Ongoing Battlestar Galactica thread of doom.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The mirrored Starbuck/Fisk arc is very good, where they're getting the phone call and wondering if it's going to happen and everything else.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Since I'm here and I've been meaning to say it: I will argue that the ship Adama gave Starbuck to look for Earth was supposed to be the "Prometheus," for the titan who stole fire from the Gods to give to man. But because "Stargate: SG-1" had a ship called the "Prometheus" the lawyers said they couldn't do it, so they went with "Demetrius."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I just realized what BSG was missing: They should've made Starbuck bisexual. Mmmm...Starbuck and Kat...gahg;kahghah....

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It may be time to go down the rabbit hole again. I've been perving "All Along The Watchtower" on YouTube and I've got a hankering agin'.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Over on The Other board, they've got a "rewatching BSG" thread going too. And it is interesting, how atheists have a problem with the ending but theists find it deeply rewarding. The poser There can't figure out what the ending meant--even though by Season 1(?) Head Six was explaining that she was an angel from God. The problem is, if you don't believe in God, you skip the blatantly obvious cues. You wait for the payoff when Science explains why Laura and the cleric thought she was the dying leader that would lead the tribes to Earth. But if God is really behind it all...that is unpossible. Even when we blatantly see Starbuck die--and then come back, in an inexplicably mint Viper--and then find her own body on Earth...they're like "I can't wait to see how they explain that God isn't real."

Only they never do. Because in this story, God is real. Oh, maybe he's not a superhuman omnipotent old white dude with a beard and white robes. "He" may be some kind of alien we don't understand. But "He" is definitely real. And behind everything that has happened. And Godless people can't wrap their brains around that ending.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
As a wise man once said, "You gotta have faith. You gotta have faith, faith, faith, faith; you gotta have faith."

SAUSAGEMAN

Over on The Other board, they've got a "rewatching BSG" thread going too. And it is interesting, how atheists have a problem with the ending but theists find it deeply rewarding. The poser There can't figure out what the ending meant--even though by Season 1(?) Head Six was explaining that she was an angel from God. The problem is, if you don't believe in God, you skip the blatantly obvious cues. You wait for the payoff when Science explains why Laura and the cleric thought she was the dying leader that would lead the tribes to Earth. But if God is really behind it all...that is unpossible. Even when we blatantly see Starbuck die--and then come back, in an inexplicably mint Viper--and then find her own body on Earth...they're like "I can't wait to see how they explain that God isn't real."

Only they never do. Because in this story, God is real. Oh, maybe he's not a superhuman omnipotent old white dude with a beard and white robes. "He" may be some kind of alien we don't understand. But "He" is definitely real. And behind everything that has happened. And Godless people can't wrap their brains around that ending.
v good post i agree

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Maybe age or drink are affecting my judgement, but I feel the need to go down this rabbit hole again. (And speaking of totally unrelated rabbits to follow, to rewatch the 1999 "The Matrix".)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Yeah. Agreed. I'll be excited at the idea, but then I think about the reality. To make the story work, you had to spend a lot of time with Helo and Athena slogging along on Caprica and Starbuck acting crazy on the Demetrius and the Cylon occupations of various planets. That was what made the various payoff scenes so rewarding. But after enough times through, it's like "geez, I don't want to have to deal with the whole Baltar becomes a religious figure" thing again (or whatever).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Wasn't it just a load of women wanting to frak him.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It may be time to rewatch it again. It's corny and manipulative and drags in places. And as much as they try to stay true to the premise, there's an awful lot of whisky and uniforms and cigars to keep people comfortable. That said I think I may be able to get through the slow bits for the amaze-a-balls bits. Watched some "rescue Hera" clips just now, along with the Dee Adama "I'm putting the fleet back together" one and I may need to do it again.

It is so wild, that they had a budget on par with ST: VOY and utterly blew it out of the water. Maybe TV came along enough in the intervening years, but damn, VOY looks like a TV show while BSG looks like a film--for the same amount of money.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
It may be time to rewatch it again. It's corny and manipulative and drags in places. And as much as they try to stay true to the premise, there's an awful lot of whisky and uniforms and cigars to keep people comfortable. That said I think I may be able to get through the slow bits for the amaze-a-balls bits. Watched some "rescue Hera" clips just now, along with the Dee Adama "I'm putting the fleet back together" one and I may need to do it again.

It is so wild, that they had a budget on par with ST: VOY and utterly blew it out of the water. Maybe TV came along enough in the intervening years, but damn, VOY looks like a TV show while BSG looks like a film--for the same amount of money.
Let's do it. I'm game.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bah. I'm always out of time. Got a dog to walk, bathroom to clean, bookkeeping to do, and a laundry room to paint. And I gotta go to work in a few hours. This is the way it is every day.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
There needs to be, like, a pill you can take to experience the whole series again in a half hour. Because I'm ready for it but I just don't have the goddamn time. Rewatched the pilot miniseries recently. But not so recently that I want to just go straight to "33" or "Water" or whatever. But I do need to go down the rabbit hole again soon.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It may be a moot point. Watched a bit of the pilot maybe a month ago. Can't get to it now. Keeps looping me to buying Premium Service. And then when I opt out it kicks me back to the main page. Why does the Internet get shittier and shittier the more and more advanced it gets?