Racism on this board.

Name Pending

I watched a special on Martin Luther King during MLK Day and have to be honest I was so impressed with the man I saw. I takes a great deal of strength and conviction to do what he did, yet it is such a shame that he had to do it at all.

It sickens me that we live in a country where "our greatest generation" were made up of ignorant assholes who actually implemented the use of water fountains for "colored people" and seperate ones for white people. Even my Grandmother threw around "Spook". I am in awe of our founding fathers and the birth of the United States, and the country it has turned into in such a short amount of time, yet blown away by the fact that the very people who wrote the Constitution claiming that all men were created equal managed to exclude black men and all women from those same rights. But those were really different times, so who am I to judge if I wasn't there. We look back at the Egyptians with admiration, as well as the Romans, and they were much, much worse.

What I think has happened is that despite the racism that flares up in the US from time to time, the US has become one of the most racial tolerant nations in the world. To criticize the United States or any other nation though, overlooks mankind as a whole. It isn't just broken by racial lines, but by class, tribe, education, etc. Racism is just a part of it.

Break it down to extremely primal levels. Humans tend to hang with the kinds of people they have common interests with, and not want to be around others who are very different than they are. So even before people start getting pissed off or insulted you have this huge barrier of looks and culture to overcome. As civilized as some people like to think humanity is it isn't much more complicated than animals. Throw in a black out for a two or three days and you'll bounce humanity back into the stone age, so don't expect it to such a great job with overcoming racism.

I think overcoming that initial barrier of culture and race is tough to do. And don't lesson the importance of the culture bit. Awhile ago I was head over heals for a drop-dead gorgeous Indian woman I work with. When I say Indian I mean Indian, not Native American. Easily one of the top 5 women I've ever met. On top of that she's brilliant, and hysterical. Being funny isn't normally a female trait.

Anyway, it took a long time but one day it finally got out that I liked her and she invited me out. It was a really great night and we were out until about 8am. Things moved really quickly and after a while it came up about how things really couldn't get too serious because I wasn't Indian and her parents would disown her if they found out she dated an American.

Now, keep in mind she was born in Virginia, and was as American as you or I, but her parents were from India and if you know anything about their culture, they are hardcore traditionalists. Her family was from Southern India and it was even unacceptable for her to date a Northern Indian guy (there is much discrimination there between Northern Indians and Southern. Southern Indians tend to be dark, while Northern are lighter. Go figure.).

So for a couple of weeks I could see her wrestling with what to do with us, but in the end she did what most Indians do, they do what their parents would want them to. I can't say I was surprised, because I knew a lot about her culture, but I was still so fucking pissed off because no matter how well I treated their daughter, her parents would never approve of me because I was a white american.

So today she is 26, single, and by Indian standards should be married with 3 kids. She is single because while trying to please her parents, she is not crazy about the guys her parents keep introducing her too. Keep in mind too she is beautiful, goddess-like, so your typical Indian-dweeb isn't going to cut it, so her playing field is extremely limited. I kind of feel bad for her, but at the same time can't overlook the fact that my race is what shot me down. Not by just her parents, but her upbringing, and ultimately by her.

So here I was on the opposite site of racism. It sucks but oh well.

I also wanted to bring up another point:

I have a lot of friends, many are rednecks who not only listen to rap music from time to time, but throw the cupcakeer word around repeatedly. One day I asked them about using that word when they actually have black friends, and my friend responded:

"There is a huge difference between black people and cupcakeers. Black people who make something of themselves and get a decent job, raise a family, etc etc are people I have no problems with. The rest if them who end up as losers, thugs, and whores are cupcakeers."

And he went on to say there was just as much difference between Whites and Trailer Trash, or Hispanics and Spics. His example is more along class lines, but I could totally see what he meant. To him, the Blacks were hanging out at the Super Dome in NO, and the cupcakeers were the ones looting.

So I think racial words mean different things to different people. Some blacks have no problems calling themselves cupcakeers, while others are offended. To me it is all blown out of proportion. I would consider being called an Asshole worse than being called a Cracker, but if the guy calling me Cracker was black, I would immediately respond with Dumb Fucking cupcakeer.

