I'm captioning the Michael Jackson service

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Oh...and Jermaine was fantastic. Both he and Marlon were bleeding emotions the entire night and to get up and do a rendition of Smile like that was truly something.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
I would make a comment about the man himself being a circus, but I don't think that will be helpful at this point.

I'm actually being nice and limiting my comments to the topic in TP. No need to derail other topics.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
What I saw of it I thought was very good. The personal accounts were interesting and the performances were pulled off as well as you'd expect from professionals. I wish I'd been able to see all of it.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I'm glad they didnt turn it into some shallow, self-serving gala.
His daughter broke my heart though.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I saw the whole thing on CNN (flipping other channels as well to see how they were covering it). I also thought it was very dignified, and amazingly restrained and classy, compared to what I was expecting it to be.

Al Sharpton's speech was amazing, and I can't stand the man. Brooke Shields was lovely and genuine. I loved Magic Johnson's KFC story. And all the music was great.

My sister and I are both suspicious that the family probably left Michael to be buried at Forest Lawn, and took a dummy casket to the Staples Center. I wouldn't blame them. Heck, I would have done it, who knows what crazies could have jumped out the crowd in the arena. But this is just my speculation, I haven't heard any other conspiracy theories like this. Of course, I haven't been on the internet much today...

It didn't really hit me that he's gone until I sat through the service.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Hopefully they'll re-broadcast it or I'll be able to watch it online. Sounds like I missed a good funeral.

It was the #1 excuse today why people couldn't do our surveys. I was surprised some old woman actually stopped watching it for a few minutes to take a survey.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't the funeral it was the memorial. It shouldn't be hard to find a repeat of it considering the scale and importance of the event.

I wouldn't be surprised if your theory is correct, Eggs. But either way it was surreal having the casket there while artists banged out his tunes.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Dude... I do like you. But if you have nothing nice to say then piss off to TP to convey your grievances with your clear dislike with the man because I'm not in the mood.

But I am being nice. You should see me when I'm mean. :becky:

Fine. I'll behave.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It's on the BBC Iplayer, so I'm sure it's on other online catch-up services.

The thought about the coffin makes a lot of sense. I thought it odd that there was no security around it considering it was within fairly easy reach of some of the audience (probably the VIP ones, but still some crazies among them).

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
True. Larry King and Levar Burton were only a couple of rows behind the family.