Let's prattle on about how Nintendo is going bankrupt

It's really because the 'gaming market' has changed so much since the Wii launched.

Before it was mainly a niche thing, and it's main audience were people who did care about online, graphics and. 'hardcore' (I hate that term) games. And those people think the Wii failed. But the Wii was never aimed at them, as they are a minority when compared to everyone else, and that's who Nintendo sold the Wii to, and those are the people who bought it en mass.

For the record, I've had a Wii since the Christmas after it launched, and although I only really ever used it for it's core games (the Marios, some lightgun games, etc) I still consider it a worthwhile console as those games are really good. Although I was playing the majority of games on PC as that had the rest of the games I wanted to play (since my PC is now getting on I bought a PS3 in the last month so I could keep playing those types of games but also watch Blu-Rays).

The only reason I want to go with an xbox is because the PS3 is FUCKDAMN expensive. I don't expect I'll ever use the online stuff, except to download patches and STUFF like that.

HRMMM, I see that I can buy a 320GB PS3 for about the same as a 4GB Xbox. WHAT SHOULD i DO?

Honestly the choice between 360 and PS3 depends entirely on:
A) Which console has the exclusive games you want to play
B) If you care about Blu-Ray in any way.

Apparently the big bug for PS3's Skyrim has been fixed, so that should be a problem any more.

Personally I'm very happy with my PS3 after having it for 4 weeks, but that doesn't mean you can't get a 360!

EGGS, I can't play games on my PC anymore because lightening fried my motherboard and then the new motherboard has shitty on board graphics, and I NEVER KNEW that my old motherboard had a built in graphics card THINGY, anyway I can't even play Plants vs Zombies on this thing now. If I get graphics card I'd also have to get a new power supply because this one is only 250watts and apparently that ain't good enough and then it all gets too complicated for me and HEAD ASSPLODE. Someday I will have to get a new PC anyway, but right now this one still works really well and other than the lightening and shitty graphics I don't have any problems with it. AND I don't have the money to fork out for all that AND A BAG OF CHIPS.

I don't know which system has the exclusive games I want, it seems that most of the games I'm interested in come out for both platforms. I have a HD capable TV, but I don't really care about blu-ray. The thing that is interesting me about the PS3 now is that it has the 320GB hd, for the same price as the XBox 4GB. So that makes it seem so much better. I JUST DON'T KNOW.

Get a PS3.

Also omg bankrupt
Nintendo sees skyward sales on Black Friday

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword helped Nintendo to a successful kickoff of the holiday sales season.

The new Nintendo 3DS game, Super Mario 3D Land, which landed in stores Nov. 11, has become the fastest selling portable Mario game in company history, selling more than 500,000 units since launch, says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

Meanwhile, the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, released for the Nintendo Wii on Sunday, Nov. 20, has sold 535,000 copies since its U.S. launch, making it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, he says.

These strong new releases also drove sales of Nintendo 3DS and Wii systems, Fils-Aime says. Last week's 3DS sales tripled (by 325%) compared to sales the week of Nov. 6, the week before Super Mario 3D Land debuted; the week of its debut, sales rose 49% over the previous week.

The Nintendo Wii had its biggest Black Friday ever more with than 500,000 units sold just during Black Friday and the pre-Black openings at some stores, he says.

The PS3 comes with a standard USB lead for the Dualshock, which will charge it either by plugging into the PS3 or any other USB port (like on your computer).

WOOT, I just ordered the PS3 (the 160 GB one because it's $50 less and I'm not gonna be downloading a bunch of stuff anyway) AND I ordered Skyrim.

I hope you enjoy it Cassie!

If you do have a HD ready TV (with an HDMI port) then you'd be really wise to get a HDMI cable. You can use any one you find, really, due to the fact that it's a digital cable a $5 cable will have the same quality as a $50 cable. The cable I'm using now is a £5 Amazon basics one and it's absolutely perfect.

You're looking at it from a very subjective perspective. You're seeing Nintendo's attitude of focusing on more 'casual' games and perhaps the older and younger demographics and thinking "Well, since they're not aiming at ME anymore, I won't buy it and as EVERYONE ELSE thinks like me, no one else will buy it and they'll be ruined!".

Which of course, is crap. You're the minority. The majority are the people who didn't play games before the Wii. Those are the people Nintendo targeted, and that - in combination with the fact that Nintendo are actually the only ones who make money when they sell a console - is why they have made millions and millions of dollars.

It's also why Sony and Microsoft are desperate to get into that same market, hence Kinect and Playstation Move. If the Wii had been as bad a misstep as you claim then those things would not exist.
On the contrary, I am exactly the market the Nintendo WII is aimed at, the nostalgia/family-oriented/exercise game market. Nintendo's misstep was in making the WII so underpowered and non-multipurpose, and now that SONY and XBOX both have a kinetic offering they don't even have that market cornered.

No, the old person who wants to "play that bowling game" and the middle aged single mum who wants to use Wii fit give totally no fucks about HD graphics or online friends lists.

And there's a lot of them.

On the contrary, I am exactly the market the Nintendo WII is aimed at, the nostalgia/family-oriented/exercise game market. Nintendo's misstep was in making the WII so underpowered and non-multipurpose, and now that SONY and XBOX both have a kinetic offering they don't even have that market cornered.

Again, this past black friday was the Wii's most successful since its launch. Nintendo made the Wii so underpowered it can sell it for 99$ when the competition is still mired in the 200-300$ price range. That's one hell of a misstep.

Again, this past black friday was the Wii's most successful since its launch. Nintendo made the Wii so underpowered it can sell it for 99$ when the competition is still mired in the 200-300$ price range. That's one hell of a misstep.

Except both Sony and Xbox offer a helluva lot more bang for the buck, and android/downloadable games are making ALL KINDS of inroads into Nintendo's underpowered game market. All your stats gleaned from when Nintendo ran the world, as recently as 2009 and 2010, don't account for the fact that their world value and market share is plummeting in 2011. They're going the wrong direction, and doing it faster-than-light. WII only dropped its price BECAUSE of the stock plummet in August, not because they had some genius marketing plan. In fact, Nintendo traditionally has held retailer hostage in order to turn a profit on its hardware, insisting that games and units be sold for no less than a price set by Nintendo, using its hottest properties as ransom. It worked like this: if a retailer, say Kmart or some other deep-discount chain, received Nintendo WII and was ordered to sell them for $149.99, they were NOT to go under that amount for any reason, even a few pennies. If a retailer was caught cutting prices, Nintendo punished them by withholding or sending scarce copies of hot properties like Mario and Zelda. I saw this happening back in the 80's and it was a poorly kept secret. Still goes on today.

Literally none of that means that Nintendo didn't just sell a lot of consoles and make a lot of money from it, though.

If the Wii was going in "the wrong direction", people would not buy it.

They have.

They have a lot.

This is a very simple concept that I really don't understand how you don't get.

Back