Menty's Star Trek Review. ( No Spoilers )

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think Bana did a good job with what they gave him. If this had been the 2nd or 3rd movie in the new timeline they probably would have fleshed his character out a bit more, and the entire movie would have had a lot more substance. As it is, I think they were very smart to launch with an exciting action packed movie, hopefully they'll take more time to develop the plot and the characters for the next one.

The giant ball of red matter seems much more ominous than a few drops, which is probably why they did that. It's still kinda stupid, but forgivable.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
Oh oh.... that reminds me of something.

If our villian was really waiting around 25 years for Spock to appear, wouldnt he have aged more?

;)
mm

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
As a Romulan he has the same lifespan as a Vulcan. They've always been a bit sketchy of when exactly the aging starts to show but I was willing to go along with that. hoguh if I was in Rura Penthe for even five minutes I can assure you I would age dramatically ;)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'll watch it later.

I didn't even notice Tyler Perry in the movie. I really can't believe it's such a big deal to some people that he got a bit part in a movie where he doesn't have to dress up like a busty black woman. (talking about the 9 silly things list)

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Tyler Perry wasn't even in it enough to be considered the worst part of the movie, as one commenter said in response to that blog.

And yeah, the green slave girl looked a little fake, but it didn't rub me the wrong way.

And no, I didn't think of MIB 2 when Scotty was being tossed around in the watertube.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Those nine things seem picky for the sake of being picky.

Someone on another board said he watched the film but felt it wasn't true star trek, but then he also said he never watched TOS, so basically he dosnt know what hes talking about.

Tisiphone

Morons!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
My mom said the same thing missmanners did about Leonard Nimoy's false teeth!

Tisiphone

I guess I wasn't paying attention...or I was just impatient for the camera to pan back to Chris Pine...

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Thoshe were shome big, dishtracting choppers, yeshshir!!

Tisiphone

I guess stuff like that just doesn't even register with me.

Big Dick McGee

It's because all the blood was rushing to the big GIRL-BONER you had for Chris Pine!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I didn't notice his teeth either. I don't think I look at people's mouths when they talk, or something.

Big Dick McGee

I mostly just look at their boobies.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If you go see it again another time, the machine that holds the red matter has the lost numbers on it

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Yeah I get that, I'm just saying it's not like Star Trek's never had product placement.

I happen to like product placement in movies. I always have. To me, it adds a note of realism and authenticity to a movie. Adds to it's believability and grounding in what's familiar to us.

HEY WHISKY WHY DON'T YOU GO FUCK YOURSELF I AM GOING TO SEE THE MOVIE THIS AFTERNOON AND NOW I WILL BE STARING AT THE GIANT RED BALL O' SHITE MACHINE TO SEE IF IT REALLY HAS THE LOST NUMBERS!

haha. I'm just kidding and realize it's a JJ Abrams joke. he was surprisingly uninteresting on Charlie Rose, seemed like just another movie person.

May I speak as a parent here for a moment. I am just STOKED AS HELL that they made a new Star Trek IP that doesn't suck donkey balls. I have always been a fan of TOS and TNG, along with the Star Trek movies I - IV or so.

However it's been tough to find a way to introduce that universe to my kids. We watch TNG sometimes, but honestly -- hate to say this to you fanbois -- it really hasn't aged all that great. Between the haircuts and the bad special effects and sometimes-stilted references to literature etc my kids just can't get into it all that much. Or, they'll be entertained sometimes, but in a sort of disconnected way and not where they want to BE Riker and want to MARRY Troi like we did as kids.

So, I'm taking my kids -- aged 10, 8, and 3.5 -- at 1 o'clock to check this out. I really like this thread by the way, thank you for keeping the spoilers behind the click.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
Well said, man.
As parents it is our duty to [STRIKE]indoctrinate[/STRIKE]introduce the next generation to the next generation. So to speak. Not the Next Generation, that's old now, but the newest next generation - you know what I mean.

*smugly*
p.s. I think the minions taking me to see the film on Mothers' Day (and loving it) demonstrates that due diligence in this matter pays off.
If only I could get them to say "Live long and prosper!"
maybe not.