Game Of Thrones 3.3 'Walk Of Punishment'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Tyrion shoulders new responsibilities. Jon is taken to the Fist of the First Men. Daenerys meets with the slavers. Jaime strikes a deal with his captors.

Should be good!

Seph

Retired Account
I'm waiting till the last episode is out then watching the whole season in one go.

Seph

Retired Account
How does that make me a pansy, I just like binge watching series's

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Because real men wait seven days between episodes!

Please disregard the fact that I have watched numerous series straight through while getting buzzed on a weekend. Those didn't count.

Seph

Retired Account
OK Conch what ever you say you whacked out ho.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
GOD DAMNED BEAR AND THE MAIDEN FAIR!!!

THE MUSIC AND SONGS OF THE BOOK DO NOT ADD TO THE FLAVOR. THEY ARE ANNOYING OUTSIDE OF THE BOOKS.

Just like singing in LotR or The Hobbit, or any other fantasy series or movie, it should be LEFT THE FUCK OUT! Why? Well, only MAYBE 5% of your viewing audience gets the reference. The rest of society goes, "holy shit, that song sucks, why are they singing this crap outside of a bar or a battle?"

Frankly, I'm only pissed because the song probably only made it onto the show because SOME FANGEEKS IN SOME INTERNET FORUM AMUSED A WRITER!

I shouldn't be this upset about the internet influencing pop culture, but ever since that line in X3 "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" I have had a deep-seated hatred for memes that crossover into the canon. Bear and the Maiden Fair is one of them.

Not only that, but they have some crappy folk singer perform the song... ONLY FUCKING SECONDS AFTER JAIME GETS HIS HAND LOPPED OFF! Way to ruin the dramatic tension you guys built. "I know, we'll do a lot of suspenseful stuff with Jaime and Brienne only to end it on a crappy folk singer playing a crappy song from the book." Seriously, fuck the producers.

BLAH!

Otherwise, good episode.
-Theon is getting a good fucking with.
-Fun moments had with Bronn, Tyrion, and Pod.
-Dany shows some fortitude then ruins it with the "girl power" line which I could barely hear over Missandei's CLEAVAGE.
-WTF is with Stannis and why is he such a pussy-whipped sissy?
-Arya and Hot Pie have a steamy love scene.
-There's a funeral or something and Robb shows that he has the balls to lead while Cat does her depressed crazy bitch thing.
-SOMEONE IS GONNA CLIMB THE WALL AND THERE'S GONNA BE A FIRE!
-and not one Joffrey is a psycho scene (THANK THE GODS)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The Blackfish is awesome, I'd forgotten how terrible Edmure was. The show needs more Blackfish.

I loved all the little bits of this episode, but it's fucking annoying how they leave every scene as soon as it gets interesting. I remember being annoyed by A Dance with Dragons for doing the same thing.

POOR JAIME!

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I liked the song. It adds colour and depth to the world even if you might not be listening to every lyric. It's called "world building" (it's also why they work in The Hobbit and LotR).

Good episode.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
^ There's a difference in it being world-building and meme forcing. Having the soldiers sing the song in the show: world-building. Ending a perfectly good scene with a crappy singer singing the same song: meme forcing.

Personally, I like songs and folklore stuff in fantasy things. I just think they work better in the books than on-screen.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
"Meme-forcing" is something you're bringing to it, not the show. I have absolutely no idea if the song is from the books or from the writers or from the internet - it doesn't matter, I couldn't tell. Which means it worked.

They sang a song, they played a different version of it in the credits. They did it last year and it was fine. If you dislike something for no other reason than it's "from the internet" then you have other things to worry about.

CaptainWacky

The shot of the dead horses was really cool. It's a shame Jon's part was only about a minute or two again but he should get some stuff soon.

Some people will probably hate the Tyrion/Pod whorehouse part, but meh I liked it. Some light relief! And it's good to show that Tyrion is still a man of the people and show his friendship group.

So many Hot Pie feels. I want a wolf loaf.

Dany part was good and the big Harpy statue looked amazeballs.

I love The Beard And The Maiden Fair.

Edmure is basically series one Blackadder. I liked that they showed Robb being strategic. Talisa was good in the scene with the Lannister kids.

Theon's bum?

I liked the ending. Made a shame from the brooding sad music (which is good too!) And the audience might not really have much sympathy with Jaime at this point anyway. Sure he saved Brienne this week, but that doesn't really make up for all the bad things he's done. It's kind of appropriate to have almost celebatory music.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I initially felt sorry for Jaime before suddenly facepalming as I remembered little Bran.

