Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guns are boring.

headspace said:
We've only had one or two school massacres, as opposed to your numbers.
That is why I am home schooling my children. At least until they are old enough to handle a gun.

crimerate.gif

Source: International comparisons of criminal justice statistics 2001

^^"Common Sense for Drug Policy.org"? And why not try to find us some data from '01-'05?

In the mean time, here's a breakdown of Annual Causes of Death In The United States. The Top 3? Tobacco, Alcohol, and -- hold your breath now, here it comes -- adverse reactions to prescription medications. Homicide comes in at number 5. But! That's not the most impressive part! The most impressive part is that the latest information CSDP.org tallied as part of this finding is four years out of date. Yep -- they're a good source, huh?

Common Sense for Drug Policy.org

I don't understand. What are you saying?

And why not try to find us some data from '01-'05?

You might be able to find more recent years, but accurate statistics usually aren't compiled until a few years after the fact. This report goes through 2001, but was published in late 2003. You might be able to find data through 2003 published this year, but you won't find anything for 2005.

WordInterrupted said:
I don't understand. What are you saying?

I'm saying, "Common Sense for Drug Policy.org?" Pay attention.

You might be able to find more recent years, but accurate statistics usually aren't compiled until a few years after the fact. This report goes through 2001, but was published in late 2003. You might be able to find data through 2003 published this year, but you won't find anything for 2005.

Well, I think we can aim for something after 2001, can't we.

I'm saying, "Common Sense for Drug Policy.org?" Pay attention.

What about it? Why do you bring it up?

Well, I think we can aim for something after 2001, can't we.

No. 2001 is a good refrence point for social science data. Only people who are ignorant of how the social sciences work think you can get data up to the moment.

This data proves my point that Britain has much more effective policies for dealing with crime than the U.S. I know that's not the result you want, but facts are facts. As usual, my facts destroy your fantasy.

WordInterrupted said:
What about it? Why do you bring it up?

You don't happen to think that maybe a table of crime statistics with no reference as to who gathered the data, or how this was done, is just the slightest bit skimpy?

No. 2001 is a good refrence point for social science data. Only people who are ignorant of how the social sciences work think you can get data up to the moment.

"Social Sciences"... bit like "military intelligence," that one. It also conveniently omits four years of data which reflect policy change and corrolary effects from 2001 onward.

This data proves my point that Britain has much more effective policies for dealing with crime than the U.S.

But it doesn't prove specifically that firearms ownership policy is among the policies that are working.

I know that's not the result you want, but facts are facts.

Facts are facts, certainly. But are those figures facts? Since we don't know where, how or by whom they were originated, that's an open question.

As usual, my facts destroy your fantasy.

*throws WordInterrupted out the castle window*

You don't happen to think that maybe a table of crime statistics with no reference as to who gathered the data, or how this was done, is just the slightest bit skimpy?

Facts are facts, certainly. But are those figures facts? Since we don't know where, how or by whom they were originated, that's an open question.

The report provides all of that information. It was published by the Home Office of the British government, and it was based on police reports:

homeoffice.gif

Here's even more information about the department within the Home Office that prepared the report:

mission_statement.gif

As usual, you make incorrect claims without knowing the facts, and I blow your fantasy world apart by pointing the facts out to you.

WordInterrupted said:
The report provides all of that information. It was published by the Home Office of the British government, and it was based on police reports:

homeoffice.gif

Here's even more information about the department within the Home Office that prepared the report:

mission_statement.gif

Well, good. Now, it's still the case, though, that none of that addresses the specific causal relationship between individual policies and their observed effects.

As usual, you make incorrect claims without knowing the facts, and I blow your fantasy world apart by pointing the facts out to you.

As usual, you misrepresent questions as claims and ascribe to me a position which I have not taken.

*looks at Wordin lying on the courtyard floor, then throws chamberpot out the castle window*

Now, it's still the case, though, that none of that addresses the specific causal relationship between individual policies and their observed effects.

What? This data isn't intended to show any causal relationships whatsoever. It shows that the U.S. has a significantly higher crime rate than most other Western nations. Our current approach to crime prevention is a failure.

As usual, you misrepresent questions as claims and ascribe to me a position which I have not taken.

See, this is a perfect example of how you try to weasel out of arguments. The information about who did the report was right there on the very first page of the document. If you'd tried to look at all, you would have found it. But you didn't even try to get the facts. You just wailed about not knowing and waited for me to spoon feed you the information.

WordInterrupted said:
What? This data isn't intended to show any causal relationships whatsoever. It shows that the U.S. has a significantly higher crime rate than most other Western nations. Our current approach to crime prevention is a failure.

And?

See, this is a perfect example of how you try to weasel out of arguments.

I'm not "weaseling out" of anything, Fauntleroy. I simply wasn't taking the position you wanted to argue against.

The information about who did the report was right there on the very first page of the document.

Which, interestingly, wasn't showing up for me, which is why I asked you for a source. I also asked you for a source because you're notorious for taking sourced information out of its intended context in order to skew sources in your favor and then make leaps of logic from them. Like citing very, very general homicide statistics in a discussion of firearms-related homicide and the relative success or failure of policies specifically geared to reduce that particular kind of homicide. For example.

Which, interestingly, wasn't showing up for me, which is why I asked you for a source. I also asked you for a source because you're notorious for taking sourced information out of its intended context in order to skew sources in your favor and then make leaps of logic from them. Like citing very, very general homicide statistics in a discussion of firearms-related homicide and the relative success or failure of policies specifically geared to reduce that particular kind of homicide. For example.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. has fewer gun-related homicides per-capita than England?

WordInterrupted said:
Are you suggesting that the U.S. has fewer gun-related homicides per-capita than England?

No, I'm stating right out in the open that the information you cited doesn't explicitly indicate that.

Trust me, you won't. Getting him to follow commands is like trying to teach a retard russian. Really hard and usually a failure. Like this one time we were in bed and.........erm nevermind