HELL

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Only if you believe in a firey hell, given that it's a pagan concept with no actual biblical basis.

Milton is actually responsible for a lot of what people consider "hell" these days.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Milton is actually responsible for a lot of what people consider "hell" these days.

Yeah fuck that Milton Bradley for making Chutes and Ladder. Oh and fuck you very much for Candy Land. I'm color blind you idiot! How am I supposed to get around the board now, asshole!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Dante's Inferno

I burned the Milton book because it was kind of lame.

I thought both were decent books for what they intended to do, but the Milton book did a much better job at juxtaposing the fall of man with the fall of the devil. In Dante there wasn't a whole lot of questioning of the way of things; it was more a travelogue of Hell and an excuse to take potshots at political enemies than a philosophical work. Meanwhile, Milton actually spent the better part of his work making the Devil a sympathetic character before turning the tables on us by showing that Satan wasn't ever anything but a small and rapidly shrinking creature whose fate was sealed by his own character (or lack of it).

Basically, Milton trolls the shit out of his readers for fully half the book...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Dante's Hell is the popular descending circles we see in fantasy works and was both the earlier work and more graphically described.

However, the version I refer to is the void/lake of fire/ full of demons version ,most commonly thought of by practicing Xtians. That one is Milton.

Neither version comes from the Bible, which really didn't address the concept of Hell at all...

parkmice

what
Milton tried to make it all about Christ in the end. I felt that was pandering for the sake of feel good christian marketing/acceptability. What was interesting about Dante is it ends with the queen of heaven...at least the illustrated Dore version. Dante was ultimately transcendent while Milton caved to dogma.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Milton tried to make it all about Christ in the end. I felt that was pandering for the sake of feel good christian marketing/acceptability. What was interesting about Dante is it ends with the queen of heaven...at least the illustrated Dore version. Dante was ultimately transcendent while Milton caved to dogma.

Paradise Regained was about Christ and his role in redemption. The description of Hell is from "Lost" which doesn't address Christ at all. And like all religious works of that period, Milton's stuff displays a certain reverence for religious ideas. People in those times tended to get dead for heresy.

As for pandering, Dante's addition of current (to his time) local politicians and power brokers as the worst of the sinners receiving the worst of punishments, that in itself is pandering to the dissatisfaction of the common people.

All literary works of all time periods speak to a specific target audience, pandering to the views expressed by the target group. It's a matter of personal choice whether you as a reader pick one group or the other to identify with.

Of course, I believe implicitly that you are in possession of a Dore edition of Inferno about as much as I believe you came up with your assessment without googling and copy-pasting some actual critic's take on it...

OS@M@

I will fight hell! I will fight Gagh too!

Bickendan

Shifty sumbitch
^Shut up, dumbass.

OS@M@

parkmice

what
Paradise Regained was about Christ and his role in redemption. The description of Hell is from "Lost" which doesn't address Christ at all. And like all religious works of that period, Milton's stuff displays a certain reverence for religious ideas. People in those times tended to get dead for heresy.

As for pandering, Dante's addition of current (to his time) local politicians and power brokers as the worst of the sinners receiving the worst of punishments, that in itself is pandering to the dissatisfaction of the common people.

All literary works of all time periods speak to a specific target audience, pandering to the views expressed by the target group. It's a matter of personal choice whether you as a reader pick one group or the other to identify with.

Of course, I believe implicitly that you are in possession of a Dore edition of Inferno about as much as I believe you came up with your assessment without googling and copy-pasting some actual critic's take on it...

I agree with your assessment of pandering to a target group according to the time, but I don't really give a shit because I'm still alive and demand timeless literature.

Dante goes past Christ and God to the QUEEN. I find that aspect amazing!

What, you want to quiz me on the Dore version which I've had forever. You can get it at Bud Plant's comic art if that catalogue still exists.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I agree with your assessment of pandering to a target group according to the time, but I don't really give a shit because I'm still alive and demand timeless literature.

Dante goes past Christ and God to the QUEEN. I find that aspect amazing!

What, you want to quiz me on the Dore version which I've had forever. You can get it at Bud Plant's comic art if that catalogue still exists.

I thought you were pretending to have an original. I'll pass on the quiz, I think we've done quite enough damage to this board already...