SOPA. I wish this was a troll.

VKD

Banned
so no more Pirate Bay etc?

:(

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
No more TK, most likely. That will be Menty's risk to take or not, though.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I've been signing petitions and sharing links on FB and Twitter for weeks about SOPA.

I can understand the GOP wanting a police state, but why are the Dems not fighting it more vehemently? Fucking lobbyist money. And the fucking Bush Supreme Court, who upheld corporations' ability to own the government. Fuck.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I didn't expect it to get this bad this fast - and I think having a Dem as pres fooled us, too.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Are the servers based in Greece? If the registered owner and servers are based in Greece, then surely this won't mean anything?

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
That depends on where you physically live. I live in the US. I will likely have to leave the board :( I am giving it 24 hours or so to sink in, and figure this all out).

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
No, because there's a DNS blocking provision built into the bill, so they can keep people inside the US from accessing sites they can't shut down.

If you can remember all the press coverage about the Great Firewall of China back in 2008, it's going to be a lot like that.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
So maybe it's time for facebook. google, ebay et al. to show off how powerful they really are...

On a slight tangent: Hambil, have you by any chance followed up on the recent success of the "Piratenpartei" ("Pirates Party") in Germany? If you aren't familiar with them, here's a wiki giving you an impression on what they are about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Parties_International#Pirate_Party_movement_worldwide

So, basically, we have a completely new, very liberal party promoting the liberalisation of copyright laws and "free" internet gaining momentum and collecting all those non-voters and young ppl alledgedly "tired of politics" and having quite a good chance to get seats at the next elections to the Bundestag. Maybe that would be a good idea for the US, as well...

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I've been signing petitions and sharing links on FB and Twitter for weeks about SOPA.

I can understand the GOP wanting a police state, but why are the Dems not fighting it more vehemently? Fucking lobbyist money. And the fucking Bush Supreme Court, who upheld corporations' ability to own the government. Fuck.

GOP, Dems, they're all the same. They want power and are sucking on the teat of whoever pays them the most money. And right now, it's those who are pushing this horrible legislation. Really, the only hope is to have other large enough corporations fight against it with bigger bribes.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
And the TV show American Muslim's (a reality show about ordinary Muslim CITIZENS in the US and the struggles they face) is being boycotted (successfully) by the FFA because it doesn't depict Muslim's as terrorists....

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Wow I just went through all this. This is really going to become law somehow, or already has? How could they do this in secret?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They adjourned today without sending SOPA to the House floor, since they had to vote on a spending package that was more urgent. The vote is delayed until Congress is in session again, which may be after the New Year or possibly next week, if they don't get enough pre-holiday business done.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
It is here for visibility, to make sure all members are aware if this passes and of the possible consequences (to them and the board - non political). But if other staff feel it needs moved I won't fight it :)

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
4Chan has been spitting kittens about this for a few months now. It looks very likely to become the norm. How far spreading the DNS blocks are is to be seen. I doubt TK would be under such an umbrella ban but it's possible. Expect torrent sites and file sharing sites to vanish from your computer screens if you live in the US. We will still be able to access them in Europe until our fucking leaders decided to adopt the same draconian bullshit. It depends a lot on how far they go with this and not whether it will happen at all because it looks like it will now :/

It's amazing the Internet has been as free as it has been for so long. They don't like that.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Yeah, torrent sites and stuff may suck, but that's illegal already, really. What's going to hurt is youtube will be effectively shut down.