentioned it to any other companion.

Also, yes, the question about his real name is brought up all ove Who history, even in the VERY FIRST episode. When (I don't remember his name) The Doctor's granddaughter's male teacher arrives in the junkyard and is introduced to The Doctor for the first time, he makes something of a scene about the issue.

Um, what? You mean when he calls him "Doctor Foreman" and he say "Eh, Doctor Who?". That's it. Like it's a really basic mention, and is very rarely ever mentioned again throughout the next 26 years of the classic series, and it's certainly never ever brought up as a big secret until "The Girl in the Fireplace".

Master: Doctor.
Doctor: Master.
Master: I like it when you use my name.
Doctor: You chose it. Psychiatrist's field day.
Master. As you chose yours. "The man who makes people better." How sanctimonious is that?

"The Sound of the Drums, Part 1" Time reference 18:00 - 18:25.

I may have been mistaken about it being part of the initiation, but he still chose the name himself. Seeing as how it's at the moment when a Time Lord either goes mad, becomes inspired, or runs away while viewing the entirety of time and space, one can be led to the conclusion that's the time he picked his name.

That's a really big conclusion to make. There's nothing in the series that assumes he was calling himself "The Doctor" before Ian and Barbara started to call him that. In the first story, he never introduces himself as "The Doctor", that's just what he gets called by Ian and Barbara because all they know about him is that he's "some kind of doctor", and then the name stuck.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
It's still a fair conclusion. I don't have the patience to go through all of the episodes I know address the issue. It isn't isolated to the Moffat refit, either. His name has been told to at least one or two other companions. It wasn't a major issue until "The Wedding of River Song", not "The Girl in the Fireplace" or even "The Shakespeare Code". The latter two episodes do make light of his name being a "spooky secret", but don't make as big an issue of it as the former.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Yeah it really is too bothersome to actually back up the point you're making with examples.

Yeah, it really is too bothersome to go through 50 years of a tv show to find the information to disprove a pompous ass on an Internet message board, when he could just read the wikia article I mentioned previously and STFU about it.

For being an American, not being born until 20 years after the show started, nor being old enough to get into it before it was cancelled, and at least knowing what I do without having to refer to that article until now, I deserve a little credit. Fuck, some of the episodes are lost forever. Those telesyncs aren't all that amazing sometimes. Do you really expect me to dig through thousands of hours of video and audio, thousands of pages of magazines, books, and comics (I own some originals, btw) just to prove YOU wrong? Do the research yourself. I know these episodes, books, and comics that address the issue exist, as do hundreds of other Whovians. Your distaste for anything I say is both obvious and ridiculous.

Blah!

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
You're both pretty.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The library was back when David Tennant was the Doctor (did you watch then?)

I don't think I watched it regularly back then, because they weren't airing the same time over here as over there yet.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
This Doctor Who name guessing game is TEARING US APART.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think his name will be the sound effect they use on Carry on Dick whenever anyone says cock.

SAUSAGEMAN

For being an American, not being born until 20 years after the show started, nor being old enough to get into it before it was cancelled, and at least knowing what I do without having to refer to that article until now, I deserve a little credit.

"Being an American" isn't actually a disability, though I can understand why you might think so.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
His name will be LENRY HENRY.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
"Being an American" isn't actually a disability, though I can understand why you might think so.

The point of that specification was because the original Doctor Who series aired in the UK and is not in syndication ANYWHERE here. Nor has it been since the show was cancelled. The only contribution we had was the movie with the 8th Doctor, which was totally horrible. The majority of the show is not on DVD. What copies exist for the majority of the original (until about three years ago), are on VHS. Finding and watching the original show for Americans is not that easy a task. So, in this case, being an American IS a hindrance.

I wasn't taking a swipe at the idiocy of the majority of Americans. <- That sentence IS.

See the difference?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Back on topic...

I really hope his name is at least a palindrome. That way, it makes sense going forward AND backward. Or it's actually "Timey-wimey, Wibbly-wobbly".

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
If I didn't like The Tomtrek so much, I would research infinitesimally small points of order on Doctor Who canon then get them ever so slightly wrong in an argument with him. It would drive him bonkers as he would know that I was dicking around but he would be unable to stop himself correcting me.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
If I didn't like The Tomtrek so much, I would research infinitesimally small points of order on Doctor Who canon then get them ever so slightly wrong in an argument with him. It would drive him bonkers as he would know that I was dicking around but he would be unable to stop himself correcting me.

This is my hell, and also my heaven.

SAUSAGEMAN

I do this in chat once in a while, it's fun.