How Catholics view atheism

There's no solid proof that there is a God. B)

There's no solid proof that there isn't a God. B)

There's no solid proof the universe isn't a marble on someone else's hand B)

Dark_Temptation said:
There's no solid proof that there is a God. B)

There's no solid proof that there isn't a God. B)

There's no solid proof the universe isn't a marble on someone else's hand B)

Right, but the problem is that you can't logically accept the existence of something just because there's no proof that it isn't. You can still accept it, sure, but not logically. If you had to prove something wasn't true in order for it to not be considered a fact, everybody who's been diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic would suddenly have to be considered completely sane.

Catholics view atheism as sinful.

I think that Christians who bitch about religion like to dice Christianity up into little groups. Because Protestantism or Reformism views Atheism less harshly, huh?

I prefer Philosophy.
contemplating God, while a fun hobby, doesn't do anything.
Contemplating the Hows and Whys of the human condition, THAT, I can do something with.

The Question said:
Actually, I believe those are referred to as pantheistic. You're referring to "nature religions", yes?
As far as nontheistic, some varieties of Buddhist come to mind.
Well, there are, really, although I agree that some additions are needed. For example, that first group of folks you describe would more accurately be known as antitheists.
Myself, I try to use the terms the following ways:

Agnostic: Asks self the question: "Does God exist?" Answers "I'm not sure."
Atheistic: Asks self the question: "Does God exist?" Answers "No."
Nontheistic: Would normally not ask self above question.

TJHairball said:
As far as nontheistic, some varieties of Buddhist come to mind.Myself, I try to use the terms the following ways:

Agnostic: Asks self the question: "Does God exist?" Answers "I'm not sure."
Atheistic: Asks self the question: "Does God exist?" Answers "No."
Nontheistic: Would normally not ask self above question.

See, in my opinion, the last two are interchangeable, the seperation between the two going something like this:

Atheist: Would normally not ask self above question; however, if asked, "Does God exist?" answers, "No."

And with the aforementioned antitheist, it would be simply, "Goes around looking for theists so he can insist God doesn't exist." lol

Sigh.

It's simple, people.

Come to God with an open, honest desire to receive Him in your heart, and He will enter.

Do not seek Him out, He will not be there.

It's simple.

You can go around your mental circles all you want, but that won't change the fact that you have to want Him in your life.

Friday said:
Sigh.

It's simple, people.

Come to God with an open, honest desire to receive Him in your heart, and He will enter.

It's simple.

You can go around your mental circles all you want, but that won't change the fact that you have to want Him in your life.
You don't see the problem with that reasoning?

Friday said:
Sigh.

It's simple, people.

It's simple.

One of the problems I have with Christianity is that they say the same thing as you just did, the god part.
I say Ok. Then they start talking as If i now believe in Jesus.
"Wait! Hold on! You said nothing about Jesus."
To me Jesus and god are seperateI ideas.
I will NOT follow in Jesus's footsteps! Because we don't have the same Gait!

I went looking for God once. I looked, and looked, from one end of the earth to the other. Then my feet started to hurt, so I made up my mind right then and there that my left thumb is God.

Prove it isn't.

Blindgroping said:
If He is all about infinite love, would it matter?
Could it be that God is knocking at your door, but you refuse to answer?

He will not knock down that door. He is waiting for you to make the choice to open it.

Back