In Which I Cause WF To Strangle Itself TO DEATH.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Analcalgon has a huge boner in another forum for pointing out any Twitter factoid that implies Seattle is not, in fact, dying. To which, I reply: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deadcatbounce.asp And also (also wik): https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...t-in-droves-in-2020-though-they-didnt-go-far/

To recap: The only people moving to Seattle are people trapped in even shittier dystopias like NYC and 'Frisco. And while folks are trying to stay close, they are irrefutably fleeing the dingbat loopy people running the city right now. :marathon:

The Question

Eternal
Lefties don't learn. Not sure whether it's incapacity or disinclination, but they add up to the same thing. They just fail until they are incapable of everything including further failure. That's what dogma does to ya.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Indeed. I was pondering this earlier. Sort of the Kirk, short-circuiting the super computer thing. A Leftie would rather gleefully stuff themself into a woodchipper than admit Biden was a terrible President.

The Question

Eternal
Analcalgon
1bc1114b5b7aa5bb.jpg

Oerdin

In Seattle downtown office space has ann80% vacancy rate. It is true. Only 20% is occupied. Business owners are begging for city officials to actually do their jobs but they never do.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Lefties don't learn. Not sure whether it's incapacity or disinclination, but they add up to the same thing. They just fail until they are incapable of everything including further failure. That's what dogma does to ya.
That's one of the bits of "Atlas Shrugged" that always stretches my credibility when I read it--how the "looters and moochers" are running the world into the ground. But every time one of the noble heroes tries to tell them they're making a terrible mistake, they always go "SHUT UP! WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING." Even when it gets to the bitter end and they ask to be told what to do and someone will tell them and they'll go "We couldn't possibly do that."

It's maddening and frustrating and completely impossible to believe that the characters would act that way if they didn't have to in order to advance Rand's thesis.

Except it is EXACTLY the way people like the denizens of Wordforge act EVERY DAY IRL.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Ayn Rand was an objectivist, not a leftist.

The Question

Eternal
Yep. And she described them perfectly.

There's this notion, absurd for its apparent popularity, that people "outgrow" Objectivism. Perhaps what they outgrow is the childish "belief" in Objectivism. And grow beyond that childish belief into an empirically supported understanding of the validity of Objectivism.

A priori acceptance of a proposition, as distinct from a posteriori experience of a truth.

Of course, some of them simply move from that belief to other, more ridiculous and destructive beliefs.

Last edited:

DevilMan

Still in Mom's basement
Crackly dry I'm thinking.

jack

I used to attend her lectures in Boston with my mom when I was little.

I read Atlas Shrugged in 3rd grade with comprehension.

I agree she's quite "dry". She was quite the potsmoker and partier in her day from what I understand.

The Question

Eternal
Reading Ayn Rand was pretty dry when I was into that. I'd imagine she was pretty dry in other ways as well.
Like a dust storm from every sneeze?

Yeah, it'd figure.

Usually when anyone writes allegory, it's best not to mistake it as genuine fiction; it's a sermon delivered through hypothetical example.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I used to attend her lectures in Boston with my mom when I was little.

I read Atlas Shrugged in 3rd grade with comprehension.

I agree she's quite "dry". She was quite the potsmoker and partier in her day from what I understand.
I'll try to explain a little. I first read Atlas Shrugged as an assignment in 8th or 9th grade, so I was 13 or 14 years old and I thought it was pretty boring and a chore to get through (and we didn't have Cliff's Notes that I was aware of back then). But then later, around 18 or 19 I read all her stuff in a span of a few months. While it was still dry I grokked it, and part of that philosophy stands with me today. Not all of it by any means, but enough to know that I'm still a small L libertarian in most ways. I doubt she was out to build a cult or a religion out of her missives.

jack

Her lectures were pretty intriguing. I was in 3rd grade, but they affected the way I thought about a lot of things from a very early age. My mom was severly disabled with RA, so this was one of her refuges. We would have long conversations in the cab about the concepts on the way home from the lectures. (they were in Kenmore Square and we lived in Brighton then) I still have some of the small pamphlets she would distribute after the lectures for study guides "The Principles of Objectivism" and "Notes for the New Intellectual". Whenever I think of Ayn Rand I fondly remember these times with my mom.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I've read "Atlas Shrugged" twice (nothing else from Rand). My favorite Aunt had a copy on her bookshelf, but since she hated guns and was relatively connected in the Minnesota Democratic party (I've got letters to her from Hubert Humphrey and(?) Walter Mondale) I never picked it up because I feared it was liberal garbage. One of my regrets in life is that I didn't discover the book until after she died--and when I tried to get her copy, it had already disappeared. It probably went to the hospice library. I dunno. Anyhow... I hadn't remembered how dirty it was. Dagny's screwing people like a rabid weasel in heat.

jack

I just don't get all the vitriol towards her. Was she considered "communist"?

I though she had created the idea of "objectivism"

jack

for the record I haven't posted over there in ages.

The Question

Eternal
I call this artwork, "Un-Self-Aware Cunt In Its Native Habitat".

ICK3DVV.png