Dune Movie

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Laptop/PC –> HDMI out –> into big screen TV

CaptainWacky

Plugging an external hard drive into your blu ray player works too, I hear!

SAUSAGEMAN

I’m hearing that Legendary Entertainment either has or will send legal letters to Warner Bros as soon as today, challenging the decision to put the Denis Villenueve-directed Dune into the HBO Max deal, and maybe Godzilla vs Kong as well. On the latter, Legendary reportedly had Netflix ready to pull the film from Warner Bros for around $250 million, before WarnerMedia blocked it. Sources said Legendary had no advance notice before last week’s announcement that both Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong were part of the HBO Max plan.

Legendary certainly seems to have the right to challenge WarnerMedia on its decision: Legendary and its partners provided 75% of the $165 million or so net budget of Dune, the adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel that was envisioned to be the first of multiple films exploiting the six-novel series. It put up a similar amount of the funding on the Godzilla vs. Kingfilm. Will the long-term viability of the franchises be tarnished by starting out as an HBO Max offering? It’s the same question the industry is asking about Wonder Woman. Legendary wouldn’t comment. I’m told there are three other films that have a right to believe movies they majority financed are being served up to provide a steroid shot to HBO Max’s paid subscriber base by undoing deals that were made for theatrical release and the traditional revenue waterfall.

not so fast...

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
:rwmad:

CaptainWacky

We're never going to get Dune 2: The Rise Of The Worm Rider, are we.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don’t think we ever were (unless they filmed them together?). As much as I love Dune I don’t think the appeal is that big. It doesn’t have much recognition among the general population and I’m not sure the trailer gives people a clear idea of what it is or what it’ll deliver. Similar to Blade Runner people who like it love it, and for everyone else it’s a vague thing they’ve sort of half heard of.

CaptainWacky

They haven't filmed a second movie yet, no. And you're probably right, but there was always the chance it would become a Lord of The Rings style success somehow! Or at least half as successful.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Run out and get your TImotheé doll NOW!

How McFarlane Toys Built the Timothee Chalamet Action Figure for ‘Dune’ - Variety

TC7TT3O.jpg

CaptainWacky

I want a Zendaya to...play with.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Grrr! But still, A FRANCHISE!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I love millennial corporate executives, because they actually fear social media outrage. :bigass:

CaptainWacky

They should just make it into a book or something.

CaptainWacky

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Dune was originally rejected by 7, 13, or some other crazy number of publishers. I've got the newspaper* clipping in my scrapbook* in the other room, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out. Ultimately, it was published by Chilton's, the auto repair manual people.

*In Olden Dayes, information was printed onto sheets of paper.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
One of my Dune nerd friends had a Chilton edition. My first one was from the book of the month club.

CaptainWacky

Character posters.

SAUSAGEMAN

trailer is cool

there's less lady jessica in it than i expected

pleasantly surprised that they managed to resist "whispery voice recites litany against fear over tingly piano"

wow the words are both phallic and yonic