Now, I am an extremely tollerant person. I don't consider myself too racist, but I have absolutely ZERO desire to move into a Black or Hispanic neighborhood. Why? Lots of reasons. Does it matter? No, because I ultimately using race as a criteria, which is supposed to be wrong. The truth is I am more prejedice against the lower class than anything simply because I dont trust it. Through in the fact they they will most likely be just as racial towards me wants me to just keep my distance.

It sucks we live in a world like this, but it really begins at a primal level, and until Mankind really evolves, which I am not convinced that we have, we'll always have problems like this in addition the hundreds of other problems that we have.

BlazerBoy

Absofuckinglutely. Let's nuke the whole world. :D

BitchSlapSmitty

Sarek said:
Or, we just nuke each other and call it a day.

Or you supposedly being in a position of law enforcement could tally the amount of non violent offenses for one month straight in comparison to young ethnic males vs. whites.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
BitchSlapSmitty said:
Or you supposedly being in a position of law enforcement could tally the amount of non violent offenses for one month straight in comparison to young ethnic males vs. whites.

There's no supposedly about it. As for a tally, it's neither realistic nor possible. The main area I work civilian is upper middle class and predominatly white. And that's not by choice. It's because it's the area I was assigned. And to be honest, there's not a high crime rate for the area and when we do get it, the majority of it is from outside elements coming into the county.

As for the other, it wouldn't work. I work close to a major metropolitan airport. The neighborhoods around the area are predominatly government and or state faciilities. The residential neighborhoods in the area are mostly lower income housing and to be honest, the population is about 80 percent minority. If I came back with any type of arrest stastitics, you'd scream it was racial profiling. And that's an issue I'd rather stay away from.

BitchSlapSmitty

Isn't "racial profiling" in regards to the judicial system the debate here?

If a tally isn't plausible cause of your surrounding or environment, that I can understand.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
BitchSlapSmitty said:
Isn't "racial profiling" in regards to the judicial system the debate here?

If a tally isn't plausible cause of your surrounding or environment, that I can understand.

Yes it is. But the judicial system itself is a seperate part of law enforcement. It's not the police that decide if someone is going to get a slap on the wrist or serve time. But it's the police that take the blame.

And that's why I have an issue with the whole racial profiling thing. We went through lawsuits a few years back were community leaders came out and filed suits against the city and county claiming that racial profiling was going on when it came to enforcement of traffic laws. In the end the suits were dismissed due in part to the fact that you can't claim profiling when 70 percent of the residents in a given area are black and 30 percent white and the majority of traffic tickets given were to black residents. It's not profiling, it's the law of averages.

But it did result in the formation of a civilian review board being established to police the police. And when you have a group looking over your shoulder who have no concept of what the job entails, trying to tell you how to do your job, it kinda sucks.

Look at this way, I've seen your drawings and they're good. But what would you think of a 3 year old with a crayon trying to tell you how to draw?

BitchSlapSmitty

Well, I've learned to listen to kids, cause they have a lot of wisdom, but I get your point.

Maybe they should have installed a board that was co-moderated by police officials and civillians, so that there was not only equal representation, but also allows the police to share their insight and knowledge. More awareness, and a system of checks and balances.

In regards to racial profilling w/ the police, there still is the problem when they profile people like me for either just walking down a street or driving by. I've heard all the execuses they try to give me why they pulled me over and it's bullshit. I can practically say it ver batim for them as they come up to the window.

Mad Daego

This is all conjecture and opinion based on dodgy observation. Without some sort of reliable stats to back up any or these arguments RWC's initial analysis of the census info stands.

My reccommendation is that someone actually find a stastitical record regarding the amount of offenders behind bars for drug related charges broken down by race as comapred to those for non drug related charges. Then we'll ahve a basis to start comparing WHY so many blacks are behind bars. If this hypothesis proves to be false, that drugs only make up a small portion of black crimes then you've got to take another angle. Until this can be proven arguing that the war on drugs is the primary cause for disproportionate amounts of blacks behind bars has no credibility.

