Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mininova - R.I.P

I download just asm uch as the next guy, but you have to admit they do kind of have a point about it being illegal and taking away the money from their investments. Then again, i'd never pay to watch most of these things anyway and torrents can be used to up and download legal shit as well as il.

I torrent and [unless it's SGU which I only torrent BECAUSE I'M A FRAKING WEEK BEHIND EVERYONE ELSE OTHERWISE] I eventually buy what I torrent [I'll probably buy SGU @ some point in the future too]. Unless of course, it's shit. Torrents are like personalised TV. IMO torrents do more to help the industry than harm it, people like to own stuff. They usually don't like to keep free pirate copies or of course, shit.

Well fuck.

I used it all the time, in concert with isohunt. Now it's just isohunt (which admittedly usually had more seeders/uploaders for less popular trackers, but you have to wade through more crap in your searches).

Demonoid isn't dead, the trackers still work. You just have to paste in those additional trackers they had on their home page for a while before they took them down. Then just remove the dupes, or the onces that aren't available. (These days I just add the list to every non-private torrent I start, just for kicks).

So I'm down to isohunt, and 2 private sites I belong to. And one of the private sites keeps going down. Thanks for the Torrentz link.

I download just asm uch as the next guy, but you have to admit they do kind of have a point about it being illegal and taking away the money from their investments. Then again, i'd never pay to watch most of these things anyway and torrents can be used to up and download legal shit as well as il.
I have digital cable, and pay for premium movie channels like HBO and Showtime, which have their own on-demand channels included in their lineup. There are also a ton of free on-demand channels in the cable lineup where I can look at movies or TV shows for free.

As someone who doesn't upload new torrents, and mostly downloads TV episodes that I missed, or old movies that I have already owned on either DVD or VHS, or already pay to view with digital cable, I'm finding it hard to swallow the argument that I'm cheating somebody. They let people DVR things and don't ask questions about what happens to the content once it's recorded. The line between sanctioned copying and "pirating" is getting ridiculously blurry.

I can see the argument if I download an album by a starving indie artist who didn't upload the torrent himself, but the same argument doesn't fly when I download the Family Guy I missed while watching Desperate Housewives, just because I don't have Tivo.

I have digital cable, and pay for premium movie channels like HBO and Showtime, which have their own on-demand channels included in their lineup. There are also a ton of free on-demand channels in the cable lineup where I can look at movies or TV shows for free.

As someone who doesn't upload new torrents, and mostly downloads TV episodes that I missed, or old movies that I have already owned on either DVD or VHS, or already pay to view with digital cable, I'm finding it hard to swallow the argument that I'm cheating somebody. They let people DVR things and don't ask questions about what happens to the content once it's recorded. The line between sanctioned copying and "pirating" is getting ridiculously blurry.

I can see the argument if I download an album by a starving indie artist who didn't upload the torrent himself, but the same argument doesn't fly when I download the Family Guy I missed while watching Desperate Housewives, just because I don't have Tivo.

Yeah, that's all very well, but as long as there are people like me in countries overseas that these companies would like to sell their shows to, they'll potentially be losing profit. If a large number of the target audience in [*checks location* Oh, I'm in Egypt this week...] have already downloaded DH or FG, or whatever, then the tv ratings will end up being lower and less money will be made. That's presumably the theory, anyway.

Really they need to set up some kind of worldwide catch-up/on demand service instead of lots of little ones belonging to different networks and countries. Just check each user's IP address to give them region specific adverts and no one would need to download anything illegally.

Unfortunately, they couldn't even get one off the ground for the UK's four main networks (which was called Kangaroo, iirc), because it was deemed uncompetitive. Instead we have four different catchup service websites of varying quality. I hear we're getting Hulu for US content soon, though, so that'll be a start.

I guess we'll just have to all go back to hacking the Pentagon for interesting content, then.

(JOKE, US Government - JOKE!)

That's a demo of a game that has been uploaded by the content owner.

Mininova will still work for strictly legal torrents which are uploaded by the copyright owners or have been given express permission to be uploaded.

I'll reiterate: Mininova...R.I.P

Anyone remember when the Torrent network was DEFINITELY going to kill Hollywood REALLY REALLY soon?