My Blood Runs Cold Issues

The Question

Eternal
Why has it been so long? A few reasons, and the big one, the elephant in the room, is one I'm not proud of.

1. There have been a group of people, for about ten years now, telling me that my writing is crap, that I should just give in and give up. And it's hard not to not take that to heart, no matter how a heart is armored against that.

So that's part of it. I've been beat on for my efforts. Beat on, good and hard, and for a long time. It's hard to bust through that.

2. Maybe because of point 1, maybe not, I'm not 100% I've chosen the right time/place setting for the story. I've been pondering, would it fly better as straight science fiction? Straight period piece? I don't know.

So that's what's up right now. Motivation issues mostly.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Oh please. It's your own fault for listening for ten years.

Or did they have you chained down while they insulted your dream?

Sticks and stones, crybaby.

Maybe you should rethink trying to force people to approve of you on your own terms.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Aww whatsa matter? Didn't get the answer you were hoping for?

See? That's your problem right there.

Just like I said.

For such a tough guy you have some pretty thin skin.

Maybe you're your problem.

The Question

Eternal
Aww whatsa matter? Didn't get the answer you were hoping for?

Didn't have any particular answer in mind.

See? That's your problem right there.

The radiator has a dead squirrel in it?

Just like I said.

For such a tough guy you have some pretty thin skin.

If you look into it, you'll find that that's a common trait of creative people, actually.

Maybe you're your problem.

I thought it was a Common Core math problem.

Besides, you make it seem like you think I'm giving up. Never said that. Just said it's been a while 'cause I'm having a tough time staying motivated. Y'oughta read more carefully, ya #2 pencil. :p

Ancalagon

I'm not wearing any panties!!
I've only read bits of pieces of your writing but in all of it I see two (related) problems.

1) You try too hard. The accents, the setting, plot, everything is overwrought and over the top.

2) You write only for yourself. You have a story you want to tell, in the way you want to tell it, and with the messages you want to get out there. Dammit, you're the writer, so you're gonna do you! But if you don't care about the audience, why should they care about your work?

Ancalagon

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Anyway, "let's diminish his motivation some more" isn't the theme of this thread.
Oh, oops, did I miss the point of this thread?

Guess the writing wasn't that clear.

:D

The Question

Eternal
Considering how 'overwrought' and 'over the top' it is, guess that makes you kind of a retard, huh?

Or maybe it's that your criticism has no consistency, meaning that it's not made in good faith. Maybe failing to realize that I'd notice that is what makes you kind of a retard. ;)

The Question

Eternal
You know what the most fun thing is about this book? It's the WF shit brigade's reaction versus everybody else's. You fuckers can't tear it down hard enough, but everybody else loves it. Which proves one thing: you all are full of shit.

The Question

Eternal
Motivation = 100%.

Revisions completed on Chapters 1-25 -- female lead rewritten from one-off character to recurring/regular. Secondary antagonist's public persona rewritten to accommodate female lead's rewrite. Escape scene revised. Male and female lead's character arc revised from explicit at Point A to implicit at Point A. Male lead's accent restored.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I still don't really get why you stream of consciousness this shit.

Is it that you get the motor started by telling every one who re's to go fuck themselves?

Because that I get.

I can think of quite a few time over the years when creating an opposing position for myself galvanized my resolve to act in my own best interest.

The power of 'fuck you' can be an excellent motivator.

The Question

Eternal
I still don't really get why you stream of consciousness this shit.

Is it that you get the motor started by telling every one who re's to go fuck themselves?

Because that I get.

I can think of quite a few time over the years when creating an opposing position for myself galvanized my resolve to act in my own best interest.

The power of 'fuck you' can be an excellent motivator.

Bingo.

The Question

Eternal
BTW, it also has the benefit of being true. People love this story. Only the asshats at WF who have made a tradition of shitting on my writing for personal reasons have ever bashed it. Because -- and i'm sure @'Gear has taken note of this -- they're cumsocks.

The Question

Eternal
The novel proceeds apace, much to the chagrin of the haters. BECAUSE OF the haters. Much like the "Twilight" novels and the "50 Shades Of Shit" novels, mine will succeed BECAUSE it sucks, then be adapted into a series of major motion pictures BECAUSE it sucks, and I will become obscenely wealthy and lord it over WF BECAUSE my novel sucks! And it will all happen because WF haters insisted that it sucks! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! :naughty:

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
The novel proceeds apace, much to the chagrin of the haters. BECAUSE OF the haters. Much like the "Twilight" novels and the "50 Shades Of Shit" novels, mine will succeed BECAUSE it sucks, then be adapted into a series of major motion pictures BECAUSE it sucks, and I will become obscenely wealthy and lord it over WF BECAUSE my novel sucks! And it will all happen because WF haters insisted that it sucks! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! :naughty:

I don't hate it. Making a book about the J Geils band and the song Centerfold is a brave choice.