Justified Suicide

Consumer

Elder Statesman
The secret agent, captured and about to be tortured for vital information, bites the cyanide capsule before they can be questioned...

Justified?

The trapped worker in the World Trade center, above the flames, smoke surrounding them, with no way out, the decision to stay and burn or jump...

Justified?

The "terminal" patient, knowing there is nothing but pain and expense ahead for a few brief days or weeks of life...

Justified?

The grandfather who gets the diagnosis: his fading memory and competence is Alzheimer's, but his body is in good health. Does he subject his children and grandchildren to years of a fading personality, constant care, a drain on the legacy he wanted to leave them?

Justified?

The young person in angst, the heartbreak or the fear of coming out or the social isolation that never seems to end. Never a moment of happiness, and everyone around them seems to hate them or wish they would go away...

Justified?

The bi-polar, or the manic-depressive, or the marginally sane/insane person, watching their control slip, worried about their impulses. If they take themselves out first, then maybe those voices saying to kill everyone else will go away...and no one else will have to "pay" for their illness? Plus, then they go on "their terms".

Justified?

The 90th birthday. Alone, no more financial resources, bereft of spouse and friends, ignored by the rest. Why not?

Justified?

We have euthanasia laws. But how far to we let them go?

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I think the question should be why are there euthanasia laws. After we determine that we should discuss how those laws are only effective when the suicidal person lacks conviction.

Which is not a suicidal person...

Which means the law works.

Yay?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I believe in Camus here.

He pointed out that suicide is our ONLY freedom.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Ala' Hemingway/Thompson seems cool from this side but damn hard to appreciate after the fact. I guess have to just go knowing.

The idea of making suicide illegal is laughably ridiculous. The mere suggestion should have em rolling in the isle. The fact that it passes for compassion being the total polar opposite is pretty damn scary.

All justified of course SB. Don't be silly.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
attempted suicide is illegal.

Successful suicide isn't prosecutable.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Since we're so damn smart we should make attempted suicide punishible by death.

It's really the only thing that makes sense.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I think euthenasia need to shut up and get back to making my inexpensive Walmart products. And suicide ought to be a televised event with audience participation and a way to suggest other people who really should consider it. Like a "please kill yourself" hallmark card. The traffic generated to and from my mail box alone would save the postal industry.

EDIT: Never mind. Forget my idea about ways to suggest suicide I forgot we already have the internet.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
"Real Death" - the series

Promise the participants good drugs to dull pain, then kill 'em on air (everything from "gladiatorial" combat to solo acts). Yeah, people would watch.
Might as well throw in executions in too, just don't give them the good drugs.

So angsty teens offing themselves is ok? Just asking (not saying it's wrong).

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I just remembered- Suicide is legal as long as its really slow. ie. carbs, work etc. Not only is it legal it glorified. Ever seen a Carls jr. hamburger commercial?

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
I have no problem whatsoever with people killing themselves, no matter what reason they might have. What I do have a problem with is people killing or harming others in the process, like ppl jumping in front of cars or trains, or fuckers blowing their heads off with their family or friends finding them (and, eventually, having to clean the site). It's the height of passive-aggressiveness, really.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Good point. Although I'd still argue that if they are that bad, homicide might be the better option, no?

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Good point. Although I'd still argue that if they are that bad, homicide might be the better option, no?

For you or I yes. But you gotta admit blasting your brains all over someone's shiny white tile bathroom would leave what most would consider to be a lasting impression. And a fine way to see to it you were never forgotten. Nothing like a long, arduous clean up of horrific gore to say fuck you to the ones you hate.

Still, I'm going murder/suicide if I go that direction. Murder for the mark and a murder/suicide scene for the rest of the world. And if you know Gear, you know it'd be with planning, spectacle and panache'.

This is an uplifting thread for the new year.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
People who commit suicide become civil servants in the afterlife.

Or Mighty Kings. You'll recall the meek shall inherit the earth.

I heard a story of a man who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and survived. When the interviewer asked him what went through his head as he jumped he said he was immediately struck with an instant and profound regret with having done so.

So heads up folks - Remember this^ when you're putting that pistol in your mouth.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
^yeah, but if you still want to pull through with it, please be considerate and do remember to aim correctly - watching someone eat without lower jaw might possibly be worse than removing gray matter from the book shelves.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Or Mighty Kings. You'll recall the meek shall inherit the earth.

I heard a story of a man who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and survived. When the interviewer asked him what went through his head as he jumped he said he was immediately struck with an instant and profound regret with having done so.

So heads up folks - Remember this^ when you're putting that pistol in your mouth.

for

[jesus h christ]