Thought the music at the end was a bit of an abrupt switch of genres, but I liked the singing in the actual episode.

The comical bits were totes hilar, but there was a little too much of it for my liking. Some shows can deftly move from a jokey scene about a boy getting free sex from hookers, to a scene where a guy is about to be ass raped only for his attacker to be arrowed in the face. I don't think GoT is one of these shows. And I suppose I'm worried that all Tyrion scenes are expected to be funny now.

Glad we've seen the last of the fat kid. His acting was cringe.

Dany's actually gonna sell a dragon?! SMH!!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think the Khaleesi knows what she is doing!

CaptainWacky

I thought Hot Pie's acting in his final scene was pretty touching. When he thought it was called "Winterhell." Of course Maisie Williams was the one who made it really great, AS USUAL.

I don't think you should be worrying about all of Tyrion's scenes being comedy from now on (not a spoiler, you've watched long enough to know this by now I think!)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
"Meme-forcing" is something you're bringing to it, not the show. I have absolutely no idea if the song is from the books or from the writers or from the internet - it doesn't matter, I couldn't tell. Which means it worked.

They sang a song, they played a different version of it in the credits. They did it last year and it was fine. If you dislike something for no other reason than it's "from the internet" then you have other things to worry about.

It's more the way they did it.

Anyway, the song is in the book, which was picked up by a bunch of obsessed fans of the book, and has circulated around the interwebs as a meme for at least two years now. It's terribly unfunny and made an ok minstrel's song annoying to hear. I knew it was going to be aired this season, but that didn't bother me all that much. I even chortled a bit as the soldiers broke out in tune. I was actually somewhat satisfied with how it was done. Then they basically smash the window with the exit music.

This episode had plenty of comic relief and playing this song as the closing credits rolled was not necessary. It was overkill of mass proportions and kinda ruined a really great scene.

The final scene and Jaime's reaction to his hand being removed deserved some digestion. This scene, where Jaime gets his hand cut off, was a pivotal moment in his character's arc. It deserved a bit more solemnity. I mean, why spend two episodes playing Jaime as a person who you can care about, if you end his be-handing with a jaunty tune? As Fuddlemiff pointed out upthread, it was as if the writers wanted to force the audience to celebrate this moment.

Basically, because of his dismemberment Jaime turns his life around, trains with his left hand, and becomes twice the man he ever was and is a really, really cool character to follow. Especially his relationship with Brienne.

Makes me wish that Ron Moore was producing instead of Benioff. He would've said, "Oh, you want me to end an episode with a horrifying act to one of the main characters, but make it a happy thing? How about instead of Brienne not getting raped, we make Jaime rape her with his bloody stump and cut away right as he and Brienne are sobbing like children with some dirge-like music playing. That should cheer up the fans who want everything explained for them."

Instead, we have the producers going, "hey mega-super-fans, that are a tiny percentage of our viewers, we found that thing you like so much on the internet and made it downloadable on iTunes. Aren't you so happy we are super-fans too? LOVE US! MOMMY DIDN'T LOVE US ENOUGH!"

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
You have issues.

Makes me wish that Ron Moore was producing instead of Benioff. He would've said, "Oh, you want me to end an episode with a horrifying act to one of the main characters, but make it a happy thing? How about instead of Brienne not getting raped, we make Jaime rape her with his bloody stump and cut away right as he and Brienne are sobbing like children with some dirge-like music playing. That should cheer up the fans who want everything explained for them."

And I don't think you've ever watched a Ron Moore show.

CaptainWacky

Here is the actual reason for the choice of the end song.

“It’s such a shocking ending and when we read the scene in the books it was so shocking to us,” Weiss says. “To really hammer home the shock of that moment you need something unexpected. There’s no version of a traditional score that would keep you as off balance as we wanted that scene to leaving you feeling.”

“I can’t imagine having that conversation with Ramin [Djawadi] our composer — ‘Now we need the Jaime-gets-his-hand-chopped-off music,’” adds Benioff. who made his directorial debut with this episode. “What we always loved in An American Werewolf in London, we see our hero shot and killed and then his lover runs to embrace his dead body — it’s a sad ending — but then we cut to black and it’s [the bouncy 1961 Marcell's hit] ‘Blue Moon.’ And that jarring juxtaposition was fantastic.”

Also the episode was the highest rated ever with 4.72 million watching the first airing. Posibbly due to wanting to hear The Bear And The Maiden Fair.