Game Of Thrones 1.9 'Baelor'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'd always meant to read the books, but never got around to it. Now it appears I don't have to.

Well you don't HAVE to, no, but they do give a fuller version of the story. And it'll be a year before season two which is quite a long time to wait to find out what happens next...

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It's definitely worth it to read the books. There's only so much that can be shown in a TV show, with the book you get a deeper understanding of why they do things.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
GOOD EPISODE

As a non-book person I was left questioning the significance of the battle that took place, but considering it only involved 2 out of 20 thousand of Robb's men I took that it was a more minor skirmish in the leadup to a larger battle that we will see down the road. The episode did seem to have a lot of talking that was just there to fill up time instead of showing fighting, though. The scene with Kat talking to old man thingybob really seemed to drag on and then they cut it just as an interesting question was asked.

Good Drogo/Dany stuff. Will the baby be EVIL now it's been in the EVIL tent?

Poor little Arya. Has to eat pigeon, witnesses her father's execution and she's got promised to some boy who lives on a bridge.

Does Lena Headey only have one facial expression, or does the Queen just so happen to be incredulous to EVERYTHING?

Anyone catch the Wilhelm Scream in the aftermath of the battle?

Sansa should bite Joffrey's dick off.

CaptainWacky

The stuff with Walder Frey will be important later (he'll be back.)

They changed the battle stuff too, I think. In the book most of his men go to fight Tywin as the diversion (whereas in the episode Tywin seems a bit stupid for mistaking two thousand men for twenty thousand) and he ambushes Jaime with a small force. Confusingly when Robb comes riding out of the woods he only has a small number of men with him, leaving you wondering where the other 18,000 are supposed to be (he sends some to attack some place to draw Jaime out...but none of that's mentioned in the show anyway.)

Yeah, they need more money next year.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, I was wondering if the 10 or so men Robb rode back with were supposed to be the only survivors. That was certainly the impression given since the only other men from the 2000 that we saw were lying on a battlefield being finished off by the Lannister forces. It seems that a lot of these little discrepancies could easily be explained in throwaway lines. Maybe they are in the script, but just don't make it to the final cut.

They should have a non-book reader (maybe me!?) watch the episodes as they're being edited and point out stuff that could be made clearer.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Finally got around to watching it last night, and agree with pretty much everyone about how they could have done a bit more with the battles.

Jorah is a sexy mofo.

And I want to kidney punch Joffrey then cut up his smugly face.

Poor Dany. :(

Arya was ready to kick ass, but wasn't that scene told from her perspective? I can't remember. Maybe it sorta was, but it would have been nice to know what Ned was thinking. He was definitely relieved that Arya wasn't watching anymore. He didn't care about Sansa, that bitch.

CaptainWacky

I'm sure he did care about Sansa, there just wasn't anything he could do for her.

Did NON BOOK READERS recognise who the guy that covered Arya's eyes was?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
ARGHH, It's been so long since I read them, that I didn't recognize who the guy coving Arya's eyes was. WHO ISI T?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't know his name, but he left the Wall a few weeks ago iirc. A Stark?

Sir Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Aloysius Bastard I
The guy you're referring to is I believe Ned's bastard brother - I was trying to figure out who it was that grabbed his kid, but I didn't recognize him, and I believe this guy went NORTH from the wall on an expedition of some sort - why Jon Snow was thinking that hand the dog brought back might have been his uncles.

Sir Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Aloysius Bastard I
Finally got around to watching it last night, and agree with pretty much everyone about how they could have done a bit more with the battles.

Jorah is a sexy mofo.

And I want to kidney punch Joffrey then cut up his smugly face.

Poor Dany. :(

Arya was ready to kick ass, but wasn't that scene told from her perspective? I can't remember. Maybe it sorta was, but it would have been nice to know what Ned was thinking. He was definitely relieved that Arya wasn't watching anymore. He didn't care about Sansa, that bitch.

Joffrey - they casted him well. Just looking at him makes me want to punch him. Like if I were to see him on the street like a normal person, and he had that look on his face, it would infuriate me to the point of violence. I don't care if he's only 12 or whatever, I'd fuck that kid up and feel good about it afterwards.

Tisiphone

I thought that was the long-haired guy who was his uncle. Did Arya act as though she recognized him? Way too long since I read them.

Dan Harmon tweeted that since he hadn't read the books, he hadn't seen that ending coming and he was basically blown away OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Tisiphone

'Game of Thrones' actor stabbed in bar brawl - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAY.com

Turns out, Sean Bean's hero image is the real deal.
The "Game of Thrones" and "Lord of the Rings" tough guy reportedly came to the aid of his famous glamour model companion after a fellow pub reveler made some untoward comments on her topless posing past. While Bean's white knighthood was obviously admirable, it also proved rather dangerous, as a melee ensued and the actor was ultimately stabbed outside the London pub.
So what, exactly, happened? And just how is Bean doing now?
According to the Daily Mail, the incident kicked off when the 52-year-old Bean and 22-year-old Playboy bunny April Summers (real name Nadia Foster) went outside Camden's Hill Bar and Brasserie to smoke. A passerby spotted the duo (or at least one half of the duo) and began making lewd comments, leading Bean to confront the big talker.
All was seemingly well until the stranger returned later on, at which point a scuffle broke out, and Bean was reportedly punched in the face, causing a bruise over his eye, and stabbed in the arm with broken glass. Despite his wounds, Bean refused any medical attention and opted not to go to a hospital.
Instead, the actor accepted a first aid kit from the bar staff, then ordered another drink.
Guess all those tough guy roles haven't been too much of a stretch, after all.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I was just about to post that too. :) I was surprised to see his name trending worldwide since GoT isn't that popular, but wasn't expecting that story at all. He's really cool.

Hah! "Sharpe Knife-d"

CaptainWacky

He can only die in fiction, not real life.

Ned's brother is Benjen. He went north of The Wall a while ago and hasn't returned (but his horse did without a rider, then the bodies that turned into zombies were found.)

The guy with Arya is Yoren who went south from The Wall with Tyrion. He was at the inn when Tyrion was arrested and told Ned about it when he got to King's Landing (to find new recruit's for the Wall.) He thought Arya was a boy.

Tisiphone

Oh!! That's right. Dammit, I hate that I didn't recognize that.