She-Hulk: Attorney At Law

The Question

Eternal
That said the "Oh, I'm a girl. Anything you can do I can do better," vibe I'm picking up from the trailer is a bit tedious. She-Hulk doesn't have to be better than the Hulk at everything. She doesn't even have to be better than the Hulk at a lot of things. Hulk is likely stronger and has a lot more experience and is scary smart. She-Hulk is an attorney. Hulk is a freaking rocket scientist. But this *is* 2020s Disney, so I guess we've got to be woke.
Yep. It's all about showing up the legacy male character she's replacing. They're not even bothering to put a single iota of effort into being subtle about it.

But ooooooh, don't you dare notice it!

:gagh:

MODMAN

Drinker.webp

Did someone mention ...
THE MESSAGE?

MODMAN

Watched episode 1.

Dialogue: quippy-tastic. Ugh.

The Message: Men outside Sports Bar suitably rapey; capacity for anger management infinite due to shitty men.

Obsession with Cap's virginity a bit weird.

I'll go 2.5 out of 5. Not enough to blow me away or keep my interest. The She-Hulk stuff is kinda fun. Bruce seemed a bit flat; dunno if Ruffalo was phoning it in.

I'll give it one more episode.

The Question

Eternal
I haven't bothered; I doubt I will. The trailer was loud and clear about this character being yet another incarnation of the Instant-Expert-At-Everything-She-Tries "Magical Girl" trope. I think the Mattie Ross version of Hawkeye was Quite Enough Of That.

It's not just fucking annoying in general, it's shit writing. No flaws and no learning curve means no character arc means no thanks.

whisky

Boobie inspector
You can never watch too much Critical Drinker (or RedLetterMedia).
I'm with you on RLM.

I watch drinker, but I don't always agree with him, and he seems to surround himself with a bunch of cut price copycats who just parrot his opinions.

The Question

Eternal
Bruce seemed a bit flat; dunno if Ruffalo was phoning it in.
Meh, MCU Hulk has been a fucking joke since they nerfed the shit out of him in the first ten minutes of Infinity War. In two minutes, the Hulk that got suplexed down the core of an entire high rise -- and was still ready to rock until his conscience settled him down -- takes a few punches, gets bodyslammed, and turns total pussy? Forget all the special effects, that plot contrivance destroyed my suspension of disbelief.

Last edited:

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I'd still let She-Hulk scissor me....anytime.

The Question

Eternal
There's probably a whole genre of crap on DeviantArt for that.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Hulks raw strength meant he could overcome most opponents without having to train in any combat skills, he would have been beaten by Thor if the grand master hadn't zapped Thor. Is it so hard to believe he could be beaten by Thanos who is both strong and a trained combatant?

The Question

Eternal
Hulks raw strength meant he could overcome most opponents without having to train in any combat skills, he would have been beaten by Thor if the grand master hadn't zapped Thor. Is it so hard to believe he could be beaten by Thanos who is both strong and a trained combatant?
One of Stark's suits made Thanos bleed. It wasn't even a Hulkbuster level suit.

The Hulkbuster suit, as mentioned, full-power bombed the Hulk all the way down the core of a high rise building, a pummeling which only dazed the Hulk for a moment. Hulk was ready to keep going, until he saw the terrified spectators and basically calmed himself down. There is a massive performance discrepancy between Age of Ultron Hulk and Infinity War Hulk. As in, the latter is a fraction as strong or as durable as the former.

The highly technical term for that is, "nerfed all the way to downtown Fucksville."

Put simply, they turned him into a joke. I can see why they did it. They wanted to establish Thanos as a credible threat. Problem is... it just doesn't work. They had to dial Hulk down to about 0.5% strength for Thanos to beat him, then keep him off the field entirely from then on. Age of Ultron Hulk would have turned Thanos into a pulp.

