Game Of Thrones 3.1 'Valar Dohaeris'

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SORRY.

After the Battle of Blackwater (which Robb and the gang weren't in, but just using as a time reference) Catelyn finds out that Robb married Jeyne (now it's Talisa and I can't fucking remember if they married last season, but I guess they did?), and she is, of course, pissed because she realizes the Frey's will be super pissed. So they have to figure out how to make the Frey's not so pissed, which is where Edmure's wedding comes into it, and leads to the RW.

The men from Harrenhal do join up with Robb prior to the RW, so I guess it really doesn't matter that Robb went to Harrenhal on the show. I really think they are just stretching that storyline out a bit so that Robb will be on the show more this season.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
What I found more peculiar was that Robb and Cat were among the first people to enter Harrenhal. Do the King and his mom usually walk in with the vanguard? How about checking the dead guys to see if they're really dead before getting close to them. It could've been a trap.

By the way,
Did you notice how Dany subtly gave away that she understood the salesman with the Unsullied?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I thought Dany might understand what was being said. She is sneaky!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
For that matter, what is whatserface Stark still doing in King's Landing? Didn't big ugly take her away during the battle? I am so confused.

Sansa was still in King's Landing in last season's finale. She didn't go with Sandor.

Where's Strong Balwas? Wasn't he supposed to be somewhere in there?

You know who Strong Belwas is but you don't know Sansa's name?

Robb really should not have been at Harrenhal, he should be heading to the Twins.

It's because they changed things last season. In book two, Roose Bolton takes Harrenhal from the Mountain (with help from Arya and her "Weasel Soup.") They changed that in the show so Gregor still had Harrenhal at the end of the seaosn. So they had to show Robb giving Harrenhal to Roose this week. And introduce Qyburn (still should have been Ian McDiarmid!)

Anyway, good episode! Yeah it was all set-up but I think people should be used to that from GOT by now!

Ghost saving Sam did make sense since Sam's the only other person Ghost gets on with.

I liked Margaery being like Princess Diana only hotter and the way Joffrey was trying to impress her by being mean to his mum.

I'm glad they brought Salladhor San back!

I liked Mance but I kind of prefered how in the book he was just a guy sitting there playing the lute. Also missed Dalla and Val.

The Tyrion/Tywin scene was definitely the acting highlight.

I don't know if I like Littlefinger being so unsubtle but I guess tv shows and books are different! Also when he told Sansa that Arya was still alive was that supposed to mean he had recognised Arya when he saw her in Harrenhal!? Or was he just trying to give Sansa false hope?

I like Dany's new dress and enjoyed the scene with the slaver. Missandei is certainly different from book Missandei in a couple of key places (HER BREASTS.)

I WONDER IF EVERYONE REMEMBERED WHO BARRISTAN SELMY IS, EH.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I REMEMBERED MR SEXY SELMY.

ALSO, I liked how Cersei referenced Tyrion losing his nose by saying it was a rumor. Actually I'm glad they didn't cut his nose off, because I find him ATTRACTIVE.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Although him not losing his nose does make him seem like a whiny bitch for complaining about no visits from daddy. Loved that scene between Tyrion and Tywin, though. Poor guy...

Did Dany understand what the slaver was saying? There were a few looks here and there which made it seem as though she might reveal she knew what he called her after she closes the deal and doesn't have to be polite anymore.

I'm pretty sure Littlefinger did recognise Arya last season. There was a look of surprise he gave when he saw her and his comments to Sansa seem to back that up.

Loved the giant, direwolf and dragon effects, as well as the always excellent set extensions. They really don't seem to spare any expense.

Good episode, but seemed very short despite the actual running time. Always a good sign.

CaptainWacky

Regarding Dany...

Yes, she could understand him. I thought this was made obvious in the episode with the look she was giving but as others didn't notice it's likely I was just remembering from the book that she could understand him.

ANOTHER THING I REMEMBERED I loved how Joffrey could barely bring himself to say the word "charity".

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS SAID

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
You know who Strong Belwas is but you don't know Sansa's name?

Strong Belwas is memorable. Sansa is annoying and I want her character to befall some gruesome fate, like Littlefinger pressing her into being a whore.

Which could very well happen after the Red Wedding, because she'll be the only living Stark still in major circulation. Since it didn't happen in the books, we won't see her get used as a cum rag by Joffrey.

It's because they changed things last season. In book two, Roose Bolton takes Harrenhal from the Mountain (with help from Arya and her "Weasel Soup.") They changed that in the show so Gregor still had Harrenhal at the end of the seaosn. So they had to show Robb giving Harrenhal to Roose this week. And introduce Qyburn (still should have been Ian McDiarmid!)

Oh, I get it now. I wasn't aware that dude was Roose. Also, why are there two characters with similar names who are equally peripheral? Roose and Rose?

Missandei is certainly different from book Missandei in a couple of key places (HER BREASTS.)

Did you see the pic I posted in MC?

I WONDER IF EVERYONE REMEMBERED WHO BARRISTAN SELMY IS, EH.

I DID!

CaptainWacky

You seem to have issues with female characters. I don't think being repeatedly raped is a worthy punishment for being "annoying."

And I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, has confused Roose and "Rose" (Ros?)

CaptainWacky

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Regarding Dany...

Yes, she could understand him. I thought this was made obvious in the episode with the look she was giving but as others didn't notice it's likely I was just remembering from the book that she could understand him.

Ah. I saw looks here and there but there was nothing explicit. Maybe the army's first task will be to cut off his nipples.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
You seem to have issues with female characters. I don't think being repeatedly raped is a worthy punishment for being "annoying."

I don't like Sansa. I do like Cersei, Arya, Dany, Cat, Shae, Brienne, and Margaery. They're all great characters. Still on the fence about Melisandre. She could turn out to be one of the worst or best female leads. Then there's Ygritte... omgfuckinghotredheadIwanttobang!

I can't wait for Ygritte's topless scene in a few episodes.

And I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, has confused Roose and "Rose" (Ros?)

Depends on the pronunciation. Between Dinklage's Eddie Izzard-inspired (not kidding Dinklage actually said this) accent and the weird accent Shae has, nobody pronounces things the same way twice. Like I said, I didn't even realize that guy was Roose. I thought Harrenhal was given to Roose by Tywin. Hence all the confusion.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I also confuse the Clegane brothers A LOT. Sandor is the Hound and Gregor was the guy who had better casting?

CaptainWacky

Sandor is the Hound, Gregor is the guy who was well cast in season one then played by some skinny guy in season two when the original guy left to be edited out of The Hobbit.

Also can't believe I didn't post this before.

[YOUTUBE]2fPgIIB67bw[/YOUTUBE]

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I'll see your 90's GoT vid and raise you an intro with lyrics.

[YOUTUBE]25KABvPbq-U[/YOUTUBE]

CaptainWacky

You know you've made it when you're the front cover of THE RADIO TIMES.