Futurama refuses to die (Hulu revival)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The cast is back EXCEPT...

‘Futurama’ Revived For New Season On Hulu With Original Cast; John DiMaggio Not Returning As Bender (For Now) - Deadline

Fry, Leela and Bender are set for more 31st century adventures. After months of negotiations, Hulu has finalized deals for 20 new episodes of Matt Groening and David X. Cohen’s cult animated sci-fi comedy Futurama to premiere in 2023 on the streamer. In addition to Groening and Cohen, set to come back is the majority of the series’ voice cast, including Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman.

Missing from the list is one of the three lead voice actors, John DiMaggio, who voices foul-mouthed robot Bender among half a dozen characters. The role is currently being recast ahead of the first table read on Monday. The decision was made after negotiations with Futurama studio 20th Television Animation came to a standstill though there is a desire on both sides to have DiMaggio rejoin the cast and reprise his role.

I hear DiMaggio, who has traveled the world promoting the character and the series over the years, was approached along with the rest of the cast. According to sources the offer to DiMaggio was in line with that for fellow leads West (Fry) and Sagal (Leela) who, after a back-and-forth, agreed to a deal while DiMaggio felt the proposal was not competitive based on the success and name recognition of of the original series.

Futurama is the third beloved Fox animated series to find a new life, following Family Guy, which was revived by the network after strong DVD sales, and American Dad!, which has become a staple on TBS.

First airing on Fox from 1999-2003, Futurama was brought back in 2007 with four direct-to-DVD movies that subsequently aired as 30-minute episodes on Comedy Central. Based on their success, similarly to Family Guy‘s resurrection, Comedy Central ordered new seasons of the series which made a return to television in June 2010. (Both Family Guy and Futurama also were helped by renewed interest in the shows through their run on Adult Swim.)

“I’m thrilled to have another chance to think about the future… or really anything other than the present,” said Cohen.

Added Groening, “It’s a true honor to announce the triumphant return of Futurama one more time before we get canceled abruptly again.”

Futurama‘s existing seasons are available to stream on Hulu, which has been building up its original and acquired adult animation content roster.

“When presented with the opportunity to bring fans and viewers new episodes of Futurama, we couldn’t wait to dive in. This iconic series helped blaze the trail for the success of adult animation since its initial launch and we look forward to Matt & David continuing to pave the way and further establishing Hulu as the premiere destination for fans of the genre,” said Craig Erwich, President, Hulu Originals and ABC Entertainment.

Over the course of its run, Futurama earned six Emmy Awards–including two Outstanding Animated Program, seven Annie Awards, two Environmental Media Awards and two Writer’s Guild of America Awards. Over its seven seasons spanning two decades, 140 original episodes were produced, with the then-final episode airing on September 4, 2013.

“What I love about animation is that it’s possible for a successful show to take a pause and then resume years later, even on a different platform, and pick up right where it left off. Futurama is one of those shows. The excitement from Hulu about returning Matt and David’s genius creation for all-new episodes has been off the charts. I’m thrilled that this incredible team will get to tell more stories, and that our Planet Express crew will have more adventures together. It’s a win for the fans who have loved the show since the beginning, and for the ones who will now discover it for the very first time,” commented Marci Proietto, Head of 20th Television Animation.

Futurama focuses on the life of Philip Fry (Billy West), a 25-year-old pizza delivery boy who accidentally freezes himself on December 31, 1999 and wakes up 1,000 years later with a fresh start at life and a “diverse” new group of friends including Leela (Katey Sagal), a tough but lovely one-eyed alien and Bender, a robot who possesses human characteristics and flaws.

Futurama, created by Matt Groening and developed by Groening and David X. Cohen, is produced 20th Television Animation a part of Disney Television Studios, with Rough Draft Studios, Inc. contributing the animation.

whisky

Boobie inspector
So they are doing it on the cheap and not paying people what they deserve, this bodes well.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I still remember the Susan Boyle episode. Like there were good episodes of the revival too, but the lows were really low...

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
So they are doing it on the cheap and not paying people what they deserve, this bodes well.
The offer’s probably pretty reasonable, but he’s got them over a barrel.

If it comes to the UK I’ll watch out of curiosity.

CaptainWacky

It'll probably be on Disney+ in the UK, as Hulu shows usually are.

Seems he thought the main three deserved more money, but Billy West and Katy Sagal took the lower offer.

CaptainWacky

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It was just a matter of time.

The Question

Eternal
Futurama will be running well into the '40s.

The fucking '40s.

Did you think you'd be reading "the '40s" and thinking of the future? Welcome to being Old, cunts.

CaptainWacky

It was just a matter of time.

futurama GIF

CaptainWacky

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The trouble with all the reboots has been the writing.

In the original 5 seasons, the stories mostly imagined what 31st centuries problems would be, with more implied references to 20th/21st century parallels, or at least they had an explanation how things evolved.

But all the reboots have taken a different approach, and just copied/pasted aspects of present culture onto the future template, with mostly clumsy and half-funny results.

This looks like more of the latter.

To this day, I mostly just watch the original seasons and a couple of the movies.

CaptainWacky

The "Fulu" thing made me roll my eyes (not literally) because it's exactly like the lazy late season Simpsons "parodies" where they just change one letter in the name of something and think that makes it funny ("MAPPLE" INSTEAD OF APPLE...what the fuck is a "mapple"?)

CaptainWacky

It was pretty risky making the plot of the first episode "hey these revivals are never good but we need content and some idiot will watch it anyway!" At least they're honest? I'm the idiot.

I think I laughed at one of the 'All My Circuits' bits and smiled at Zoidberg or something.

Billy West sounds so old. Which makes sense as he's 71! Maybe that's an actual good reason why they shouldn't revive a show where no one ages 24 years after the first episode.

The Question

Eternal
Maybe Futurama, too, can do a crossover with Lowest Common Denominator.

CaptainWacky

Second episode was pretty good. I liked that they kept continuity with Amy and Kif's babies coming out of the swamp twenty years after they were conceived (even though Amy doesn't look twenty years older, WHATEVER.) I laughed a few times like when Zoidberg ate one of the babies (he would!)

CaptainWacky

Epsisode 3 - Some funny bits, but just straight-up having bitcoin with no changes after a thousand years and Bender saying "ass" a lot doesn't really appeal to me.

Last edited: