Star Trek Picard season 3

SAUSAGEMAN

Man this is not going to be novel but that episode has a really unique tone - it feels oppressive in a way that's really unique in TNG. I understand what Tomtrek is saying about it feeling like a violation. Everything about the episode is just screaming that it's wrong. That's super effective in the context of the tone of TNG. But if you give someone this episode as a template to build more Star Trek from, that doesn't work, because it's no longer contrasting against anything.

SAUSAGEMAN

this Captain Riker/First Officer Shelby relationship is really compelling. I find myself half-wishing the show had killed off Picard and gone in that direction.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Man this is not going to be novel but that episode has a really unique tone - it feels oppressive in a way that's really unique in TNG. I understand what Tomtrek is saying about it feeling like a violation. Everything about the episode is just screaming that it's wrong. That's super effective in the context of the tone of TNG. But if you give someone this episode as a template to build more Star Trek from, that doesn't work, because it's no longer contrasting against anything.
ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

StarMan™

Ha. It just clicked - DS9's 'Honey, I Shrunk The Roundabout' episode (One Little Ship).

It's between 0:06 - 0:12 ... That drift maneuver. Wow.

Over at the SA forums Timby said this was one of the first things Matalas had lined up and the writers' room thought it was horseshit, but he managed to push it through with Kurtzman's help.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Other stupid things I remembered...

Earlier in the season we see Vadic scared of Mysterious Hand Boss. But here we find out the Borg Queen is a pathetic broken mess who has to rely completely on Picard DNA to actually do anything. So what power did she have over Vadic?

They make a big deal about the Starfleet ships being NETWORKED and how that's a vital part of the Borg plan. Apparenlty this networking is important because it lets all the ships fire as one at Starbase? But...The Borg have a hive mind. They're already networked! They can act as one by default, they're Borg!

There was probably a third thing.

Last edited:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Wait a minute, was mysterious flaming hand boss the borg queen? I feel like they had the idea to use angry changlings but then couldn't figure out how to bring it all together at the end.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
:rwmad:

StarMan™

Other stupid things I remembered...

Earlier in the season we see Vadic scared of Mysterious Hand Boss. But here we find out the Borg Queen is a pathetic broken mess who has to rely completely on Picard DNA to actually do anything. So what power did she have over Vadic?

They make a big deal about the Starfleet ships being NETWORKED and how that's a vital part of the Borg plan. Apparenlty this networking is important because it lets all the ships fire as one at Starbase? But...The Borg have a hive mind. They're already networked! They can act by one by default, they're Borg!

There was probably a third thing.

Oh that's right, Floaty Head threatened her people. It was along the lines of her race and world would be rendered meaningless, or something.

Also, how long was the Mega Cube parked up in Jupiter? The Titan and The Enterprise both detected the cube. No early warning system or any stray sensor sweep in the Sol system pick up any anomalies beforehand? You'd think security would be pretty damn tight when you gather every ship in the fleet in one place.

I would forgive a lot of this if the story were cobbled together competently. But no, we had to do a goddamn mystery box which according to NuTrek rules can't be opened until the penultimate episode and then the writers slam their foot down on the plot accelerator.

The Question

Eternal
DS9 was the best at multiple-season overarching plots. They successfully hybridized episodic and serialized storytelling in a way that has not been equaled since, IMO.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Really tho, post-BOBW, Berman's gang was simply no longer interested in comfy Trek. The decided then that there was no going back. Both of the TNG-era spinoffs dealt with Federation values being tested (and sometimes failing) in hostile environments. VOY was a more simplistic example by stranding its crew, but DS9 went deeper, eventually plunging the Federation into a quadrant-crossing war, and adding the un-Roddenberryish element of Section 31 to canon. Earth was merely led to believe that it was a paradise, apparently.