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
The suit that made Thanos bleed had nano tech not available to stark in age of Ultron.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I haven't bothered; I doubt I will. The trailer was loud and clear about this character being yet another incarnation of the Instant-Expert-At-Everything-She-Tries "Magical Girl" trope. I think the Mattie Ross version of Hawkeye was Quite Enough Of That.

It's not just fucking annoying in general, it's shit writing. No flaws and no learning curve means no character arc means no thanks.
Ooh... Suddenly it all clicks and the Mary Sue who is the center of the final "Star Wars" trilogy makes sense. That was the beginning of Woke Disney. :(

The Question

Eternal
The suit that made Thanos bleed had nano tech not available to stark in age of Ultron.
I don't see how that's meant to make a difference. Stark didn't channel the suit down Thanos' throat, then attack him from the inside out with it. (So much for the 'genius' brag...)

He used it in his 1 v 1 fight against Thanos the same way he used all his other armors. Hulk wasn't the only one they nerfed just so Thanos could look scary.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
What I liked most about the way the character was portrayed was that she kept her persona when she hulks out, unlike Banner. The only difference being the transmission of the "virus" they are sticking to the script, which is when I get interested, because I read all that stuff growing up and as an adult.

My take on the competition sequence was I liked it. "Smart" Hulk mansplaining how to be a hulk was very entertaining, which was why I liked her one upping him at every step and then explaining why it was arrogant to assume she couldn't figure it out herself. If women are not our equals (or better) then how fucking boring is that?

The courtroom apocalypse scene was just excellent.

So, we're in.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I don't see how that's meant to make a difference. Stark didn't channel the suit down Thanos' throat, then attack him from the inside out with it. (So much for the 'genius' brag...)

He used it in his 1 v 1 fight against Thanos the same way he used all his other armors. Hulk wasn't the only one they nerfed just so Thanos could look scary.
I'm not sure the point you are trying to make, the hulk didn't make Thanos bleed when Thanos still had all his armour on, with every stone he got he took more off, Tony drew one drop of blood when Thanos had no armour on. Thanos already had one or two stones when he fought the hulk, one of them being the power stone, the same stone that Ronin could have killed every being on Zandor with if he'd not been distracted by the dance off.

I don't mind arguing about a series of films based on children's comics, I've spent most of my life arguing why starships can fly in atmospheres, so it's a nice change.

The Question

Eternal
I'm not sure the point you are trying to make, the hulk didn't make Thanos bleed when Thanos still had all his armour on, with every stone he got he took more off, Tony drew one drop of blood when Thanos had no armour on. Thanos already had one or two stones when he fought the hulk, one of them being the power stone, the same stone that Ronin could have killed every being on Zandor with if he'd not been distracted by the dance off.
That's actually exactly the point I'm making. Stark made Thanos bleed when the Hulk didn't make a dent.

And, yes, Thanos had the power stone already -- well, we know what it looks like when he uses that, thanks to seeing him use it against Captain Marvel. He didn't do that when he fought Hulk. Even if he had, he had one stone more when he fought Stark, which is probably how he threw a moon at him.

So, really, all that goes into my point: Thanos was even more powerful when he fought Stark than he was when he fought a being strong enough to literally throw the Hulkbuster around like a rag doll in those moments when Stark was not two steps ahead.

They nerfed Hulk -- severely -- starting in Thor: Ragnarok. As a writer, I get that they had to do that, because Age of Ultron Hulk was so ridiculously OP that the villains who followed would have posed no real threat otherwise. And of course, I'm not saying they didn't nerf Thanos likewise. But had they nerfed neither, a full power Thanos vs AoU Hulk would have just escalated until Hulk probably hit Worldbreaker state. Narratively, that's clearly not what they wanted Infinity War to be, so they nerfed the shit out of Hulk to prevent that. Not to mention, Worldbreaker Hulk on a spaceship means a destroyed spaceship, and they sorta needed some of the other characters present to survive in order for the story to move forward.