Questions for Judge_Dave

Mirah

I love you
This question regards contracts.

Given your review of the introductory concepts concerning contracts, consider the following:

Mike tells Chris that an exciting concert is coming to town, and he will spend $40 a ticket if Chris will go to the concert with him. Chris is excited, and she tells Mike that she will attend the concert with him and that he can pick her up at her place at eight PM the evening of the concert. Mike goes to pick Chris up and finds no one at home. Too embarrassed to attend the concert by himself, he goes home. Worried that something may have happened to Chris, he tries to reach her by telephone. The following day, he contacts her and she informs him that she changed her mind; she did not want to go to the concert with him and did not feel it was necessary to call. Mike becomes very emotionally upset over the rejection. Two days later, he files a lawsuit against Chris for $80 in damages for the two unused tickets to the concert and $500 for his emotional trauma. How would the case be decided?

Dr Dave

pillzlol
First of all Chris is a little punk ass and should fuck off.

Chris would be laughed out of court, as there is nothing on paper saying his friend (who probably knows Chris is a punk, choose to sit at home and masturbate to the Swedish Cheif from the Muppets rather then hang out with him) was going to go to the concert.

It's pretty much a he said vs he said thing.

Even if Mike admits he had planned to go and ditched poor Chris, there is no defacto contractural obligation to do so.

Chris should next time get shit in writing, better yet not be a pissy little shit who sues for $80 plus $500 for the emotional distress of being a pissy little cuntscrape. Not to mention court costs, Small Claims Court ain't free.

If I were the Judge, I'd fine this Chris fellow for wasting the court time.

Mirah

I love you
Palsgraf vs Long Island Railroad CO

Good job! Here is the next one!

Plaintiff was standing on a platform of defendant's railroad after buying a ticket to go to Rockaway Beach. A train stopped at the station, bound for another place. Two men ran forward to catch it. One of the men reached the platform of the car without mishap, though the train was already moving. The other man, carrying a package, jumped aboard the car, but seemed unsteady as if about to fall. A guard on the car, who had held the door open, reached forward to help him in, and another guard on the platform pushed him from behind. In this act, the package was dislodged, and fell upon the rails. It was a package of small size, about fifteen inches long, and was covered by a newspaper. In fact it contained fireworks, but there was nothing in its appearance to give notice of its contents. The fireworks when they fell exploded. The shock of the explosion threw down some scales at the other end of the platform, many feet away. The scales struck the plaintiff, causing injuries for which she sues.

Question: Do you agree that Helen should be awarded damages caused by the exploding fireworks?

Feel free to look up the case and I have links if you want them. But I think it is much more fun to just answer them like you did!

Mirah

I love you
A Contract To Paint

A painter agrees to paint a house by November 1st for $1,000. The painter does not paint the house by November 1st. The homeowner found another painter but for $1,300.
Does the homeowner have right to sue the painter for not doing the agreed upon painting?

You may ask questions.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Natalie Portman or Angela Lansbury?

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Good job! Here is the next one!

Plaintiff was standing on a platform of defendant's railroad after buying a ticket to go to Rockaway Beach. A train stopped at the station, bound for another place. Two men ran forward to catch it. One of the men reached the platform of the car without mishap, though the train was already moving. The other man, carrying a package, jumped aboard the car, but seemed unsteady as if about to fall. A guard on the car, who had held the door open, reached forward to help him in, and another guard on the platform pushed him from behind. In this act, the package was dislodged, and fell upon the rails. It was a package of small size, about fifteen inches long, and was covered by a newspaper. In fact it contained fireworks, but there was nothing in its appearance to give notice of its contents. The fireworks when they fell exploded. The shock of the explosion threw down some scales at the other end of the platform, many feet away. The scales struck the plaintiff, causing injuries for which she sues.

Question: Do you agree that Helen should be awarded damages caused by the exploding fireworks?

Feel free to look up the case and I have links if you want them. But I think it is much more fun to just answer them like you did!

Who is Helen sueing?

If she is Suing the rail road and said company takes their due diligence when it comes to security and there was no negligence involved I'd say no.

If she is suing Mr.Guy with a box of fireworks, then I would say yes.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
A painter agrees to paint a house by November 1st for $1,000. The painter does not paint the house by November 1st. The homeowner found another painter but for $1,300.
Does the homeowner have right to sue the painter for not doing the agreed upon painting?

You may ask questions.

If the painter did no work, she should be able to get her money back.

If the painter did not complete the job, but did a portion of the work, she should get the balance back if it was not completed when specified in the contract.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Mirah isn't going to learn anything if you do all her homework, Judge Dave. I think I'll report you to the Bar Association or Judge's Council or something. You will be disbarred or disrobed or whatever.

(I'm NOT serious about this, Dr Dave)

Mirah

I love you
Don't worry Loktar, I used study questions from previuos weeks. He is not doing any of my homework, although I do find his answers amusing.

What is interesting about Helen's case is that it happened in the 1920's

Palsgraf v Long_Is_RR

The railroad did nothing wrong, if anything the scales should not have been able to fall on her, I keep wondering about those.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Don't worry Loktar, I used study questions from previuos weeks. He is not doing any of my homework, although I do find his answers amusing.

What is interesting about Helen's case is that it happened in the 1920's

Palsgraf v Long_Is_RR

The railroad did nothing wrong, if anything the scales should not have been able to fall on her, I keep wondering about those.

I found his answers amusing as well. I didn't find it amusing that had I not put that anti-serious message at the end of my post you or Dr Dave might have actually taken me seriously.

CaptainWacky

DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION, ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Mirah isn't going to learn anything if you do all her homework, Judge Dave. I think I'll report you to the Bar Association or Judge's Council or something. You will be disbarred or disrobed or whatever.

(I'm NOT serious about this, Dr Dave)

!!!!

CaptainWacky

Should I kill myself?