Router and Playstation questions

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SO... I really want to hook my new Playstation up and STUFF, but I really need to be able to hook it to the internet too so I can download updates and patches. Do I need to get a wireless router, or a wired router... OR WTF IS WIRED A ROUTER FOR? :rwmad: Wireless routers sound complicated. It all sounds complicated, tbh. I just want to play Skyrim :'(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SO.. Ok I was reading stuff online. I can get a wired router and make a LAN or something. Now I just need to figure out which router to use.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELp. lol

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I have a router that does both. My son has his xbox hardwire directly to the router but checks his email and text via pw protected wireless. It's easy to set up with included software. Pretty much does it for you plug and play. I'm not computer literate by any stretch of the imagination.

Cable from wall>cable modem>router>computer&xbox. The wireless is just on.

Individual results may vary.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I set up a wireless network and then my kids talk to japanese people on the Wii.

THATS ALL I KNOW

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
FINISH SKYWARD SWORD FIRST.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
A year ago I was still on dial up... now I'm looking at the wireless stuff. WHAT WILL I DO NEXT? Take over the world, imo.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Cassie, how do you connect to the internet currently?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Earlier I was kinda panicking about the whole wireless router thingy, now the wireless router sounds better, because I can also use it with that pos ereader I have, and maybe I could FIX THE DAMN THING.

So... I need a wireless router, and probably an adapter for the desktop. OR SOMETHIGN. now it's getting complicated again :rwmad:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

jack

thats easy...plug your ps3 into the DSL (same way as your laptop) use an ethernet cable.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

jack

dont you have multiple ethernet outs on the modem? You should have like 4. There should be an ethernet in to the ps3. That's how I do it. I have a wired router that uses the outlet to make the house wireless by plugging these jacks in. cheap and effective.

jack

all that stuff is cheap as hell and east to install btw.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just have a small modem with only one ethernet thingy. I was looking at prices and brands and stuff. I definitely don't want to spend a bunch of money, but I don't want to get a piece of shit that's gonna break. I think I saw the Cisco Linksys N router at Walmart for about $40, AND I just happen to have a Walmart gift card I haven't even used AT ALL lol. I wonder if I need to buy the same brand wireless adapter or if that even matters?

jack

that should work, mine was thirty bucks and you can ethernet 4 objects to the internet using your electrical outlets

SAUSAGEMAN

I just have a small modem with only one ethernet thingy. I was looking at prices and brands and stuff. I definitely don't want to spend a bunch of money, but I don't want to get a piece of shit that's gonna break. I think I saw the Cisco Linksys N router at Walmart for about $40, AND I just happen to have a Walmart gift card I haven't even used AT ALL lol. I wonder if I need to buy the same brand wireless adapter or if that even matters?

You don't need the same brand wireless card as your router.

But

You don't even need a wireless card for your PC. You can just plug an ethernet cable in your wireless router like you do now.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
You don't need the same brand wireless card as your router.

But

You don't even need a wireless card for your PC. You can just plug an ethernet cable in your wireless router like you do now.

Yeah this. If you can reach with a cable now you should do it with the router. It should have ethernet ports on the back so you can connect with a wire.

If you can, always have a wired connected over a wireless connection, but really these days it won't matter that much.