Official discussion of the future of the Badlands.

Mirah

I love you
Not rules..... think of it as a policy and convince me why it should be that way.

;)
mm

If people want to flood-they can do it in day care. Who cares if thier posts don't count there-thats thier problem. I only do it here in the badlands as well because it was allowed.
If we had a policy against it-then I too would abide by it.
And really-I could care less about the flooding anyway-its the flushing/merging/purging of threads that I want to change.
I know you gave us a chance to save our threads-but then they got fucked up anyway-not your fault I know.
We tried posting in the playground and the tea room (sort of) it just doesn't seem to work as well for us-this place is different.
There are enough of us here that enjoy this place-
I mean look what happened after the purge.
Neil left. SC created a section for us. Eventually Bick created a section for us at his forum. These were all because others recognized that we had something here-and while I visit those places and appreciate it, its just not the same as being able to do it here at TK.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
First thoughts on this, subject to change once I receive the respective bribes...

LC: I wanna know what exactly constitutes a thread to be mergeable to you. Does such a definition even exist, or do you prefer to have every thread standing on its own, even the most idiotic one?

Fact is, at least as far as I understood it,- the server has limited space, so threads have to be deleted or archived once in a while. In order to facilitate the choice of what threads these will be, I like the concept of moving obviously mindless spam threads into Spamcapital or other designated threads, then have them purged once we have reached the limit. I also would like the people spamming the most (Gagh, DL, Dual, LC) to give some kind of feedback on this. The way I've done it until now, I merged the most obvious BS plus those threads whose starters gave "permission" to do so. Threads I wasn't certain about, or those who had people responding, were off-limits. I think it worked ok, but any suggestion as to how to do it better are welcome.

The problems that arose with the mergings were accidents. Bullshitting aside, (and I know I sound like an idiot, this being TK and stuff) I trust Cacophony, Dershocka, GTC, mm, and Menty to not fuck with the Badlands like that on purpose (Of course, I have no idea who else is fiddling with the buttons...). It is neither funny nor especially cool, and since I know how merging is done, I also know just how much mistakes one can make.
IMO, these accidents accumulated because there were at some point 4 (or even more) admins/mods who wanted to do their job and cleaned the BL.
That's why I think some kind of "self-modding" would be a good idea. The regulars kinda know (and can agree on) which thread constitutes useless spam and which one is worth being preserved. If a purge is necessary, tell us in time, so we can discuss and try saving the relevant ones. (Maybe it works the second time ;) )

As for the flooding... I don't mind it. I may be a bit bored if it gets too much, but I see it as a part of the Badlands, so I can live with it. And yes, I am willing to clean it up, and since I usually get help, too, it's no biggy. Any discussions about the amount of threads or flooding speed are between the tech admin, mm and Gagh, I will stay out of it.

Oh, yeah, someone mentioned rules... I don't like imposing rules. Use your brain when you wanna get along with people and bear the consequences without whining when you act like an asshole. That's all that's needed, really.

I Love Cunt

Watch It
First thoughts on this, subject to change once I receive the respective bribes...

LC: I wanna know what exactly constitutes a thread to be mergeable to you. Does such a definition even exist, or do you prefer to have every thread standing on its own, even the most idiotic one?

I would say Gagh style flooding constitutes merging-from this point on. I never suggested it be done before-since it seemed like a ridiculous task anyway and there was no "rule" against it. Hence why I did it a little myself.
Now others may come and flood-but they don't go on for 3-4 pages-and they have thread titles-and words other than "adsfjglek" in the post-that does not really constitute merging for me if there is a subject. I'd be curiuos to know other peoples thoughts on this as well.

The way I've done it until now, I merged the most obvious BS plus those threads whose starters gave "permission" to do so. Threads I wasn't certain about, or those who had people responding, were off-limits. I think it worked ok, but any suggestion as to how to do it better are welcome.

I think you have done a fine job Ily.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...

Fact is, at least as far as I understood it,- the server has limited space, so threads have to be deleted or archived once in a while. In order to facilitate the choice of what threads these will be, I like the concept of moving obviously mindless spam threads into Spamcapital or other designated threads, then have them purged once we have reached the limit. I also would like the people spamming the most (Gagh, DL, Dual, LC) to give some kind of feedback on this. The way I've done it until now, I merged the most obvious BS plus those threads whose starters gave "permission" to do so. Threads I wasn't certain about, or those who had people responding, were off-limits. I think it worked ok, but any suggestion as to how to do it better are welcome.

At this point we have plenty of space on the server, but as Cooter can tell you, it's not a powerful server (his Atari pong game had more power, etc...), the memory and processing isn't all that great (I believe I use the term crappy server) and the more threads and posts there are to search thru each time people use certain functions plus the rapid fire spamming and flooding all slow the server. And when the server is running slow, people tend to keep hitting refresh hoping it will load and that actually causes it to run slower, and add a mod or admin trying to merge and clean up and that also causes it to run slow. So the issue isn't server space but server performance.

;)
mm

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
At this point we have plenty of space on the server, but as Cooter can tell you, it's not a powerful server (his Atari pong game had more power, etc...), the memory and processing isn't all that great (I believe I use the term crappy server) and the more threads and posts there are to search thru each time people use certain functions plus the rapid fire spamming and flooding all slow the server. And when the server is running slow, people tend to keep hitting refresh hoping it will load and that actually causes it to run slower, and add a mod or admin trying to merge and clean up and that also causes it to run slow. So the issue isn't server space but server performance.

;)
mm

By that logic, there is absolutely no reason to purge the Badlands. Just disable the search function, ban Gagh, and get rid of any and all admins/mods. Voilà, problem gone. ;)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The Badlands have my support in becoming a real forum, but I reserve the right to give Dork Lord shit ANYTIME I FEEL LIKE IT.

The server slowing down is a big pain in the ass. So some kind of no flooding policy would be appreciated. I don't like rules, but I don't like not being able to post even worse.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
In my opinion the Badlands is and was a bad ideal. In my opinion there never should be a forum strickly for spamming.

What kinda person want's to have a 100,000 or 1,000,000 post on a message board?

OHHH YEAH! KILL THIS FORUM!

I Love Cunt

Watch It
In my opinion the Badlands is and was a bad ideal. In my opinion there never should be a forum strickly for spamming.

What kinda person want's to have a 100,000 or 1,000,000 post on a message board?

OHHH YEAH! KILL THIS FORUM!

As if your opinion matters at this point.