"Girl" horror flicks vs. "Guy" horror flicks.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
See the 1978 original, the new one sucks for all the same reasons we stated earlier.

I disagree with this. The first one preaches, although the first 8 minutes ROCK AND ROLL.

dawn-of-the-dead-head-explosion.jpg

The second one has Ving Rhames and no movie with him in it can be bad. Fast zombies, apocalyptic hopelessness and GREAT gore. ZOMBIE DEAD BABY. OMG!

Dawn-of-the-dead-2004-zombies-2.jpg

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Of course the first DotD preaches, that was the point. You think Night of the Living Dead didn't preach?

Mindless gore is just that,and is very forgettable because of it. The best movies go places you didn't expect them to, and make you ponder thoughts you didn't mean to ponder. Ving Rhames or no, the new Dof the D had NONE of the resonance of the first Dawn effort, and even the gore was unimaginative. bleagh..

Donovan

beer, I want beer
And aside from 28 Days Later, fast zombie movies suck for the most part. There is a certain rhythm to slow zombie movies, a relentless pressure that the zombies at first seem easy enough to escape, but that the sheer overwhelming numbers of them eventually wear you down. Whether you think fast zombies are scarier or not, giving them that adaptation eliminates the key suspense aspect in favor of the cheap scare jump-out-of-the-bushes stuff most crappy movies rely on.

Part of the charm of DoftheD 1978 was the large middle section when they're safe in the mall and almost giddy with their fun times. There is a sense of impending doom in the audience, knowledge that these guys are headed for a fall, but you are helpless to stop it as the suspense just ratchets up and up and up until the inevitable. By the time the bikers break in for the bloody climax/third act, the audience is so wired up and jumpy every scare is heightened into terror.

The new one just has nothing to match this, as the scares come pretty steady and mundane throughout the film. Even the "surprise" ending was completely expected. No lull means no suspense. Filmmakers on many levels have forgotten this...

Cacophony

lkjewro23piqjur2oijkslfaw e
DON'T MAKE ME NEG YOU DONO >=(

28 DAYS LATER DID NOT HAVE ZOMBIES IN IT!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Zombie Genre. That would include any movie with ravening hordes of former humans whose main purpose is to kill and/ or eat other humans. It also would include the Legend movie we were talking about, any of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers and some would even say Terminator because of the whole relentless factor and human appearance. You could make a case...the catalyst for zombiefying is unimportant, just the nature of the monster is what defines the genre.

Seph

Retired Account
28 days later was afull, reli didnt like that movie or she shitqual, sorry sequel.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
How the hell did I miss this thread?

Anyways, I'm a chick, but I'm all about the gore and blood and chicks getting raped by trees and dudes with no limbs climbing after me on a pole to eat me. I loathe films like Dark Water and the Ring, because they are boring as shit and there's no action at all. True, psychological horror like The Sentinel and Audition (although it's got some great moments) are faves of mine, I'll take Suspiria and Evil Dead over Silence of the Lambs anyday.

Seph

Retired Account
evil_1_640w.jpg

Ash_black_crbr_cl.jpg

519evildeadashtee_2.gif

evildead2.jpg

me too tisi...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Please note I am not trying to make generalizations about movie watchers, but about the movies themselves. There is a distinct difference in the writing of scary movies aimed at a male audience than those aimed at a diverse or female audience, that's what I was pondering.

And Dark water was awful, but I think that was more due to pacing and bad writing than gender specific notions.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
There was a pretty good article in Entertainment Weekly a couple of months ago, basically arguing that all horror movies are aimed at women, since they make up about 70% of the horror audience these days. I should say that if a movie wants to be successful, it should be aimed at women. The theory is that men won't go and see a horror movie on their own, but they'll go if their woman wants to see it. I agree with this 100%, I have zero interest in seeing horror movies, but if LG wants to go, I'll take her.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I'd only agree with the assessment that current "Horror" movies are made for women because only the ones aimed at women are still trying to be scary. male-centric horror movies have drifted toward superhero action, blood and guts and shit blowing up and very little if any actual scaring being done. I call it video game syndrome, basically a whole generation of writers raised on video games and sequential, level-up style storytelling so when they go to write a movie that's what comes through. Lots of quick cuts and bright flashes and explosions, very little suspense or actual plotting, just sequentially bigger bad guys and guns.

Cacophony

What would D9 be, then?

I'm just curious, because I saw it as a sci-fi flick, but there are aspects of horror and suspense and action in it too.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
What would D9 be, then?

I'm just curious, because I saw it as a sci-fi flick, but there are aspects of horror and suspense and action in it too.
I have to reserve comment until I see it, I havent had a chance to yet.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
28 Days Later wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it twice. 28 Weeks Later is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long ass time. My god it sucked so badly it hurt.

Cacophony

But it had Begbie :(

Seph

Retired Account
what about paranormal activity i liked that.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
28 Days Later wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it twice. 28 Weeks Later is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long ass time. My god it sucked so badly it hurt.

Exactly. Even Begbie couldn't save that one...

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
^Hell, the hotness that is Jeremy Renner couldn't keep me tuned in.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
D9 is sci-fi. The 28 X Later series didn't have traditional undead zombies. They were zombies nonetheless: mindless, infected humans, no sense of self-preservation, and a need to feed on human flesh. Return of the Living Dead didn't have traditional zombies, either. They could carry a conversation. Romero's zombies were really the only true zombies. We won't discuss Bub from Day of the Dead.

Here's a question. What category do these films fall into: The Birds, Psycho (original), and Death Proof? Suspense, Horror, Sci-Fi?

More signs that recent Horror films are aimed at women: Twilight. I rest my case.

My girlfriend is very adamant about the fact that if we watch a horror film, I have to make sure to go to bed at the same time as her.