I've yet to even see you make an effort at proving your point. You know what people would call that? A lazy cupcakeer.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Gazing upon my red balls I believe :bigass:

jack

You must be "color blind" Sarge. How apropos is that in a thread like this!

RWC

Mad Daego said:
This is all conjecture and opinion based on dodgy observation. Without some sort of reliable stats to back up any or these arguments RWC's initial analysis of the census info stands.

My reccommendation is that someone actually find a stastitical record regarding the amount of offenders behind bars for drug related charges broken down by race as comapred to those for non drug related charges. Then we'll have a basis to start comparing WHY so many blacks are behind bars. If this hypothesis proves to be false, that drugs only make up a small portion of black crimes then you've got to take another angle. Until this can be proven arguing that the war on drugs is the primary cause for disproportionate amounts of blacks behind bars has no credibility.

I've yet to even see you make an effort at proving your point. You know what people would call that? A lazy cupcakeer.

It just keeps getting better. I decided to find the drug statistics myself and it was even better than the initial point I refuted elsewhere- blacks make up 12% of the total U.S. population, 44% of the prison population and of that, 47.5% of the total number of imprisoned drug offenders. That means the total population of blacks in prison on drug charges 9.5%, which also means that over 34% of the prison population are blacks on non-drug related charges which begs the question: When is personal responsibility going to become a factor in this equation?

BitchSlapSmitty

Mad Daego said:

My reccommendation is that someone actually find a stastitical record regarding the amount of offenders behind bars for drug related charges broken down by race as comapred to those for non drug related charges. Then we'll ahve a basis to start comparing WHY so many blacks are behind bars. If this hypothesis proves to be false, that drugs only make up a small portion of black crimes then you've got to take another angle. Until this can be proven arguing that the war on drugs is the primary cause for disproportionate amounts of blacks behind bars has no credibility.

First? Read Pipe Dream Blues.

Second? Suck my dick for that lazy cupcakeer comment you rancid moist hole.

jack

This thread has become.....wonderful.

RWC

BSS- Why didn't you address even one thing Daego brought up? All you've added was a book that is about what?

Daego said:
conjecture and opinion based on dodgy observation

That's it.

Face it- 34% of the total prison population are African Americans with non-drug offenses. And just because you choose to explain away the other 10% with some CIA conspiracy only takes away from any validity your argument may have had in the first place.

BitchSlapSmitty

RWC said:
BSS- Why didn't you address even one thing Daego brought up? All you've added was a book that is about what?

That's it.

Face it- 34% of the total prison population are African Americans with non-drug offenses. And just because you choose to explain away the other 10% with some CIA conspiracy only takes away from any validity your argument may have had in the first place.

You seem to think, I give a shit about you're supposed "rules" to this thread.

I don't dance for any of you motherfuckers, you dance for me, lol.

Mad Daego

RWC said:
It just keeps getting better. I decided to find the drug statistics myself and it was even better than the initial point I refuted elsewhere- blacks make up 12% of the total U.S. population, 44% of the prison population and of that, 47.5% of the total number of imprisoned drug offenders. That means the total population of blacks in prison on drug charges 9.5%

Of total US populace?

RWC said:
which also means that over 34% of the prison population are blacks on non-drug related charges which begs the question: When is personal responsibility going to become a factor in this equation?

Eventually.

BSS said:
You seem to think, I give a shit about you're supposed "rules" to this thread.

You've got me all wrong. I'm diagramaing an opportunity for you to refute charges against your people in a reliable manner. I have a talent for asking the right questions, I see the big picture all the way down to the street level, and in order to fully explore this issue those are the first questions that need to be answered. I don't believe that blacks are simply held to different standards or predestined to commit crimes, there is something to maiss and in order to grasp this situation we have to get some facts straight.

I merely chastised you for living down to a stereotype. Thus far you've only accomplished a few really, really cheesy insults and denied an opportunity to turn some effort into results.

You must be a terrible failure in real life. Where do they hide your keys?