Star Trek Picard season 3

The Question

Eternal
At least Ed Speleers as Patrick Stewart's son is within the 'suspension of disbelief zone', unlike Tom Hardy as Patrick Stewart's clone.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Other stupid things I remembered...

Earlier in the season we see Vadic scared of Mysterious Hand Boss. But here we find out the Borg Queen is a pathetic broken mess who has to rely completely on Picard DNA to actually do anything. So what power did she have over Vadic?

They make a big deal about the Starfleet ships being NETWORKED and how that's a vital part of the Borg plan. Apparenlty this networking is important because it lets all the ships fire as one at Starbase? But...The Borg have a hive mind. They're already networked! They can act as one by default, they're Borg!

There was probably a third thing.

Oh, I remembered the third thing!

The scene of Picard, Riker and Geordi powering down the Enterprise-D takes place AFTER the one year time jump. So...were they flying the D around for a year? Isn't that something we should have seen?

The Question

Eternal
So...were they flying the D around for a year?
Yes. I mean, considering the fact that it was refurbished to active fit and finish, and considering how fucking luxurious the thing is, they probably spent a year just living on it, like it was a free luxury hotel.

Wouldn't you, if you got an opportunity like that?

whisky

Boobie inspector
All three are wearing exactly the same clothes as a year ago too.

I remember feeling it was a bit daft you can just hold a wire to your neck to jack into the cube.

The Question

Eternal
I remember feeling it was a bit daft you can just hold a wire to your neck to jack into the cube.
You mean that isn't how EVERYBODY uses a computer?
No Way Disbelief GIF

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I just got around to seeing this because I've been busy and keeping weird hours over the past week or two, but I pretty much agree with most of you. In the end, the the main plot, such as it was, was overly drawn out and pretty ridiculous, but damned if I didn't like seeing those seven TNG characters together again in the final two. At points I thought that over the season all of the callbacks and Easter eggs were eyerollingly stupid for the most part, but they also sort of hit me at the same time. I think I described it to someone as a nostalgiagasm, which is pretty much what it was.

But that was a MUCH better sendoff for the TNG crew than fucking Nemesis was for sure. I could nitpick the hell out of a lot of it but it's a waste of time and keystrokes. I don't get why the Titan-A was rechristened as Enterprise-G, and I don't even know what happened to the ENT-F? Did I miss something?

AND IT WAS STILL SEVERAL MAGNITUDES BETTER THAN ANYTHING DISCOVERY!!!111

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think they said earlier it was being decommissioned.

Why does the Borg cube have weapons on the inside? Was it expecting ships to fly in there?

StarMan™

In the end, the the main plot, such as it was, was overly drawn out and pretty ridiculous, but damned if I didn't like seeing those seven TNG characters together again in the final two.

I mean, that's it in a nutshell, really.

I don't begrudge anyone who can enjoy the nostalgia wave for what it is. Personally, I wanted something with more substance that wasn't another damn mystery box. There were so many other ways this could've been constructed that delivered those awesome nostalgia-intense moments while still delivering an engaging, competent story.

And I have a particular quibble about the quippy dialogue. Worf as full-blown comic relief, for example. And the many other instances where they'd pull me out of the immersion with the clever / funny / quippy talk. It irritated me in SNW as well, but plenty of people don't seem to mind it.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I don't care for the whole Mystery Box shit either. It's just the way things are now. It should have ended with Lost, imho. Which I didn't mind either.

Aside from that, a little humor doesn't hurt either. I liked the whole Riker/Worf dynamic because it was there early on in TNG and progressed a bit throughout that series. And now they're 30 some years older, so. :bill:

CaptainWacky

All three are wearing exactly the same clothes as a year ago too.

They've sanitised assimilation so much, it's like an on/off switch now.

Why did the under 25s all have EVIL BLACK VEINS when they were assimilated? Aren't the veins like that because of the nanoprobes? They didn't have nanoprobes in them, just Jack's pyschic control and BORG DNA.

The Question

Eternal
Why did the under 25s all have EVIL BLACK VEINS when they were assimilated?
Because if they had all grown goatees, the absurdity would have been too far over the top even for NuTrek.

CaptainWacky

...then Spock dug up the body with his bare hands and handed it to Section 31. "It is LOGICAL you violate his corpse!"

The Question

Eternal
That's some pretty impressive AI/CGI.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I don't get the bit at the end, why is TMP Spock seeing things that happened in the future?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get the bit at the end, why is TMP Spock seeing things that happened in the future?
It's part of a much larger project to recreate iconic moments in Trek history in 3D. (possibly to even be toured inside rudimentary holodecks in the future?)

The Question

Eternal
Well, damn, I thought the Spock in that footage was CGI, but it's a 1:1 Leonard Nimoy lookalike.